BC Boards

Dangerous collar incident

Mine only wear collars when we go out -- I leave the collars (which are all the plastic spring-buckle type, Solo's is hemp, the others are nylon) attached to their leashes. They've gone naked in the house ever since I've had multiple dogs for the reasons described in the first post, and because jingling tags bother me. It's a holdover from apartment living, during which they would have had to negotiate at least three sets of doors to escape the building (thereby making escapes highly unlikely) and I feel safe about it now because none of them are door darters. Actually, if any of them did dart out the door they'd be most likely to just stand there on the front porch and stare at me waiting for me to come out too. I know, never say never, but I feel the risks of being at large without ID are pretty low compared to the risks of possible collar accidents in the house. All three are microchipped.

At home no collars or harnesses. Because Jin is a service dog he wears a harness and vest whenever we go out. Both are custom made to fit properly. Abby wears a choke chain that is exactly the right size. I don't remember the last time I had a lead on Abby.

Thanks for all of the replies...........and for all of the kind words saying you are glad Jes is OK. Me too!! And yes, it was *very* scary.

I am especially glad to have it pointed out to me that this wasn't really a freak accident; things like this are known to happen. I had just never thought of it, myself, despite the fact that I tend to be a contingency thinker especially with regard to my dogs.

I have never heard of floor grates being dangerous with collars..........I have floor grates in my house.........have you heard of dogs getting tags caught in them?

My 2 adult dogs could leave the property if they chose to; my fence is not very secure and they could dig under it easily. They don't leave because they do not want to, and are not wanderers by nature. Equally, they are not door-rushers; they are trained never to exit without permission. They'd not run off. Yet, I cannot help but be concerned if I leave them outside in the yard with no ID tags on them. On the unlikely chance that I did come home to find them gone I would hate it for them to have no external ID. (they are both chipped). If I am gone only a short time I leave them in the house, but if I have to be gone all day they need to be outside.

I am going to look into the boomerang and premier collars/tags that folks mentioned here. I'd not heard of them previously.

But right now, they don't have collars on at all unless we leave home. Don't know what my final decision will be about this.....

D'Elle

Archived