BC Boards

Getting close to getting a third...

Love it! I know Katie would love a third, she's not worried about training, or the cost, etc. She's worried about where they'll sleep, and we've been together long enough for me to know she wants a third but she'll need to meet the new prospect first.

Like I mentioned before Toby is very chill and Izzy is looking for someone else to play with most of the time. She is extremely active, not destructive thankfully, just full of get-up-and-go.

When people come over, Izzy is in the middle of it wanting pets from EVERYONE. I honestly believe when people come over she think we're having a party for her. Toby greets everyone then heads upstairs to his crate where he'll chill for about an hour then he'll come back an rejon the party.

The new one we're thinking of matches Izzy in social skills, wants to be with everyone and show how cute she is, which is what we're after.

I wish Toby would be more like that, but his past abuse still gets in the way, though he has made TREMEDOUS strides since joining our house.

Tim

One dog does bring the other along...is the new one a male or female?

I've never been one to mingle dogs with a group of people, especially when there's children about, but DH always trots the dogs out for a few minutes, and I have to say its done them all a lot of good. But we don't leave them milling about (too many silly, non dog people in my family, especially) soo....

My husband is hard at work remodeling the mudroom into an indoor kennel as we speak .. tile floor, regulation kennel spaces, and a fenced in route directly to the fenced yard. Last year the mud those pups found, especially Robin was unbelievable and they didn't come to us until May so this year I've put my foot down about them roaring into the kitchen, dining room and the rest of the house directly from outside. I'll still have to swab the deck on a daily basis during mud season, but it will only be one the one floor. And it will give them a quiet space to retreat when we've got a houseful. Plus, if we leave, someone can come two-three times a day to check on them and let them out as needed, without actually going into the house at all. Save $$$$ boarding to pay for the project.

DH isn't 100% happy about it (suspecting perhaps that he's the one who'll be going downstairs to let them out every morning) so I haven't yet told him I'd like one of those walk in shower base kind of sinks to hose off the dogs when we come back from the farm. How, in a foot of snow, Robin found something stinky to roll in today I'll never know...but that's our Robin. :rolleyes:.

It sounds like you'll be bringing a new critter home real soon....:D

Liz

One dog does bring the other along...is the new one a male or female?

I've never been one to mingle dogs with a group of people, especially when there's children about, but DH always trots the dogs out for a few minutes, and I have to say its done them all a lot of good. But we don't leave them milling about (too many silly, non dog people in my family, especially) soo....

My husband is hard at work remodeling the mudroom into an indoor kennel as we speak .. tile floor, regulation kennel spaces, and a fenced in route directly to the fenced yard. Last year the mud those pups found, especially Robin was unbelievable and they didn't come to us until May so this year I've put my foot down about them roaring into the kitchen, dining room and the rest of the house directly from outside. I'll still have to swab the deck on a daily basis during mud season, but it will only be one the one floor. And it will give them a quiet space to retreat when we've got a houseful. Plus, if we leave, someone can come two-three times a day to check on them and let them out as needed, without actually going into the house at all. Save $$$$ boarding to pay for the project.

DH isn't 100% happy about it (suspecting perhaps that he's the one who'll be going downstairs to let them out every morning) so I haven't yet told him I'd like one of those walk in shower base kind of sinks to hose off the dogs when we come back from the farm. How, in a foot of snow, Robin found something stinky to roll in today I'll never know...but that's our Robin. :rolleyes:.

It sounds like you'll be bringing a new critter home real soon....:D

Liz

What a great idea! I wonder if I could build something like it at our house....our living room attaches to the deck with a sliding door and they come in and out through there and the floor being carpeted...well you do the math. We're putting down wood flooring, but the idea of a seperate room just for them would be great, I could do it off the garage.

We're taking the ride Sat. morning. DW is now more onboard than me! She keeps talking about what we'll do with her, showing her to the family, etc. Too funny.

Tim

Haven't read all the responses, but I will say that 3 dogs is about 5 times more work than 2.

I'm with Ruth. If you never plan to do anything other than hang out at home with the dogs, three may not make much of a difference (as long as they get along). That's the way it is here.

But as soon as you hit the road, by choice or out of necessity, three is a big change. Their leashes get tangled, motels won't let you stay with that many dogs, the car doesn't have enough room for all the crates, you can't have them off leash as often since you don't have enough eyes to keep track of all three at once, people who are scared of dogs get really scared when you approach with a pack, your parents and friends aren't quite as excited as they used to be when you come visit...the list goes on.

I love each of my dogs, and at home I greatly enjoy watching (and being part of) the interactions and pack dynamics, but as soon as we leave the house, over and over I find myself wishing I were back to two.

Also, if you live in a neighborhood where barking is frowned on, each additional dog risks pushing you into problem territory there.

I'm not trying to talk you out of anything Tim, just providing some balance to the thread for others who might be considering it.

What a great idea! I wonder if I could build something like it at our house....our living room attaches to the deck with a sliding door and they come in and out through there and the floor being carpeted...well you do the math. We're putting down wood flooring, but the idea of a seperate room just for them would be great, I could do it off the garage.

We're taking the ride Sat. morning. DW is now more onboard than me! She keeps talking about what we'll do with her, showing her to the family, etc. Too funny.

Tim

May I borrow you? DH is still grumbling about the project -- but then he's a contractor, so its a busman's holiday for him to do anything at home:) but I think the dogs are happier and I know for sure the cat is -- she always considered the study her territory. It just makes sense to have one room devoted to the critters, if you're having more than one dog, especially if you're going out to a farm. They don't always come back smelling like a rose of any kind :rolleyes:.

Have a fun visit and report back..! I think others have siad that if you want a dog that will work stock with you, look for that ability. Its hard to do when you see those eyes, but keep in mind what you want out of the dog.

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Ejano, I wouldn't mind helping out. I spent a weekend building a house for my two in the backyard under a huge pine tree so when they were tired of racing and chasing they'd have someplace to chill out without having to come in the house. I even built it so I doesn't sit directly on the ground, I have yet to see either one go inside :rolleyes:.

We don't really travel because everytime we make plans SOMETHING always comes up. Thankfully our parents love dogs and are happy to have the chaos :D My mum LOVES Toby...who doesn't, everyone loves a split face!

Not sure if I mentioned this, but this won't be a permanant thing until we get there and see how everyone gets along. I could very well come home with as many as I started the day with.

Tim

I know this is silly but my partner doesn't really have a say. He will rattle on about why we can't get another but when the said dog (foster) turns up he suggests we just keep her instead. My puppy was a definite no no until we were at the airport to pick her up :D and because I drove back he held her in the car and wouldn't let go of her when we got her home. He does get angry when someone destroys something or steals a piece of chicken off his plate :rolleyes: which never did happen again, but he loves them sometimes I swear more than I could. And it's beautiful to see him come home and the very first thing he has to do is put on his game face and say hello to all three of his babies before they have a heart attack because DADDYS HOME!!! They scream and howl until he pats each one individually and for a length of time before they are contented that he has said a sufficient hello and they will sit down somewhere. Dad is the boss and they know that what he says goes but they love him more than I've ever seen a dog love someone. As for vet trips which I am extremely lucky and only ever had one, he demanded he came and puppy got special treatment for weeks when all she did was drink pool water and bloated.

But to answer the original question 3 dogs is easy, as someone said learning to wait your turn for a pat is the hardest part I think about owning multiple dogs. My girls all sleep in crates at night and spend the day together, I take each dog out individually for training, but they all come for competitions. I only have an Hyundai Excel but we still manage to fit me and my partner, 3 border collies, my 1 year old son, 2-3 dog crates and all our baby/dog equipment for the day. (Not to mention the sub/amp in the boot takes up more space than all three dogs combined.) So it can be done and with great rewards!

I know this is silly but my partner doesn't really have a say. He will rattle on about why we can't get another but when the said dog (foster) turns up he suggests we just keep her instead. My puppy was a definite no no until we were at the airport to pick her up :D and because I drove back he held her in the car and wouldn't let go of her when we got her home. He does get angry when someone destroys something or steals a piece of chicken off his plate :rolleyes: which never did happen again, but he loves them sometimes I swear more than I could. And it's beautiful to see him come home and the very first thing he has to do is put on his game face and say hello to all three of his babies before they have a heart attack because DADDYS HOME!!! They scream and howl until he pats each one individually and for a length of time before they are contented that he has said a sufficient hello and they will sit down somewhere. Dad is the boss and they know that what he says goes but they love him more than I've ever seen a dog love someone. As for vet trips which I am extremely lucky and only ever had one, he demanded he came and puppy got special treatment for weeks when all she did was drink pool water and bloated.

But to answer the original question 3 dogs is easy, as someone said learning to wait your turn for a pat is the hardest part I think about owning multiple dogs. My girls all sleep in crates at night and spend the day together, I take each dog out individually for training, but they all come for competitions. I only have an Hyundai Excel but we still manage to fit me and my partner, 3 border collies, my 1 year old son, 2-3 dog crates and all our baby/dog equipment for the day. (Not to mention the sub/amp in the boot takes up more space than all three dogs combined.) So it can be done and with great rewards!

Dh was the same way after we lost our Lucky Girl and Willie to old age...too painful to lose another one, he said. Won't go through it. But we brought Ladybug home for him, mainly as everyone in the family could easily see how much he missed Lucky, especially. We waited about six months, then little Ladybug showed up at the pound right at Christmas. So, I blame all the current circus atmosphere in our house on Ladybug. If that furry little enchanted Celtic princess had never come into our home, we would never have gotten Scotty; if we hadn't lost Scotty so traumatically, we never would have gone looking for Robin; if we hadn't gone looking for Robin, we never would have met Brodie. It's a slippery slope, with no free will involved :D.

And they're the same way when "Mr Squeaky Toy" comes home. Mr. Squeaky Toy doesn't wear stockings, so he enjoys a far more enthusiastic greeting, I come in, they wag their tails then go their respective ways until I get settled in and out of "dress" clothes. Then, we have a nice hello time. I was so proud last night when I came in that Robin came to the door, said hi with a wag of the tail and a kiss on my hand, then hustled back to his "spot" , allowing me to transition from work to home without pestering me. We're getting there!

Liz

Archived