BC Boards

Still no word on Dally and genie

Today I'm trying to borrow or Hire bloodhounds to see if they can track them when the snow melts this weekend. There is a family who is extended family of mine who has them for search and rescue. I'm not sure but, I thought it was worth a try.

My dad is still saying I may have to face the fact that they fell victim to a coyote pack. I know that they are really here and a genuine threat to my dogs if they went into the woods.

It sort of gives you a bit of insite into what it must be like to have your child go missing or runaway. I know losing a child must be 10 times this but, that feeling everytime the phone rings and you hope it will be the call your waiting for.

I am still hopeful for you that they will turn up. My friend's dog took off one day - they lived in Trenton, NJ, he turned up a week later in a shelter in northern NJ about 70 miles away. Keeping positive thoughts for you, it is supposed to be 50 this weekend, I hope that will help.

No matter what, hang on to hope. The only way I would have no more hope for their return is if I saw proof that I should stop hoping. There are an infinite amount of possibilities, good and bad, of what could have happened to them, and so we can't help but speculate, especially when we're frantic with worry. And yes, your hopes going to wane, but don't write Dally and Genie off yet. Hang onto to even a last thread of hope.

I am still hopeful for you that they will turn up. My friend's dog took off one day - they lived in Trenton, NJ, he turned up a week later in a shelter in northern NJ about 70 miles away. Keeping positive thoughts for you, it is supposed to be 50 this weekend, I hope that will help.

I have all those covered unless they were taken to an NJ pound. Most of the pounds in this area have territory that is so huge I have to have over 100+ square miles covered. The pound for my actual home address is 35 miles north of me. The next closest are 35 miles east or south or west.

They all cover an individual county and I called and filed with 7 counties.

When Wick was lost, I had a bloodhound try to track her. While she didn't find her, it kind of gave us an idea of where she might be. Wick ran away from a community centre in a fairly busy city (Vancouver) and ended up in Pacific Spirit Park, which is a 763 hectare park in the city. What made the search even harder is that I'd only had Wick for 3 days when she ran away from obedience class (yes, I see the irony now). So not only was she lost in a totally strange place, she barely knew me, probably didn't know her name, and oh yeah, she'd just been spayed so really shouldn't be running around off-leash.

I thought after 3 days, she must have been hit by a car and she was lying dead in a lane or something. But then, people started calling, saying that they saw her in the park. Some of the tips were weird - she was walking with a man, she was with someone's group of dogs. On the 7th day, a woman called and said she was standing across the trail from her. I raced out to where she was ... but Wick had gotten nervous and left. I was so depressed, exhausted, and frustrated, and then my phone rang again. It was my dogwalkers - and they had her! And she wanted to go on a walk!

Anyway, from what I can gather, Wick had been hit by a car (she had a bruised lung and some lacerations) and probably hid in the woods (where she might have had a scuffle or two with coyotes), until she decided that she wasn't go to die, and that she was going to try to find her way out of this pickle.

I only tell you this because I can relate to the sick feeling you have when you go to bed at night, not knowing where your dog is, or even if she's alive. I hope your story has as happy an ending as Wick's. and you and your dogs are in my prayers.

Sheryl

I just heard a very sad story but maybe worth mentioning.

A friend of mine back in MO had her dog go missing they didn't realize till after dark that day. They went looking but didn't find her till morning. Unfortunatly they found her at the bottom of an abandoned well that was on neighboring prop.

I was shocked that an abandoned well could be left open for anything to fall into. They retrived the dead body and placed plywood on the hole just to keep wildlife and other dogs from finding it in the same manner as their beloved pet.

I'm not saying that's what happend but do you have any abandoned buildings or wells in the area?

Still hanging on to hope and praying all the time.

I wouldn't give up on them yet. My vet's bc jumped a fence over 10 yrs ago during a thunderstorm. @ 10 days later she was found approximately 60 miles away. I had an indoor only cat get out who was gone for almost 2 weeks before showing up. I'm keeping all of you in my prayers.

Sheryl

I just heard a very sad story but maybe worth mentioning.

A friend of mine back in MO had her dog go missing they didn't realize till after dark that day. They went looking but didn't find her till morning. Unfortunatly they found her at the bottom of an abandoned well that was on neighboring prop.

I was shocked that an abandoned well could be left open for anything to fall into. They retrived the dead body and placed plywood on the hole just to keep wildlife and other dogs from finding it in the same manner as their beloved pet.

I'm not saying that's what happend but do you have any abandoned buildings or wells in the area?

Still hanging on to hope and praying all the time.

There is nothing but, open buildings so I do know they have shelter Open wells arent really likely. I even have an open shed on my property. It's the thing that you notice after yoru looking is that there are so many things to crawl under into that unless someone spots them or they can finally walk back to here. I have no way to guess. I expanded my Pic postings to even farther away today. Gave pics to even further away gated securities.

If Dave didnt show up in that area I wouldnt have even considered it. The only issue i have with that is that Dave is running at full speed away in a storm in the middle of the summer. I had already covered the area where Genies Dad turned up a previous summer when we picked him up at a shelter and he escaped within 20 mins.

Today I'm trying to borrow or Hire bloodhounds to see if they can track them when the snow melts this weekend. There is a family who is extended family of mine who has them for search and rescue. I'm not sure but, I thought it was worth a try.

My dad is still saying I may have to face the fact that they fell victim to a coyote pack. I know that they are really here and a genuine threat to my dogs if they went into the woods.

It sort of gives you a bit of insite into what it must be like to have your child go missing or runaway. I know losing a child must be 10 times this but, that feeling everytime the phone rings and you hope it will be the call your waiting for.

I've been following this, but haven't posted at all.

When I was in HS, my cat Midnight (who had chronic sinus issues and NO TEETH, and wasn't the healthiest cat, although she was a badass, tough cat with attitude) accidentally got out right before a blizzard hit. We got three feet of snow. I thought she was a goner.

Two weeks later, I was at a friend's house and my dad calls with, "your cat's back." Yep, she showed up. She dropped down to 6lbs from 8lbs, but otherwise was none the worse for wear. When the vet checked her out, she said that she most likely got lost/holed up in the snow, but wherever she was, she didn't eat due to the amount of body weight lost. Other than that, she was perfectly fine, and she gained the weight back right away.

So don't give up hope. If my toothless, snotty (literally) cat could make it back after two weeks, two healthy Border Collies can.

When Wick was lost, I had a bloodhound try to track her. While she didn't find her, it kind of gave us an idea of where she might be. Wick ran away from a community centre in a fairly busy city (Vancouver) and ended up in Pacific Spirit Park, which is a 763 hectare park in the city. What made the search even harder is that I'd only had Wick for 3 days when she ran away from obedience class (yes, I see the irony now). So not only was she lost in a totally strange place, she barely knew me, probably didn't know her name, and oh yeah, she'd just been spayed so really shouldn't be running around off-leash.

I thought after 3 days, she must have been hit by a car and she was lying dead in a lane or something. But then, people started calling, saying that they saw her in the park. Some of the tips were weird - she was walking with a man, she was with someone's group of dogs. On the 7th day, a woman called and said she was standing across the trail from her. I raced out to where she was ... but Wick had gotten nervous and left. I was so depressed, exhausted, and frustrated, and then my phone rang again. It was my dogwalkers - and they had her! And she wanted to go on a walk!

Anyway, from what I can gather, Wick had been hit by a car (she had a bruised lung and some lacerations) and probably hid in the woods (where she might have had a scuffle or two with coyotes), until she decided that she wasn't go to die, and that she was going to try to find her way out of this pickle.

I only tell you this because I can relate to the sick feeling you have when you go to bed at night, not knowing where your dog is, or even if she's alive. I hope your story has as happy an ending as Wick's. and you and your dogs are in my prayers.

A former boss' Border Collie went missing once while she was on vacation. Two days later, she showed up at the house of the dogsitter's boyfriend. She had been over there a couple times, and adored the guy. He was leaving for work, and she came around the side of the house and jumped in his truck. It was about 7 miles away from where she went missing.

I had a cat disappear in December and reappear in March, nothing but skin and bones. The nearest human habitation was dozens of miles away, so she somehow survived the snow on her own. That cat was no spring chicken when she went missing, but she still lived many more years after her return.

Another cat climbed onto a boat and went on an ocean voyage to another port, where someone recognized her and brought her back to me.

Miracles happen. Keep your hopes up.

I just last night read about this service in Readers Digest, I think:

http://www.findtoto.com/

The gist of it is, if you pay them a fee, they call a large number of people in your area to announce that the dog is lost. The bigger the circle, the more expensive. Don't know how good it is, but the principle of spreading the word seems sound.

Mary

wishing you the best....

I finally got a solid lead on finding them today. They did run up into the woods after my neighbors loose horses. It doesnt guarantee they are safe but, it gives me a place to check and it also explains why they havent been seen. I Know there is shelter and water there. I hope with the warmer weather that I will be able to go up there this weekend to look.

I'm hoping Genie learned alot in her previous walkabouts in life.

Archived