BC Boards

Pet Names

Donald McCaig

One lesson on naming I have learned and can pass along to everyone is spell your dog's name the way most people will spell it. It can be amazing just how many dogs appear next to your name in points lists if you have an odd way of spelling your dog's name.

Mark

Donald, have you enjoyed the show you started? :rolleyes:

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dear Doggers,

Ms River writes: "Anyway, like I said the "fancy names" are just for me, something that I enjoy because I like words."

Like her, I am fond of words. I named the "Stink Dog" because a dog with that name had saved a friend from an overzealous mother cow. I named "Bit o'Scot" because that dog was running in trials when I wrote "Nop's Trials".

When I wrote "Jacob's Ladder" the characters in each Civil War regiment bore the names of real soldiers in that regiment.

My persnickedyness has born some odd fruit. Because family names are particularly important here in the south, and because I didn't wish to explain why I'd called someone's 19th century ancestor a "slave dealer" I selected the name of a real slave dealer, Silas Omohundru for an important character. His business records were in special collections at UVa, otherwise I knew nothing about him. My Silas married one of his slaves and was killed in 1865.

Some years after I published the book a Richmond friend asked, "How did you know about Silas Omohundru?"

Turned out Mr. Omohundru had married one of his slaves and freed her and their children when he died in 1865.

I believe names deserve respect and, while some may think my concern for sheepdog names is either harping on nothing or arguing for purity in a dog-political battle, that's not my intent.

Choosing a novel clever name for a dog from a culture which has a traditional naming pattern is like calling the Biblical Isaiah "Ike" or Jesus "J. Christ". Yeah, you can do it and the dog won't care. Hell, you own him don't you? Show us how clever you are.

Donald McCaig

ETA - though of course I don't know you or your ability to learn, so I should more properly say that statement does not apply to everyone and ought not dissuade people interested in stockwork.

Okay Susan,

Let's see how many people on this board trial successfully at open level and do not actually have any sheep. I would actually find it very interesting. I have heard of people in the past who actually managed to do so.

Even better, let's see if we get a count of the number of people who have to pay for sheep time, if they can find someone willing to rent out their sheep, who are trialing in open or even better yet those who have to pay for a lesson every single time they get their dog on sheep who are trialing successfully in either ranch or open.

I was at a lesson with very experienced handlers, who trial and own sheep, once a week, unless weather did not permit for about a year. I read books, went to watch handlers work their own dogs, stayed to watch more experienced people's lessons, read books, (including quite a few of Donald's :rolleyes: ), read religiously on Little Hats and did everything else I could to learn more about sheep and sheepdog handling.

My dog, Enna, did progress, to a point where I was then consistenly told by several handlers who I either took lessons with or went to seminars with that Enna needed more sheep time then she was getting. This is completely aside from the fact that yes, I am certainly a beginner and certainly needed my own sheep time! I received three offers from people, all of whom really liked Enna, to send her with them for training. All of these offers were quite pricey on top of weekly lessons, trips to sheep, herding clinics, etc.

So, while it would have perhaps been possible, had I given up activities with my other dogs as I said, no longer spent money training or competing in agility, managed to find somewhere to rent more time on sheep and in all probability was willing to send Enna off for training, to progress, I wasn't willing to do that so eventually gave it up.

In the future, should I ever find myself at a place where herding regularly would be a long term possibility, I would most likely buy a trained dog who could help train me or send a dog off for training, all of which is kind of pointless unless I would have regular access to sheep.

Jen

Hum....this thing has gone off somewhere.....kinda interesting.......

Anyway....

I have a Cap- he is mostly white with black spot on his head.

Gun-Gunny- Uh.....she is like a gun, the dog you get out when there is trouble.

Sweep the Broom- who I spoke about earlier.

Before Granpa died, he thought I should give a dog an Osage name.

So I did

Taw- My youngest dog- And that means either What? or Deer depending on how you say it.

I have a LGD named Sgt Jesus Kilwolski

Hey- Zoos- the spanish way

(Although I have volunteers that have upset people by yelling, 'Jesus quit barking!'....the english way.)

----------------------------------------

My sled team have names like

Keet

Kip

Nuk

Mac

I have a hawks and owl named Byrd, yoshi and Boo....Tho Bryds FORMAL name is Admiral Byrd

My horses are

Blue

Sterling

(The two back on the rez are Skimmer and Smoke.)

lets see I call Pete- Darling Pete

My Girl is Cierra- but I call her Tsu-

I like short names........

If my Old Pop had his way and they had named me Terpchicorie

I would have been called Terp?

--------------------------------

This thread seems to be a bit "much ado about nothing." I agree with Julie that the idea of registered name/call name does indeed reek of ACK, and, as Eileen has pointed out, those so-and-so-of-such-and-such names have way too many characters for ABCA. And I don't get why you would name the dog one thing and call it something else. Tradition is great, and I can understand why so many here in the US continue to use those "top 100 names." They want to emulate the "great ones" from across the pond (that may also be why we hear such awful attempts at a "Scottish accent" when telling their dogs to "lie dune!"). I also agree that a one or two syllable name makes perfect sense for a working dog, as a practical matter.

However, this ain't the UK, and my dogs are *not* "sheepdogs"; they are cowdogs, specifically, or just stockdogs, as they can and do work sheep, goats, and cattle. I also don't want my dogs to have the same names as a gazillion other dogs, as I like to think that I can be a bit original, while still fitting into the "one or two syllable" working dog parameters. My dogs are not imported; they are US bred, and so it seems fitting to me to perhaps start my own, more Americanized, if you will, version of naming working stockdogs.

I am also a person who makes some money with words. I am a linguist and a writer, and so that helps shape the names I come up with. My tradition of names began with Riddle (my dogs prior to that had just random names). I like the syllabic-L ending, so decided to stick with that, for as long as I can continue to come up with names that work. Then came Trubble--I deliberately changed the spelling to "lighten" it a bit, so it wasn't such a "heavy" or ominous name. Then came Tikkle (so named because it fit the syllabic-L ending, but also because her mother had a tick disease in the last stages of gestation, and the list Tick-L was very helpful in keeping both mother and all the pups alive and well). Again, as a linguist, I like the non-traditional spelling. Next came Raskle--well, it fits the pattern, and it certainly fits her. This naming pattern is only for dogs that I plan to keep *for me.* Those that I raise and train to sell have other random, one or two syllable names that seem to fit the dog.

A

As someone who doesn't actually belong on either "side" of this

debate, as my dogs are neither stockdogs, nor agility types, they

are indeed pets, strictly family members, I have always given my

dogs human names. From the time when we got our first dog, until

there comes a time when, for whatever reason, I don't have a dog

in the house, they will continue to have human names.

I have never really even thought about it much before reading this

thread. It's just the way we've always been. Our dogs have always

been " family" first. Whether they've been hunting dogs, or strictly

pets, I've never named a dog something like Spot or Rover. There

has been a Tammy, Samantha (Sam), Katie, Maggie and Dave.

Actually, we did have a little yellow stray dog that we kept for short

while until his owners showed up, we called him "Alabastor", only

because it sounded better than "yellow bastard" , which he was.

I don't have any problem with people who want to name their dogs

whatever they want, I just can't bring myself to meet someone

while walking my dogs and have to tell them his name is "Spot".

It just seems to typical too me, not that the names I've named

my dogs aren't typical, because I know they are, but I just feel

it's more personal I guess.

I do get a kick out of meeting new people and telling them that

our new dog is "Dave" though, I've had reactions from one side

of the spectrum to the other. From "that's the most stupid name

for a dog that I've ever heard", to a beaming grin or all out laughter.

At that point, I know who to greet on our walks and who to pass by.

I have met people and talk to some of them daily, on our walks,

that I would probably never had met, had it not been for my dogs.

People should name their pets whatever they want or feel comfortable

with. After all, you have to be the one hollering their name in the backyard

from time to time. I would rather say something like Dave or Maggie

instead of Queenie or Fluffy. Maybe it's just me. And for what it's worth,

my next dog that comes along will be called "Woodrow", can't wait to tell

the folks on our walking route that one.

Mike

I always try to come up with names that aren't quite as common without being off the wall weird. It's hard coming up with short names when you have as many dogs over the years as we have. On long road trips, I amuse myself coming up with my next dog name. My newest pup I just named Tally. My last one is BJ (short for Bobbie Jo) So there you go, she has a different call name than what's on her papers. You won't even get so much as an ear twitch if you call her Bobbie Jo because she never gets called that. I actually came up with BJ first and then decided what to have it stand for. Putting just BJ on the papers didn't seem right to me somehow.

Renee

I oftentimes think that when someone gives a dog an "unfortunate" name (like the bully-boy aggressive names) that it seems to make the dog - at least in the eyes of the people who casually meet the dog. It also does reflect on the owner. First impressions and all that.

On the other side of the coin, how many dogs named "Precious" or "Angel" or something else over-the-top endearing, are actually anything but - they seem to either be snappy, nasty little ill-behaved hellions that run the household or something tied out in the backyard and forgotten. A prime example of a name certainly not "making the dog". :rolleyes:

Nope, this is not really an important topic but it has certainly been a topic for lively discussion. To each their own, always remembering that what we do and what we say does make an impression.

Seriously the only thing that really annoys me with border collie naming are the kennel names that play on stock dog language, but are clearly not working bred.

I like traditional idea of one to two syllable names, but also ones that are fairly unique. Missy came with a name that fit, so she kept it. It's a common name, but it's her. With Kipp I wanted a traditional type name that wasn't too common. I added the extra p to give it a touch more masculinity. For Kenzi, I went through a whole mental list of possible names that I'd been collecting. I wanted something simple and unique that wasn't too similar to my other two dogs or dogs that I'm around frequently. When it comes right down to it, I'm the one who is going to live with the dog for the next 10-15 years, so I'd better like whatever I name them!!

When it comes right down to it, I'm the one who is going to live with the dog for the next 10-15 years, so I'd better like whatever I name them!!

LOL. I never did like the name Flick and wondered why I couldn't have picked a better name for this little dog who was to become such a huge part of my life. I wondered even more when I realized that filling out a form of some sort, by printing her name, I had to carefully space the letters, especially the L & I. If I didn't, it would look the the F word in the space for "dog's name". As time went on, I couldn't imagine her being anything but Flick, and because she was who she was, maybe that name isn't too bad afterall.

I named Tam after a character in Scottish folklore --- very masculine, fearless. He turned out to be all of that and more. However, in this country, people tended not to get it. They wondered why I would name such a masculine looking dog a girly name (Tammie). People from Scotland though, got it.

Seriously the only thing that really annoys me with border collie naming are the kennel names that play on stock dog language, but are clearly not working bred.

Amen to that, and those are often the very ones that claim their dogs would be Open dogs if they just had the time (or something similar).

Okay Susan,

Let's see how many people on this board trial successfully at open level and do not actually have any sheep. I would actually find it very interesting. I have heard of people in the past who actually managed to do so.

...I was at a lesson with very experienced handlers, who trial and own sheep, once a week, unless weather did not permit for about a year. I read books, went to watch handlers work their own dogs, stayed to watch more experienced people's lessons, read books, (including quite a few of Donald's smile.gif ), read religiously on Little Hats and did everything else I could to learn more about sheep and sheepdog handling.

My dog, Enna, did progress, to a point where I was then consistenly told by several handlers who I either took lessons with or went to seminars with that Enna needed more sheep time then she was getting....

Jen

[boldface added]

This is such a tangent from this thread, but - what I was responding to was your meaning of "progress" in your statement

I also concluded somewhat reluctantly as Enna showed quite a bit of natural ability on sheep, that unless I got my own sheep, which would mean housing them somewhere away from my suburban home and was willing to dedicate the time neeeded get my dogs on them almost daily at the expense of all other activities - or was willing to send my dog off for months and pay the $$$ to have someone train her - that we really would not progress.

I think it's possible to progress without having ones own sheep, without working daily, and without dedicating time at the expense of all other activities.

Yes, it might take more than another year or two to get to Open.

What is progress in stockdog training? That might be worth asking on another forum.

Susan

I think it's possible to progress without having ones own sheep, without working daily, and without dedicating time at the expense of all other activities.

Yes, it might take more than another year or two to get to Open.

Susan

fyi

I've heard a rule of thumb that it takes a dog 5 years to gain enough training and experience to be successful in open.

At some point beyond 9 years of age open dogs begin to slow down enough that they are retired from this sized course.

Be aware that slowing the dog's progress in training and experience can ultimately limit the maximum level it can acheive. Simply getting to open is not the end goal, that's the easy part.

Okay Susan,

I know at least three open handlers in my area who trial successfully yet do not own their own sheep.

Even better, let's see if we get a count of the number of people who have to pay for sheep time, if they can find someone willing to rent out their sheep, who are trialing in open or even better yet those who have to pay for a lesson every single time they get their dog on sheep who are trialing successfully in either ranch or open.

I don't have my own sheep, and I trial at the open ranch level. I did send my dog out for a few months of training last year, but I'd still be trialing at the pro-novice/open ranch level if I hadn't (he just wouldn't be as polished, and though I am trying my hardest now to maintain his training, he and I do sometimes fall back to old, unconstructive habits). There are other non-sheep-owning people in my area who compete at the open ranch level who haven't sent their dogs out at all. But I don't pay for sheep time every time I work my dog. I rent time on sheep regularly, but I have become part of the stockdog community in my area, and have friends who will also let me work my dog on their sheep on their land. In exchange, I help out when I can. It can be done. It is taking us a bit longer to progress than perhaps it would have if I had my own sheep, and I still have a heckuva lot to learn, but it can be done. And I know I am limiting the maximum level my dog can achieve, but, suckily, I'm simply not in a position right now to have my own sheep.

Anna,

I agree. By happenstance, my young dogs started ending up with bird names (Lark, Phoebe, Pipit--Pip for short), but when Ranger came along I just couldn't come up with a bird name that fit. Someone mentioned Scout to me, but I know a lot of Scouts and it just didn't appeal. But Scout led to Ranger, which has several meanings for me: Airborne Ranger: tough, fearless; the Rangers like Aragorn/Strider (hmmm...maybe this is a reflection of Ranger's good looks, lol!) in Lord of the Rings--smart, fast, fearless, cunning, etc.; the Lone Ranger--fighting for right. Maybe I've put a lot of meaning on his shoulders for him to live up to, lol! The funny thing is that when I chose the name, I commented to a friend that you just don't hear that name anymore. It was more popular sometime in the 50s maybe. But of course as soon as I named him that, I started running into people (literally and figuratively) with dogs named Ranger. (And no one liked the idea of me naming him Kelso, after the racehorse.) Go figure....

Jen,

Although I own my own sheep now, I was running successfully in open, even running in the finals, before I owned sheep. I actually find myself less motivated to go out and train with sheep right here in my "back yard" than I did when I had to go somewhere to work sheep. Nowadays most work consists of the actual work that needs doing and not any real training. That's probably a reflection of my laziness as a trainer though. :rolleyes:

J.

Although I own my own sheep now, I was running successfully in open, even running in the finals, before I owned sheep. I actually find myself less motivated to go out and train with sheep right here in my "back yard" than I did when I had to go somewhere to work sheep. Nowadays most work consists of the actual work that needs doing and not any real training. That's probably a reflection of my laziness as a trainer though. :rolleyes:

Someday, when I live somewhere else, I may just try again. For now, unfortunately I just don't have the free time or access to get on sheep enough or the $$$ to afford rental time or field rental to keep my own. Nice to know it is possible though. :D

Jen

I think the reason this thread generated so much discussion is, because as someone mentioned earlier (sorry, can't find your message to give you credit), pet names are such a personal thing. My husband and I spent a lot of time deciding on names for our dogs. When I posted my last message, I was thinking that some would judge "Sputnik" a bad name (not traditional, 2 syllables, frivilous, disrespectful). But loosely translated, Sputnik means "travelling companion" - this is totally how we view our dogs - not as children, but beings who share our lives (of which sheep are a big part).

Kim

... "travelling companion" - this is totally how we view our dogs - not as children, but beings who share our lives ...

That is also how I view my dogs and they -- especially my foster, Rhys bach -- take that very literally (companion: one you share your bread with) by stealing any loaf of bread I leave in reach.

Hi Donald,

If names matter, and are meant to connote respect, and you're going to insist on titles in our dialogue, then mine is Dr., not Ms. -- however, I'd rather remain on a first name basis if that's OK with you. We've met on a number of occasions, so I was assuming that "Donald" was OK.

I don't consider it disrespectful to anyone that I choose not to name my dogs traditional names. (One of them does have a traditional name, but I didn't name her, and it's a name I personally like.) I am no more a Scottish shepherd than I am a dog show dragon lady, and names are personal, so why should I be expected to name my dogs traditional names? By giving my dogs names that mean something to ME I am expressing their value to me and my love for them, and to me, that is respectful of the tradition that made them. Aping someone else's culture isn't the only way to express respect.

You've explained why you chose the names you gave to characters in Jacob's Ladder. I am an evolutionary biologist, and have historical (prehistoric, actually) reasons for naming my favorite dog after two fossil sites. If names constitute a hidden "code" that is understood only by in-group members then this might suggest that I was naming him for the benefit of other evolutionary biologists, and it's true that they're the only ones who "get" his name (just like Ben was the only one here who apparently "got" my ex-Papillon's name). I have yet to meet any dog fancier who knew that Ashfall is a site with zillions of fosslized three-toed horsies or that the Solo River is where Eugene Dubois found the first Homo erectus fossils, much less that Anopheles is the genus name of the malaria mosquito. It is quite a stretch to suggest that the names I gave my dogs were for the dog fancy's benefit.

I have no personal, historical, or indeed, biological connections to British culture, other than the fact that I am American and that the United States owes Britain a number of cultural debts. My heart does not swell at the sound of bagpipes. As to your other example, I grew up in the South (I am from Virginia too, but the part that the rest of Virginia considers "the fake Virginia" so maybe that doesn't count to you) and oh yes, do I know that family names mean a lot down there, but unlike you, I don't necessarily consider that a positive thing. (I don't have the same fond affection for the South that you might, maybe because I grew up hearing people ask me "So, yer not from around here, are yuh?" even though, actually, I was. But I digress.) The names I give my dogs mean something to ME. And, well, I just don't like the name Moss. Sorry.

Archived