BC Boards

Hi, Im new.

Originally posted by Roo:

I still however think that barbie collies are beautiful and whos to say that they do not have herding ability (I mean cant they be bred for both). Also a dog that doesnt have decent conformation isnt worth his beans b/c he will have health problems. JMO. [/QB]

Its easy for a new people to the herding dog world to doubt that Barbies might have herding ability or that you can breed for looks and still get ability. But it just doesn't happen that way. A few Barbies do still have "some" abilities but most don't and they are all heading that way.

Conformation of a Border Collie is proven on the farm and on the trial field, the only place it should be proven. Can you think of a better way to test a dog's conformation to do a certain task other then having it do that task over and over again for hours and hours?

If and when you start herding, you will (should) gain a full understanding of this by seeing Border Collies herd and then Barbie Collies that would rather watch the clouds then herd anything.

Anyway, welcome to the Board. You have some pretty looking dogs, I love Ace. He reminds me of my female's brother. And congrats on getting a dog from GLBCR, I am friends with a few people that run it. She looks like a cutie and I think her name is neat. Good luck with her!

Katelynn

Originally posted by Roo:

Your dogs are beautiful Snorri. They really look like brothers are they full or half?

They are half-brothers, and worse! They are uncle and nephew as well! One of Kali's litter-brothers ("Roy") did the naughty with his own Mum, and Snorri was the handsomest of the six results! A true farmyard tink!

Snorri was the smallest of the litter - the son of the farmer used to be i/c the puppies, but he shot himself not long before Snorri was born. After this, the pups got enough food to keep them going alright, but not really enough to let them grow (ignorance, not neglect): when Snorri arrived here and was given "textbook" feeds, with no competition from brothers, he grew like the proverbial weed, virtually doubling in size by the week. A month after we got him, I took him to a local show (as a spectator!) and met someone who had taken one of Snorri's brothers. To start with, this guy wouldn't believe Snorri was a brother, because he was so big in comparison!

All the dogs from that farm (and there are a few!) look pretty much alike - not identical, but there's a definite family "look".

Although my Boys are a couple of lazy household pooches, they were born with a good working ancestry. I have no idea how good (or otherwise) they would be. I've had ridiculous offers of cash for them from farmers who seem to think they'd be good, but I have a principle that I don't sell my best pals!

Snorri

Originally posted by Shetlander:

quote:
Originally posted by Snorri the Priest:

P.S. - second thoughts: perhaps my two should be referred to as "Barbarian Collies" :rolleyes: :D :D :D :D

I love it! Mind if I borrow the phrase for my little barbarian prince? Be my guest! I'm trying desperately to remember the name of Arnie Schwarzenegger's lady friend in "Conan the Barbarian".

I suppose I set the scene for the barbarity of my two by giving them Norse names from the Sagas! If you were to see them falling on their dinner bowls like a horde of rapacious Vikings on a nunnery, you'd know what I mean!

Snorri

:D

Originally posted by Snorri the Priest:

I suppose I set the scene for the barbarity of my two by giving them Norse names from the Sagas! If you were to see them falling on their dinner bowls like a horde of rapacious Vikings on a nunnery, you'd know what I mean!

I know what you mean though I've never heard it described quite that way before. :rolleyes: When guests are startled to see my three fall on their food, I tell them "Keep your hands in the car at all times." The Sheltie and the Lhasa get such a pitiable amount that they're done in 20 seconds, including madly licking the bowl. Then the Sheltie licks the Lhasa's bowl, then her bowl, then the Lhasa's, then hers, then ends by snarling at the Lhasa who tries hard to stay out of her way.

Mealtimes aren't especially peaceful or one would think conducive to good digestion around here