BC Boards

Robin sick - been to vet

ejano

Robin was sick again right after eating just a little bit of left over dinner tonight....licking the tomato sauce off a TV dinner. I thought it appeared to be worms in it, so I got my trusty flashlight and a large toothpick and sorted through the gunk. I found a wad of string about a two inches in diameter (flat, not round)

We think he ingested an unknown quantity of string/yarn....perhaps as long ago as last week. DH remembered that Robin swiped and shredded a cone of yarn last Saturday and so he may have ingested string/yarn then as he was sick for the first time on Sunday. I didn't see anything in particular in the sick that night , but I'd other problems to deal with....but I did think then that he might have eaten something odd...this dog has the grazing habits of a goat! I went through the toys, etc, and picked up all of the tug ropes, frayed or not, emptied all the wastebaskets in every room, and the recycling but I must have missed something he or Brodie had stashed because today the vet thought he'd ingested this string in the past 24 hours.

I ran him to the vet immediately today -- they were closing at 5 PM but looked him over and his temp and attitude were normal so they told me to keep him on ice chips, watch his bowel habits overnight and bring him back in the morning. He'll have some x-rays to see if anything is wrapped around his intestines....hopefully not as he will have to have surgery to remove any blockages.

Please let him be okay. I don't want to lose another dog to stupidity.

I gave him the ice like the vet suggested and about fifteen minutes later he threw up again..bile this time.

Do I take him to the ER vet who is an hour and a half away in the city and has probably never even seen a Border Collie or wait for my own vet in this morning? Robin doesn't look much different but he isn't taking any more ice or water.

Liz

I'd take him in. He's obviously not feeling well. Sending good thoughts your way. Sounds like a long night ahead for you and Robin. Will be watching anxiously for updates.

Pam

Take him in. I have dealt with this with my girl Zoe (she really is the dog I learned everything through, god love her!) when I brought her home she was very very sick. Turned out she had a blockage in her bowel. They had to operate on an 8 week old puppy but she's fine! Best to get it xrayed and looked at quickly to avoid any complications. Zoe had eaten screws/rocks at her "BYBer's house" (before I knew anything 11 years ago it seemed like a great idea to buy the cute lab puppy in the pet store window).

((((Hugs to you and Robin)))) we are thinking of you and crossing fingers, toes & paws here in Nova Scotia!!!!!

Kirby ate a carpet when he was 5 years old. I to this day cant imagine why at 5 he decided to not only destroy my carpet but, eat it too but, that's neither here nor there.

He ingested the carpet approximately 2 weeks before he finally had surgery because the vet thought I was crazy to even think there was something like that happening. Then he passed some carpet later that week so he felt sure that all would be well. WHen they finally removed his blockage they had to remove 1/3 of his stomach and a good portion of small intestine due to gangrene. Total weight of carpet, rabbit fur, and grass about 3lbs.

I prepared for the worst brought a van to haul my terribly sick dog home from the vet and he leaped into the car without looking back and basically acted like nothing ever happened. He did love the home cooked meal for 2 weeks though.

So no I wouldnt wait but, I also wouldnt worry as this will be more than likely be a speed bump in an otherwise long life.

Robin's okay! Xrays showed no blockages, bloodwork okay....some lingering gas ..so whatever he had, he got rid of and now is just upset tummy. He's got some meds to help his stomach and a bland diet for the next few days.

Whew! Thanks all for your advice and good wishes.

Liz

Archived