BC Boards

Very excited. Vala has focus! Drive!

After having Vala with us for almost six months -- we adopted her August 24, so it'll be six months on the 24th of February -- she is a changed dog. It's amazing. Yes she's had a lot of vetting: we finished antibiotics for kennel cough, a bunch of dewormers for tapes and hooks, a bunch of DOXY/IVM cycling and a first Immiticide shot for heartworms. Yes we've shown her a great deal of affection, attention, training, and tender loving care. But this once skinny matted yellow-and-pink-furred 27.1 pound timid hider who jumped at every noise and bolted for her kennel, sometimes knocking it over on its side, now weighs in at 30.5 pounds (healthy but still svelte and shiny shiny pure white fur) and only hides (rather calmly, trotting to the bathroom) at thunder and thunder-like sounds. She doesn't mind dancing or yawning, she is ok with the cats (except when Nyx taunts her, she will do light chasing, I need to be more consistent about crating Nyx when she taunts Vala actually, can't wait till that kitten grows up darn it!), and Vala is PLAYING. Really playing. She also is eating regular food and not guarding it from the cats; I can leave it out all day! She is so easy and sweet! And such wonderful fun to have around. We were really lucky to find her! I know lots of people have new BCs, rescues, that seem timid or reactive. This is just an update to remind everyone of what a difference a mere six months can make! Thanks everyone for all your suggestions about how to treat a timid dog, and about how to work with dog/cat households and resource guarding me from other animals!

But what really excites me and why I've been inspired to post this is the DRIVE I am seeing. I am so excited to see interest in learning and playing games! She is loving hide and seek now, she's learning fetch (she's a hoarder so it doesn't come naturally), and she's so focused during hide and seek, she keeps trying to instigate the game by going to the spot where I make her wait. She's learned the names of two toys so far that she will focus very intently on finding (tiger and rope) and can differentiate, and she loves the "hup" command I give her to jump the lowest bar of the agility set my husband made for us which we keep in the backyard (nothing too strenuous yet). She is so cute and she actually seems to have a work ethic where once she was so distractible and insecure (probably from being sick and nervous). Tonight she was running circles around the backyard, looping back toward the bar when I said "ready HUP" and jumping the low bar, and then sitting at my feet and staring up soulfully into my eyes for her reward petting. And she is obsessed with hide and seek, you should see the look on her face as she tries to find the toy and the way she bounds out of the bathroom happily and with gusto when I say "Where is _______?" Seriously it is so great to see the BC focus on her face. I wasn't sure if she had it in her but she does. She really does. :rolleyes:

Then

post-9869-1266555657_thumb.jpg

Now

post-9869-1266555463_thumb.jpg

Now the only thing left we really have to do is kick what's left of the heartworms... I am tempted to go slowly... After only one shot of Immiticide and only 6 months, she is no doubt still positive but I can't be home with her really for a second course of two shots, until spring break, and she reacted so strongly to the first one, and honestly she seems so healthy now -- such a huge difference after just one shot and all the DOXY/IVM cycling -- I wonder if I shouldn't just continue on the DOXY/IVM course... I will need to talk it over with my vet next week, but she's been off DOXY for a full week now and has had zero heartworm symptoms so we have been doing something right!

Yeah, what a difference in the before and after!!

Vala is a lucky lucky girl, and it sounds like she has fit in so well with your family! What a great update, and seh sounds like a wonderful dog. :rolleyes:

She is great! And she does fit in perfectly with our family. She really does seem to enjoy the pet life. She gets one long walk a day, including recall practice in the field, and then a few short training/play sessions throughout the day, but most of her free time is spent on her back on the bed, stretched out, luxuriating. When she's cured of the heartworms, I imagine she'll want more consistent and longer-lasting activity - at which point she'll get it! But for now I think she figures she's got it good. Thanks, all, for the well wishing!

Archived