BC Boards

new old dog behaviors

Melanie thanks for the good topic. I've got Jaax who is 13 years old, other than being deaf now is physically still in good shape. He would help with moving sheep and cattle, but it would be on his terms since he usually isn't looking for direction. He barks more than he used to but I think that's because he can't hear himself. No problems with eating weird things like mud or counter surfing, but he does get some table scraps in his dinners. His teeth are in amazing shape and he has all of them except one little one in the front which gives him a charming gap when he smiles.

Then I've got two 12 year olds. Hope is bothered a bit more by her arthritis and stands and whines at times but that doesn't seem to be from pain, it's just a statement. She will eat dirt in the summer, but seems happy eating sheep & cow poop now while it's cold. She did lose a canine last summer, but she's still eating fine. She's also still the fun monitor. She definitely doesn't want Wilbur to play with Zoe, but she can grab her by the scruff and tug. She'll also bounce around and bark at the others.

Bear is in the worst shape, but still better than when we got him 3 years ago from the shelter. He had a rough life before with a bad diet (his teeth are really worn down and in bad shape) and the shelter knew he had been hit by a car at least twice when he was younger and he's bothered by arthritis. Pain meds, vitamin E, fish oil and glucosamine are given to the 3 older ones regularly. Bear does stand and look off into space sometimes like he doesn't know why he got up. He's also the worst about counter surfing and several times he's shredded everything in the bag of paper recyclables (no food stuff in there). He also wakes up barking for no real reason.

All 3 of them go thru times of needing to go out in the middle of the night. It's painful sometimes to watch them and there are times when I'd really just like to roll over and go back to sleep but then I think that they won't be around forever and I just get up. I'm surprised that so many of the "odd" things mine do are the same as other people's dogs.

Laura

Solo has taken up mud-eating.

A little late on the uptake here, but at 16 years old Zippy (the Pap) has starting eating mud. It's like he's desperate for it - and it drives me batty. He takes it in doses though - and thankfully the ground has been rather frozen lately since it seems all I have is mud now. He does appear to prefer certain spots of mud though - like an old man's gotta know where the GOOD mud is.

He seems to occasionally go out and then forget why he's there, and then sometimes he'll lose me when I'm in plain sight. Part of this is his hearing is gone and sight is going, but sometimes I think he just... forgets. He loses himself a little I think, so when we're out walking I try to keep him closer than I have before.

I hate this dogs getting old thing. :rolleyes:

Solo definitely has his favorite patches of mud, along with his favorite patches of grass. We go for walks in the Pioneer Cemetery just off the UO campus in Eugene and he always has to visit Wallace and Mettie Hockaday -- apparently the best grass grows on top of them.

I haven't said much about Fly in this thread. Fly is actually almost six months older than Solo (she'll be 12 this December) but other than being a bit thick around the middle and slightly less elastic when she runs she hasn't changed one iota over the eight years I've had her. Fly's behavior is absolutely consistent across all contexts, both situationally and chronologically, and she's just as silly, playful, and ready to go go go as she has ever been. Most people, including experienced dog people, guess her age to be 4 or 5 at the most. Fly is not what anyone would call a deep thinker, and seems like she will remain a puppy at heart her entire life.

When Fly slows down it's going to be especially sad; even though I love Solo more he has always seemed older than his years, personality-wise, and getting old suits him better than it will Fly. I mentioned once before that if Fly had a talk bubble above her head, it would always say, "Yay!" and if that ever changes it'll be really, really depressing. I have a hard time imagining that though.

• 4 years later...

Can anyone help with my 12 year old BC? We put a new set of steps on the entrance to the house and she is terrified of using them. She gets a frightened glazed look when she comes near them. They are actually safer for her than the previous steps. They are wider and the landing is much bigger. Any suggestions?

Thank you

I noticed some of these same behaviors in our Viszla when he reached about 12 years old. Humans experience what is known as "Sundowners" when they start into the early stages of dimentia. They can seem fine during the day but get more confused, symptomatic at night. I often wondered if Jake, the Viszla, wasn't experiencing the same syndrome.

The steps are wood like the previous ones. These are natural wood colored. The others were stained red. Both have treads. The new steps are deeper by about 4 inches, and have about a 1 inch shorter rise. And the landing is much bigger. I think ultimately they will be easier for her to use.

Borders are so intelligent, as you know. Others have said just to leave opportunity for new good behaviors, but don't encourage because they are also stubborn.

So I have been leaving the door open and letting her set the pace.

Any other thoughts are welcomed.

"The steps are wood like the previous ones. These are natural wood colored. The others were stained red. Both have treads. The new steps are deeper by about 4 inches, and have about a 1 inch shorter rise. And the landing is much bigger. I think ultimately they will be easier for her to use.

Borders are so intelligent, as you know. Others have said just to leave opportunity for new good behaviors, but don't encourage because they are also stubborn.

So I have been leaving the door open and letting her set the pace.

Any other thoughts are welcomed."

maybe the new wood either feels or smells different.

Is she food motivated? will that encourage her up?

Many dogs don't like change of any kind. A lot of border collies seem to be worried that change means imminent and painful death. Both my departed Shoshone and now Gibbs have that attitude.

Put a tiny bit of something yummy and stinky on the 2nd step up. Let her get close to the Dangerous New Thing for a little while, every so often adding the yummy stinky thing to coax her closer. When she's comfortable with that, put the yummy stinky tidbit on the next step up. And so on.

You can substitute her favorite toy if she's more of a toy lover than food. In any event, letting her go at her own pace with this change is the absolute right thing to do. No coaxing or reassuring. Somehow that can send an already anxious dog into spasms of fear. Matter-of-fact and easy does it are what works best.

Good luck!

Ruth and SuperGibbs, who has become more resilient with repeated exposure to new things