BC Boards

Boy just bit Fynne again

I wasn't going to say anything but it's been a bad day here today. Boy is acting fine physically, but he's been lashing out, several times today, out of the blue. He and Fynne were outside running happily together and he turned on her. Afterwards he acted like nothing happened and tried to get her to play with him.

This is just one example. I don't want to get into it all now, I'm too emotionally tired, but he's crated because I don't trust him.

I emailed TAMU and asked what I'm supposed to do. If his aggression is due to pain and he's already on pain meds...

Please, if anyone has been through anything similar, please tell me the story. Good or bad, I need something to go on.

(((((((hugs))))))) for you and the gang. :rolleyes:

With Boy acting wierd like that, how does Fynne react? Does she just dismiss it like she knows something is wrong with Boy or....like she would be ready to fight back if she had to? I was thinking that through Fynne's reactions you might be able to get a little closer into Boy's head. Fynne is the only one that would know exactly what Boy is thinking, and she might be easier to read because she isn't actually the one going through all this.

Maybe, I don't know, it is to late at night. Just a thought though.

Good luck to you all.

He was generally grumpy for a handful of days prior to getting x-rayed and Fynne was wary of him. He bit her during that time.

The last couple of days or so he acts normal, perky, playful. Just normal. Like I said, he's caused her to cry out a couple other times the last couple days but I saw no injuries until tonight.

Fynne has acted normal with him the last couple of days too. She hasn't been wary of him. When he got onto her the other couple of times she acted the same way she did tonight, and then they were right back to playing and having fun.

Same thing tonight. If I had not made her lay down at my feet then she would have accepted his invitations to play. She's not acting wary of him. When he bit her tonight she ran to me like, "Dang, what's the matter with him?", but she got over it in no time.

Boyden is the only dog she can be around so far. The only other dog was gramma's big old baby of a Lab who was completely non-threatening to her, even though she was horrible to him. She'd still act out if he was anything but submissive though and it took 3 weeks to get to that point.

If Boy keeps this up then it will likely set Fynne way back in her progress towards other dogs. Imagine a person who is terrified of dogs, finally learns to like and trust a dog, and then that dog turns on them for no reason. It wouldn't take too many times to sour the person to dogs.

I have been searching and searching and searching for information on other dogs who lash out. Jeanine here on the boards told her story and it wasn't good. The dog eventually had to be put down because it would lash out at it's owners, even with medication for pain.

If a dog has a painful ear infection, then it's predictable that the dog will lash out if you grab it's ear, or maybe even go to pet it on top of the head.

What do you do if the dog lashes out out of that ear context though? How can you know when it's going to lash out?

Earlier today Boy was laying down under the coffee table. Hubby was at work, Fynne was in the crate out of his view, and the cats were not around. I was lounging on the couch surfing the net. Then I hear Boy start growling low and deep. I peeked under the coffee table and he wasn't doing like if he heard a noise outside. His ears were not perked up like if there was some sort of percieved threat outside. He was just laying there growling low and deep and looking at nothing in particular. That worried me so I put him in the crate, in case he decided to lash out at me or something.

He's in the crate now too because I just don't know what to expect from him. I don't know if I'll leave him in there all night, or if I should let them sleep in the room with us like always.

He has not been acting "off" the last couple of days. I know he'll be weird when he has that "off" expression, but he has been normal, happy, playful - just regular Boyden.

I don't know what to do. Keep him in the crate until the 9th?

Boy will have to stay in the crate tonight. :rolleyes:

I can't even see the screen through my tears.

Both dogs have been lying down since my last post. I called Fynne to me, and that meant she would have to walk past Boy. She got up and started coming towards me and Boy gave her the dirtiest look and lifted his lip. Fynne stopped dead in her tracks.

I said Boy's name and he looked at me in the weirdest way. I can't even begin to descibe it. Like "help me".

I had him go in the crate and shut the door. Not a minute later my cat jumped up on the back of the couch and Boy snarled at him with the meanest look in his eyes.

I just called Fynne up on the couch to me (for some comfort) and she started to come up, but saw Boy and stopped, then came on the other side where there's only a few inches (because I have the coffee table pulled up against the couch) and jumped up over me to get on the couch.

I need answers NOW. I can't wait until the 9th. I don't know what he's capable of and I sure as heck don't trust him at all right now.

Hey Miz:

I am so sorry about all of this. I may be off but, could have have some swelling in his spinal cord that is causing some issues? What I mean, is since his vertebrae are really off, he may seem fine, but he may have inflamed it by playing a day earlier, and then feel the effects. He clearly is not right, and I know you must be so upset- I would be. My gut says that he needs an anti-inflamatory, like a steroid injection. I have had them. I have three levels fused in my neck and have arthritis in another. Long after the surgery I was getting these headaches, that would well, make me so painful, that I HAD to lay flat. My mood was exponentially bad. I got ONE shot, and I was HUMAN again. Months of relief. No painful looking face, no hunched shoulders, no misery. Just normal me. I believe he is pain that nsaids, and other reg pain meds won't help. He needs a major anti- inflamatory. Of course, to get this he would need to be anesthetized. But, if this works, you have your answer. I also would try and keep him from doing anything that makes him shake his head, or move his neck in an anything but gentle fashion. One other thing, massaging him daily will help. Believe it or not, start at his head, and work in small circles all over, in a progressive fashion, and move down the sides of his neck, particularly where his neck meets his shoulders. There are lots of trigger points there. Feel for little bumps- and work them, basically get to know his body. This, if done daily will get his muscle tension released.

I believe he is in extraordinary pain, and I can completely relate.

Julie

I don't know Julie. I called our regular vet shortly after my last post and left a message for her to call me. Something needs to be done today. Last fall (when he was like this) she gave me her cell, home, and dad's home number and told me to call at any time of the day or night if things got bad.

Once the sun came up (so I could see) I shut Fynne in the bedroom and went outside with Boy. He seemed bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. We walked around the yard for a few, then I brought him in for a drink of water and put him back in the crate.

I went and let Fynne out of the bedroom and she glued herself to my leg as I walked. I wasn't sure what she was doing until we rounded the corner to the living room and she cautiously peered around. She's scared. I just patted the other side of the couch (by the crate) for her to come, and she won't.

I can not say what you should do . All i know is it sounds like Boy is not trust worthy at this time .Pain can cause lots of problems.

If he was mine I would have him wear a Muzzle when out of his crate . They have the wier ones so he can pant and drink water but can not bite. All I know is if BOY REALY GETS INTO IT WITH Flynne she could be badly hurt .Or he could go after the cats or even you.

I am sorry for your situation it is hard. i have a lab anmd a aussie both female anmd they now must not be together when free . They will be playing one min. than before you can do anything they are at each other . This has happened 2 times in 6 years . both times the labs left ear needed surgery ,and the last time the aussie eye almost was injured.

It is not the best of situations but it is not so bad Seperation is better than injury and the emotional drain that happens when you blam yourself. I have 2 other dogs Bcs that will play with the lab and eavch other , the aussie plays to hard for my female Bc but plays wiyh my boy.

My thoughts are with you bobh

I'd do exactly what you're doing - try to get in touch with the vet. And like Julie said, I'd talk with her about steroids. They are usually a last resort, but could possibly help relieve his pain while you're waiting for your appt. with T A&M.

I wasn't there, so you'll need to be the final interpreter of Boy's behavior but . . . rather than being unpredictable, I'd say this is fairly normal dog behavior. I think Boy is "resetting the boundaries" with Fynne. He's in essence saying, "I'm in pain and you can't be rough with me." My Yeats did this recently after his spinal cord infarction. Depending on how bad the bite was (was it a warning or a "real" bite), I wouldn't muzzle him or necessarily reprimand him for doing this (because he needs to be able to tell her to back off), but I would try to protect him from getting hurt (i.e., don't put him in the position where he needs to tell her off). And, of course, it would be good to get better control of his pain. Again, this is my interpretation of what I've seen with my dogs and my situation. . .

Kim

Miztiki,

I am no help, just sad for your situation. Prayers for all of you, 2 and 4 legged. It is really hard to know the right thing to do. You want to help Boy and understand him, but you can't allow him to hurt Flynne or you and possibly damage Flynne's future permanently.

Tammy

Hi Miztiki,

I would just like to add that it is clear you are also very much on edge and upset about of all this... perhaps part of Boys behaviour is related to the energy in the house?

It also sounds like some of it is related to you, ie. cat by you, maybe due to the energy Flynn wanting come over to you.. Why dont you try just getting up and walking away.

When he is biting he is he puncturing her or tearing her skin?

My older BC (10) has a really bad shoulder(bone spurs in the rotator cuff ect), she has good days and bad.. and is on lot of support and sometimes pain meds. I have noticed that she is ALOT grumpier and on guard with the other dogs around in the last couple of years.. they tend to be careless and knock her or run by her and bang her, when she is sore this IS really hard on her body!! It has now just become a bit of a learned behaviour with her , I am very careful to give her the space she needs to feel comfortable with the other dogs around.

Cheers

Cindy

Miztiki,

I'm so sorry for your situation. I know you don't want to hear this but sometimes you have to look at dog's quality of life not the lenght of it. Ask your vet for his/her honest opinion on the pain Boyden is enduring. If they can't make a big difference in his pain managment then maybe it is time to let him go. I recently had to make this decision and it was very hard, but I couldn't take seeing my old girl in pain. What is life if it's just endless misery? I hope I am wrong and something can be done for him. I know you will do what is right for him. I wish you strength and peace of mind for the ordeal you are going through. Best wishes, Mona

Aw Miz dang it. I cant help you at all, but I want you to know you're in my prayers. I do agree that I wouldnt let Boy near Fynne, but I also want you to watch out for yourself. If you cant tell when he's gonna act funky, it isnt safe for you or Mr. Tiki. Please Miz, I know in your heart you love Boy so much and want things right, but be safe. No one wants a busted up Miz on top of a busted up Boy. Big hugs to all of you.

The pain meds maybe hiding the messages to Flynne, so she can't read Boy. On the medicine, he may not be giving his normal signals to Flynne, and so she is given the wrong signals. I think you're doing the right thing though, I don't have any advise, good luck; and hang in there!

Joe

I fell asleep on the couch!

My vet just called. Dr. Haug (TAMU) emailed before I fell asleep and said see if my vet can prescribe Tramadol. Not sure if that's with the Deramaxx or what. I'll have to look up Tramadol and see what it is. Anyway, I told the vet and she's going to look into some things and call me back.

Dr. Haug wants me to video Boy so her and the neurologist can see his demeanor and gait, and mail it ahead of the appointment.

She also said to keep the animals away from him until his appointment.

Yes, he broke the skin when he bit Fynne, both times. It was 3 holes last time and one last night. He will lash out whether I'm nearby or not and it started before I even knew he had pain, but yeah, I'm sad, upset, all of that, no doubt.

I'm really tired right now though. I'm going to take some more of a nap.

Thank you for all of your support. Our family sure does appreciate it a whole lot!

At this point, I would trust Fynne's reaction. If she is afraid of Boy, then that's what you should be - well not afraid exactly, but definitely not trusting. Fynne is the one not in pain - her behaviour should be dead on correct as to what's going on.

The other thing I'm thinking about Boy is perhaps all this fusion, spinal cord issues are also affecting his brain functions - at base of spinal cord area, thus making him... psycho/unpredictable. Plus possible pain.

I'm glad advice was given to keep him isolated from others. Good plan.

I pray you have plenty of strength to get you through until the 9th.

Can you use a baby gate to create a part of the house where Boy can rest without worrying about other animals approaching him, and where the other animals can relax knowing they are out of Boy's space?

It seems like the best policy for the moment would be to try to do things that will reduce everyone's stress. I guess others have said that too. The comment about Boy "resetting the rules" makes sense to me. He is asking for a change in how the house is run. I would assume he is doing it because of his pain, not just to take over running the household. Your job is to figure out what he's asking for.

Good luck. Not an easy situation. Boy and Fynne are both lucky to have you.