BC Boards

Deaf Border Collie signs

Sue R

I have seen signs before that said something like "deaf (or blind) Border Collie" and were for erecting along the roadside. I don't seem able to find them on the web but I know they must be out there somewhere.

We had a scare with Megan last night. Being apparently quite deaf, she is very skittish about being touched when she doesn't realize you have come up behind her. We were headed out to do the cattle chores and it was almost dark. Because of the high snow banks, we did not realize a truck was coming down the snow-covered hill until it was at least half-way down and we were right at the bend at the bottom, where we couldn't be seen by the truck, either. Ed and I called the dogs and said, "Car!" and of course we were able to have Celt safely placed immediately. But Megan, who was in the mouth of the neighbors' driveway with us, was oblivious and so Ed went over to her and touched her.

Well, she started and jumped, and then ran towards me (I was closer to the road) and, as I reached to intercept her, she was already worried and ran past - right into the road in the path of the truck! Fortunately, they were not going fast (and maybe they had seen us and, if they are familiar with us, know the dogs are always along). But what Megan did was to lay down right in the road. She understands the "car" command (well, at least back when she could hear it) to mean "lie down right now" but has always taken it to the extreme of lying down where she was - even in the road. The other dogs have always grasped the idea of "out of the road and lie down".

Fortunately, the truck was slow and I gave Megan the hand signal for "here" and she came. I'd like to put up one of those signs at either end of our property/yard just so folks driving by could be aware that she can't hear. Some folks just tend to assume a dog is aware of them or might just honk the horn. Other than the driver who deliberatedly ran down my Skye some 7+ years ago (and we think he's passed away), our neighbors have always been considerate and, of course, we try to be careful, especially with her.

Well, long story but short question - does anyone know where to order the signs?

For right now, make something. Black acrylic paint on a yellow piece of foam board, the kind used for display projects by school kids, stuck on a fence post would work. Make sure you make the letters large - measure a stop sign or something.

I'd paint Deaf Dog, Please Drive Slowly, rather than Deaf Border Collie.

Ruth

Just an FYI, a sign like that isn't legal (i.e. approved by the MUTCD) and if you erect one on state or city right-of-way, the state/city can remove it. The only similar sign I have seen is "Blind Pedestrian."

I didn't consider that. However, I do think that on my rural road, as long as the sign is on property we own or rent, there would not be an issue.

I did locate a company that makes diamond-shaped, yellow signs that say "CAUTION DEAF DOG", which would do the job I think. I'm still looking for something that I have seen before, a rectangular yellow sign, that is readily readable and says "CAUTION - DEAF/BLIND BORDER COLLIE" and has a picture.

Whatever does the job is the right sign, though. Thanks for suggestions.

Hi Sue,

I can certainly understand your dilemma and concern for keeping Megan safe, as I have a deaf dog, too. Noble Beast Graphics makes signs with a Border Collie logo, and in addition to a huge assortment of stock signs, they make custom order signs, as well. Here is their website (which is currently under construction). Here is their online catalog, and page two is about custom orders. I hope that you can find just what you need!

Take care,

nancy

Oh, Sue, what a scare! I'm glad nothing happened to Megan. A couple of signs could help. I always drive very cautiously when I see that kind of sign, be it for a child or dog, and I think most people do. You could get the aluminum "Deaf Dog" sign and stencil a border collie silhouette on it.

What a great idea, Sue. My oldest is completely deaf and the next oldest seems to be loosing his hearing. The thing I worry about the most is that they'll get hit in our driveway because people assume they hear them and will "get out of the way." I wonder if we could get a deal if we had a group of people order custom signs? I'd purchase one . . .

Glad Megan is OK!

Kim

I did see the "CAUTION DEAF DOG" from the Signs With an Attitude website, and like it. I also really like Nancy's Noble Beasts website, with the idea of a sign that says "CAUTION DEAF DOG" with the Border Collie picture. I'm going to check on the prices. The custom (second idea) is going to be more expensive but if it's not much more, than I'd prefer it. However, the first idea is a very good one, also.

Okay, I did go to Noble Beasts and order three signs, one for each end of the property along the road, and one for the driveway area.

Their standard size (12x12) yellow sign that is pre-printed (like "DEAF DOG") is $20 (all prices rounded by me). A custom sign (like CAUTION DEAF DOG with Border Collie logo) is $30. Shipping for a $50 and over purchase is $12.50 (from CA).

Multiple custom sign discounted price is $25 but requires 12 of the same item.

They seem to have great signs, just about anything you could imagine ("PARTY COW", "STUPID CAT", etc.) and the lady I spoke to was wonderfully helpful and made excellent suggestions.

Ed wasn't too keen on this, thinking it was probably not going to be effective (and he'd die at the price of going custom) but it will give me some peace of mind. And it's my Valentine's Day present (after we decided on no presents or dinners out this year!). I don't feel good about spending the money but I do feel good about doing something to help make it safer for Megan.

Even though she is never out without us, things happen - and she is so friendly that a car pulling up can get her running to greet whoever it is.

I did see that one but the Border Collie picture is one of the show type, and I just avoid that image.

Signs With an Attitude has good stock caution signs without dog logos.

Hi Sue,

I'm glad that you liked the Noble Beast Graphics signs. They have been around for quite a while, and they can supply signs for just about any purpose. I got two of my favorite signs from them, and both of them are standard order (not custom).

The sign on my old dog's crate in the van reads: PLEASE DON'T FEED FINGERS TO MY DOG!

The sign that my husband loved the most reads: FORGET THE DOG, BEWARE THE WIFE!

Regards to all,

nancy

Archived