BC Boards

Has anyone one used D.A.P.?

Covelo Dogs

I tried it. I got the diffuser and the spray. I didn't see a difference.

I've heard that it really helps some dogs and does nothing for others. I think it's worth a try. It didn't help my noise-o-phobe, but it might help yours!

I have used it for seperation anxiety. It has helped. I use it in conjunction with Rescue Remedy and a ton of counter conditioning.

If you look into Bach Flower Remedies (like Rescue Remedy) there is one specifically for noise phobia. I haven't used it but it might be worth trying.

I think that DAP can help as an adjunct to other measures but that alone it is unlikely to address noise phobias.

I have used DAP in other situations (traveling, etc.) that don't provoke acute responses and think it is more useful in such situations. During the summer, when my stupid redneck neighbors like to blow up fireworks at all hours starting a month before July 4th and ending whenever their jumbo Costco value packs of explosives run out, I usually keep Solo on Xanax twice a day plus DAP diffusers and a DAP collar and together they seem to keep him sane.

Bottom line is it can't hurt, and there are some double-blind studies out there indicating that it does help some dogs, but if you're dealing with real noise phobias then you are probably going to need more heavy-duty stuff than DAP.

I've tried the plug in, spray and collar with no effect.

I also know of someone who used it and a couple of days later her previously non destructive dogs demolished her couch.

I went to a behavioural seminar where the manufacturers CEVA were promoting it when it first came on the market and their rep's excuse to me was that it could have lowered the dogs' inhibitions and made them so relaxed that they decided to have a game with the furniture.

That's the only really worrying example I've heard of though.

Pam

I used the plug in and had good results. We had a springer that went into a deep depression when his companion dog died and we were very concerned about him. The vet suggested it, indicating that not all animals responded to it, so we were skeptical. It definitely helped with his depression.

It's hard to find good studies testing the efficacy of these treatments (DAP, Rescue Remedy) but the results of blinded controlled trials (all in small samples) seem to indicate some positive effect of DAP in some dogs, and they accord with my observations in my sample of one (Solo) although positive effects do not seem to be universal.

Go to http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

type in "dog appeasing pheromone"

It will return six results and you can read the abstracts online.

There are even fewer studies of Rescue Remedy, but one that was performed in a sample of 100 humans (for whom the remedy is actually intended) accord with my observations that it doesn't do squat for anxiety, which is exactly what one would expect if you take the philosophy of homeopathy at face value.

A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of a Bach Flower Remedy

N. C. Armstrong and E. Ernstf1

Department of Complementary Medicine, School of Postgraduate Medicine and Health Sciences, University of Exeter, UK

Available online 12 March 2002.

Abstract

The aim of this randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial was to investigate the efficacy of ‘Five Flower Remedy’® also known as Rescue Remedy®, for examination anxiety in healthy university students. One hundred university students were recruited. They were registered at the University of Exeter, aged between 18 to 65 years, and enrolled to undertake university examinations between May to July 1998. Participants were randomized to take one to four doses of either ‘Five Flower Remedy’ or indistinguishable placebo during day 1 to 7 of the experiment. Self-reported anxiety was quantified using the 40-item Spielberger State-Trait Anxiety Inventory (STAI) as the primary outcome measure. Visual analogue scales were used as the secondary outcome measure to allow the determination of daily anxiety scores. Forty five percent of volunteers completed the study (21 subjects in the experimental and 24 in the placebo group). Reporting of anxiety, as measured by the state component of the STAI at enrolment, was not found to differ between verum and placebo and no gender differences were noted. However, self-reports of trait anxiety were found to be lower in men compared to women at enrolment. Eight days before examination, men reported significantly lower levels of state anxiety but no significant differences were subsequently identified the evening before the examination. No significant differences were identified between or within groups for mean values of the daily VAS scores or indeed the linear contrast variable constructed to determine any trends associated with the weekly VAS reports. It is concluded that ‘Five Flower Remedy’ had no specific effects in treating anxiety under these trial conditions.

Melanie,

Thank you for the feedback. The dogs in question have been on xanax for thier noise phobia. The 13 year old has been getting progressively worse. Now it is jets flying overhead, motorcycles and basically anything that makes a load noise. I may try a collar on her it can not hurt. I would rather not have her on xanax everyday. If it works at all I will also try one on my other bitch.

By the way how is Jett doing? I picked up Harp last week from Karen.

Thanks to all that answered! It is nice to be able to get responses on questions like these.

Suki

Archived