BC Boards

Bea chases cars!!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A freind of mine lost his black lab a few months ago as it chased after a car it was hit by another coming in the opposite direction.....

I personally have allways done the come to Jesus talk with all my dogs when a dangerous situation arises or even when a dog shows a complete disregard to what I'm telling him.

Sam is a very confident dog and thinks he is boss with my wife and children, however he knows that when I say no I mean no due to past experiences.

My little pet talk ranges from a sharp low growl like tone (for example a 'get out' when he is off the lead and attempts to walk into some one elses garden) to a grab of the snout a firm stair in the eyes and a loud deep growl whilst talking to him for more extreme situations.

I have allways found this method to work for me and it's rarely required a second time because as soon as you anticipate the event the second time and say 'no' in my low growl he realises it's not a good move and soon refrains from attempting his action anymore in the future.

This technique certainly hasn't done our relationship any harm, they are like children ands

need to have boundaries and will respect you for it and enjoy their life more.

Imagine a football game with no rules, people would soon get fed up with the injuries and lack of rules, it's what a game is all about - having rules...

Ps just used this technique to good effect whilst typing this, Sam is in another room behind a closed door and I could hear him chewing something, I just used my voice and he soon stopped.

Everyone is entitled to their own methods, but I want my dogs to listen to everyone in the family and Colt does. I have done 90% of the training and then I taught the family what to look for and how to ask so we were all on the same page. My son who was not the most dog savvy kid has become a pretty good handler. So no I don't use harsh corrections. I shouldn't have to if my dog respects me. My son actually remarked today when he came on our walk that I talk to Colt the same way I talk to them. I simply say get out of that or leave it in a neutral soft voice. Colt responds instantly.

Bea will get there, but she is going to take a little more time about it I think. Car chasing is also a much more serious escapade and that is why I was willing to try the big correction.

OK - if you take this purely as acase of predatory chase drive, I would urge you to read this link -

http://www.dog-secrets.co.uk/how-do-i-stop-my-dog-chasing

And before anyone thinks that this will be more drivel from yet another tree hugger who has never dealt with anything more challenging than Grandma's toothless pet poodle, this is the guy who wrote it -

David Ryan was a police dog handler and Home Office accredited instructor for twenty-six years until 2007, helping to lead the revolution in professional dog training out of the “push, pull and shout” methods used since the Great War.

During that time he trained dogs from seven stone German Shepherds to one-stone-wringing-wet Cocker Spaniels, including general-purpose police dogs (the ones with the teeth), drugs, weapons and cash detection, explosives search and firearms support dogs.

(Just a snippet from his bio.)

Ah, but no BCs specifically mentioned so what he says is worthless, you might think - but his practice is situated in the heart of BC country where the breed originated and where sheep chasing is endemic and where the world and his wife own a BC or three.

Pam

This article is great!! I already understand that giving a dog as many opportunities for prey play (as I mentioned up thread) will help satisfy that drive so last week I changed up the way Bea and I and Colt play with the ball. Because Colt is older he will always get the ball so Bea doesn't go for it. She will crouch and wait for Colt to get close, then jack it from him, bring it to me and drop it. This was fine with Colt as all he wants is for me to throw that ball again. He would often get to her, drop it and let her bring it in. For the past week I have snapped the long line on Bea so that I can hold her back on a wait while throwing for Colt, then I throw another ball for her not as far. She is now chasing her own ball and returning it.

It's only been a week we've been doing this and I will first get her to the point I don't have to stand on that line before moving on to the next step suggested in the video.

Well, I guess there is hope that between this, "look at that" and the verbal corrections when necessary the desire to chase cars will extinguish. It was the ball reward play that stopped Colt from joggers and bikes. He will down now without a ball in sight for both of them. Many times without me suggesting it.

Thx for the article mum24.

"And before anyone thinks that this will be more drivel from yet another tree hugger who has never dealt with anything more challenging than Grandma's toothless pet poodle, this is the guy who wrote it -"

mum24dog

Bwahahahahahahahahaha! Hee hee heeeeee hee hee. Oh that's the funniest thing I've heard in weeks. Oh, I have to go blow my nose now!

"And before anyone thinks that this will be more drivel from yet another tree hugger who has never dealt with anything more challenging than Grandma's toothless pet poodle, this is the guy who wrote it -"

mum24dog

Bwahahahahahahahahaha! Hee hee heeeeee hee hee. Oh that's the funniest thing I've heard in weeks. Oh, I have to go blow my nose now!

I meant to highlight that as well and forgot!! Love it.