BC Boards

what do you use for treats?

I too am really enjoying this thread. The level of debate is excellent.

Like Jedismom I just wanted to say that for the past couple of days I took the treats out of training with Bea. Not because of anything here but because I had a hunch she was doing things for the treats even though I was careful not to bribe. I had never felt this with Colt, though I still had phased treats out by the time he was 6 mos or so, bringing them back for a short time to counter condition stranger danger.

Anyway Bea is responding just as well, if not better, as she is focussed on me and the task not the treat. This little dog is a university!!

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have used all kinds of training methods on my dogs. I'm embarrassed to admit that sometimes I forget about just asking for a behavior. I'm very glad that Mr. McCaig brought that up. I tried it the other day with Jedi on loose leash walking training. I remember thinking as I was doing it, that it really can't be that simple. When he pulled, I stopped walking. When he looked up at me, I gave him a gesture that meant come closer. He did. I've never used that gesture before. :rolleyes: I said, Good Boy..Close. We resumed our walk. He pulled again. I did the same thing. He did not pull for the rest of our walk!!!!!! All I had to do was ask. I must say though, that I've had Jedi for about 2 yrs. now and have built a solid relationship with him. I don't think it necessarily would have worked otherwise.

I had the same sort of experience with an (ex-)foster. He came from a less than rosy background (basically from a BYB and presumed AKC registered) and lived most of his life in a small back yard with little interaction. For all that, within a few months, he was learning by "osmosis". I would give commands and he would read my body language to see if he did the right thing. Don't under-estimate these dogs. They are scary smart; just let them use their brains.

Disclaimer: I do use treats sometimes and I own a clicker, even if I have never managed to use it correctly.