BC Boards

Teeth Cleaning Tests

BC Millie

I know nothing about dog teeth cleaning and the only dental work we've ever had done on a dog was the removal of two cracked teeth (this was a cattle-working dog). I don't know your dog's situation or health/dental issues but have you considered a dietary alternative to mechanical cleaning? My dogs regularly get raw beef bones to chew (rib, marrow, knuckle, steak).

When I had 7-year-old Megan to have an injury checked, the vet remarked on the cleanliness and brightness of her teeth, repeating over and over that she could not believe Megan was 7. Different types of raw bones can help do the same job - raw poultry bones (feeding chicken, turkey, duck, or goose parts raw with bone in), lamb bones, and so on. You can feed some of these raw and frozen for even more "chew".

I have heard folks remark that dogs with tartar build-up that were started on bones regularly, wound up with teeth that became quite clean and a healthy, pleasant-smelling mouth. I don't know if you would like to try feeding raw bones/boney raw meats option. My dogs love it and have clean mouth benefits from it.

Best wishes with your choices!