BC Boards

Raw, pastured pork

NorthfieldNick

My friend who raises pastured hogs needs a new boar, and this means her current boar is going to be slaughtered. Adult boars are inedibly smelly and disgusting, so Boarus will probably end up in a hole in the ground.

Depending on the season, we could have Boarus butcherd out for dog food pretty cheaply. This is a 1.000 Lb pig- there's a LOT of meat there. The question is, how safe is raw, pastured pork? Is trichinosis a worry? Rats and coons (and walruses, but no danger of those) carry trichinosis, and while I doubt Boarus has ever eaten a coon, he very well could have rooted up a rat nest in the woods & eaten them.

Commercial pork is extremely unlikely to carry trichinosis as confined hogs are fed a controlled diet. My friend's farm is very clean, no rodents in the barn, etc, but these pigs (especially the boar) roam around in the woods, pastures, etc, and pigs will eat just about anything.

Cooking isn't really an option. It defeats the purpose of feeding raw, and cooking pork from an uncastrated hog smells AWFUL!

I feed commercial raw pork necks that have been frozen for a minimum of thirty days. I'm looking forward to hearing replies about pasture-raised, noncommercial pork. Sorry I'm not much help...

I would not feed pork from *any* source without freezing hard for 30 days.

Yes, trichinosis is a worry in both pastured and feedlot (concrete raised) pork. You can site %s and odds, but I know dogs who have had it.

I totally forgot about the freezing kills trichinosis thing. I'm pretty sure I remember it being a matter of the meat reaching a certain temperature, which was dependent on the thickness of the cuts. I have a substantial freezer for meat storage. I'll have to keep an eye on the thermometer to see how cold it gets. And maybe temp some newly frozen meat, too.

I don't feed raw pork, pretty much because any pork I have I'm eating! I hate pigs, but I LOVE pork!

I totally forgot about the freezing kills trichinosis thing. I'm pretty sure I remember it being a matter of the meat reaching a certain temperature, which was dependent on the thickness of the cuts. I have a substantial freezer for meat storage. I'll have to keep an eye on the thermometer to see how cold it gets. And maybe temp some newly frozen meat, too.

I don't feed raw pork, pretty much because any pork I have I'm eating! I hate pigs, but I LOVE pork!

We've fed our pastured hogs to the dogs, but always in a deep freeze for 30 days; I never know what our pigs have gotten into...

cynthia