BC Boards

Free to good home. Non-working Border Collie.

Free to good home. Non-working Border Collie. I was given a non-reg. female when she was about 8 months old. I have had her for a few months now and she shows no interest in working at all. She is very shy and sweet female. I am looking for a good home for her. She is Red/White, medium coat. Go to my website for details and to contact me. www.harlowsheepco.com or www.harlowshillswestcoast.com

Thank you,

Eric

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't sound like it. Here's what it says on Eric's For Sale page:

Free dog: "I have had her for a while now and she shows no interest in working at all."

Mother of non-reg pups (Rosie): "She is working full-time on our ranch."

Doesn't sound like it. Here's what it says on Eric's For Sale page:

Free dog: "I have had her for a while now and she shows no interest in working at all."

Mother of non-reg pups (Rosie): "She is working full-time on our ranch."

Did he just mess up on the photo page then? That pregnant/nursing red female seems to be named Rosa (according to the photo url).

Ah, perhaps the entry at 12-09-09 on his blog clarifies things. Or not.

Susan

I think there are two dogs with pups, one name ROSE, and one named ROSIE

If you read closer, the non-registered pups says the moms name is ROSE (on the photos page), then there is another page (for sale page) that says a second litter is available from ROSIE who is a working border collie on that ranch....

Could just be a typo though??

Ok, I am not jumping through a flaming hoop. Simple answer. Am now guessing she got bred at your place, and you aren't real keen to say. If you have had her a few months, and she is only 8months old, and baggy, ummm let's see

Gee I guess I answered my own question there didn't I.

Good luck finding her a home.

edited after original post for being far to cranky.

BTW, your son is lovely. And love the picture of "what the coyotes see" beautiful.

I fell down the proverbial rabbit hole on this one. While looking to find pictures of the free dog I got completely lost in clicking around thesheepguy's whole site. The website about their sheep operation was absolutely fascinating. This is tough unrelenting work for dogs and people. One of the nicest pictures was of the sheepguy and two of his Border Collies.

With some amusement, I can identify with the free dog as "she shows no interest in working at all". But sadly the economy and my fantasy life are traveling in a parallel universe right now.

I am sure this dog will find a nice home.

Can I just say one more thing....I realized my last night's post sounded a little judgemental. I felt a little bad for that. So this a.m. I looked a little further into your site and marveled at the operation you have going on. That level of sheep production and lifestyle is something I am totally clueless to. HOWEVER, I noticed some interesting things. I know your dogs are important to you, and so is money. (as with all of us) But you can't fudge your dogs to suit the situation. You have to call a spade a spade. Proper pups with proper moms. Litter mates are all the same btw. I am red headed, my sister is blond. It doesn't make me pure Irish and her Irish/Polish. We are what we are, not what someone wants us to be. Get what I am driving at there?

Also stop talking about your herders as if you are in the slave trade. You couldn't do what you do without them. Be thankful.

Again, interesting, if I ever find myself in your neck of the woods I am coming to lamb school!

But you can't fudge your dogs to suit the situation. You have to call a spade a spade. Proper pups with proper moms. Litter mates are all the same btw. I am red headed, my sister is blond. It doesn't make me pure Irish and her Irish/Polish. We are what we are, not what someone wants us to be. Get what I am driving at there?

Huh?? :rolleyes:

Also stop talking about your herders as if you are in the slave trade. You couldn't do what you do without them. Be thankful.

double huh?? :D

I certainly do not have anything against Eric. I asked for some info about a dog he was placing, and instead I am direct to an area that does everything but answer the simple question. Why is it a hard question? As I look further, I notice listings of puppies, both reg. and non reg. Were are "free dog's" puppies? Then to look further and see where littermates are advertised (don't remember if for sale, or just info) and one is listed purebred, while the other is listed as a cross. If they are littermates, they are both crosses.

Read the link where you are able to get to know his herders. It just doesn't sound very nice the way he puts it.

As I said, I have nothing against him. I know he must have hard working dogs, that is why I was inquiring about the one he was rehoming. Maybe she just doesn't like to work in that situation and could be useful to someone else on a smaller scale. If I had anything against him I would not say I would like to come meet him and check the operation out.

EK, not sure what or where you are reading this. As you can see he has so much free time to post here...he's posted a whopping 27 posts in the past 2 plus years...if you have question why not contact him directly? His original post said

Go to my website for details and to contact me. www.harlowsheepco.com or www.harlowshillswestcoast.com
I think you are confused about many aspects....email him, I am sure he would enjoy chatting with you about his dogs.

EK, not sure what or where you are reading this. As you can see he has so much free time to post here...he's posted a whopping 27 posts in the past 2 plus years...if you have question why not contact him directly? His original post said I think you are confused about many aspects....email him, I am sure he would enjoy chatting with you about his dogs.

well, I think ErinKate (and others) were initially confused why he didn't answer a straightforward question. If he barely has time to post here, I hardly think he'd respond any more thoroughly to a private email.

Rosie/Rosa/Rose's story is like a 19th century melodrama, or maybe a Lifetime movie. Traded for a truck as a young pup, impregnated by the handsome stud on the farm, offspring sold at discount... fortunately we know the story will end happily, a nice family will be delighted to have an easy-going attractive dog for free.

Susan

ErinKate if you want a non-working free Border Collie there are tons of them in your home state. Save you several thousand miles of transportation at the least....and you won't even have to bother to call or email the person with them. You can drive over there!

I just looked at his entire site and I do NOT see what the confusion is!

Under his photos page, there are 4 pictures showing the dog in question: a red/white medium-coated female border collie. I do not see a name attached to this dog.

Elsewhere, he advertises (and shows photos of) his BC pups, and several other things.

His description of the job opening for herders sounds respectful and advantageous for those interested.

His descriptions of his own sheepdogs describes someone who has a solid & good relationship with his dogs.

I see no issues, and I think the female red/white would be a sweetheart for a pet home or, maybe, for a small hobby farm.

I see your point Karen, but if he can come on and post the link a second time, I don't know why he could just jot down an answer. The link wasn't any help. If he had just said her name is Rose/Rosie/Rosa, click the link, I would have done a bit better. Instead I can't figure out who's who. Still not too sure. If you are trying to rehome a dog, it is best not to ask potential adopters to do all the work. You are telling ME to stop what I am doing and email HIM about the dog. Maybe after he saw I was inquiring he could have gone out of his way to drop ME an email, after all I am looking to take the dog off of his hands and do him a favor.

I see your point Karen, but if he can come on and post the link a second time, I don't know why he could just jot down an answer. The link wasn't any help. If he had just said her name is Rose/Rosie/Rosa, click the link, I would have done a bit better. Instead I can't figure out who's who. Still not too sure. If you are trying to rehome a dog, it is best not to ask potential adopters to do all the work. You are telling ME to stop what I am doing and email HIM about the dog. Maybe after he saw I was inquiring he could have gone out of his way to drop ME an email, after all I am looking to take the dog off of his hands and do him a favor.

You could have done a bit better? Well, then, why don't you go get a ranch and show us.

When I read responses like yours, I remember why a lot of people stop doing rescue work. It's not the dogs at all.

You could have done a bit better? Well, then, why don't you go get a ranch and show us.

When I read responses like yours, I remember why a lot of people stop doing rescue work. It's not the dogs at all.

Do a bit better at what? Why would I get a ranch and what would I show you? If you would stop doing rescue over someone asking if the dog has had a litter you shouldn't be in rescue!

FWIW I can see where you're coming from but personally I wouldn't bother about it unless you are seriously interested in the dog.

The dog in the pictures does look suspiciously like she has had a litter and it does make me wonder why it wasn't mentioned. Maybe she hasn't and it's a misunderstanding.

I have to say that I've adopted dogs that first came to my notice on line and I've always conducted Q & A by email rather than in public. I agree that your best bet is to contact the OP direct.

BTW I understand what you mean about the "slave trade" with the unfortunate reference to transferring a herder to another ranch, but it isn't relevant to the matter in hand and I wouldn't attempt to guess the writer's personal attitude just from the written word.

Pam

EK, if you are so interested in the dog then email him as his post said. If you are simply nosy then I completely understand why you haven't gotten an answer. Email goes directly to your PC, one has to come to these boards, takes longer and like he said "contact me". I don't see why he owes anyone an answer on the public forum.

EK

Do you really want this dog or are you just stirring the pot, which I agree is sometimes a good thing but why now, why with this guy? He said he had a non working dog he wanted to place, end of story, why are you picking on him? It's up to the potential adopter to find out the questions you are asking and I would think privately would be the way to go.

Like I asked...do you really want this dog?