BC Boards

Same song, 400th verse....leash training

I know this subject has been done ad nauseum, but I really need some help. My pups and I are beginning a two-month long RV trip in September. To this minute, I have been unable to train them to a leash.

Because of the layout of our neighborhood, I am unable to allow them out to play and exercise unleashed because cars whiz by at all hours, and the dogs LOVE the road. I would love to take them on my walks, but they both refuse to do anything except pull me off my feet when I put a leash on them. If I take them on walks unleashed, they won't recall and they chase the cars, which scares me to death.

My problem comes with the upcoming trip when I will have to leash them at rest areas and at camp grounds.

I've worked with each separately in hopes that they would not be distracted by the other. Doesn't help.

I am at my wit's end. Any help or criticism is more than welcome.

You could try getting a Halti for each of them. Also, I've heard some good things about prong collars....as harsh as they appear, they're much better than choke chains.

And if you go with the prong collars, getting a tandem lead will help you with the whole getting tangled leashes bit.

Other than that, find something that motivates them to listen to you (really desirable treats, for instance, or their kibble is even better.) Take them on a walk. Take one step onto the path, stop...and DO NOT MOVE until the dog sits and looks at you. (this should be done one at a time.) When he does, praise, give treat, take another step, repeat. Gradually work your way up. It takes time, and patience, but it works.

I've trained dogs on leashes all my life and I have never had the trouble that I have had with Polly. I'm still not sure I won't need shoulder surgery from her nasty pulling! After trying all the traditional methods, (for many weeks), I have two words for you: Gentle Leader!! It changed our lives--I sleep with it under my pillow!! lol It costs about 20 bucks with an instructional cd. She actually likes it, and runs over and sits pretty to wait to get it on. I've not used the Halti, but if it is like the Gentle Leader, I'm sure you could have success with that as well. Good Luck! Charlene

I had Ouzo on a prong collar from 5 to 7 months, when he was pulling like crazy. It helped, and at the end, it was more of a psychological thing. After he got the idea what this collar does, I rarely used the prongs in, unless he was unusualy restless. About two months ago the metal prong collar broke (!) while I was walking him, and that was the moment I decided we don't need it anymore. He still pulls, especially when we just get out the house, but he's so much better now.

How old are they? From your previous post about them being 43 lb, they have to be over 7 months.

I would agree... use something like a Gentle Leader, Halti, or prong collar. I would not have been able to walk Zeeke without a prong collar. It's probably not necessary anymore (he doesn't pull), but it's on for safety reasons.

Oh and I'll add - you should probably look into obedience lessons. Part of our beginner's class was learning how to walk on leash without pulling - with just a flat collar. I saw many dogs make huge improvements in the few weeks we were practicing. having a trainer identify what you are doing wrong and how to react to the pulling can make all the difference.

With both the Halti and the Gentle Leader, please be sure you have some sort of backup (such as a buckle collar). Even when fitted properly, these collars can be tough to keep on some dogs, and on any collar with plastic parts, the "hardware" can fail --- I've seen it happen :rolleyes: . I'd prolly go with the prong, but there, too, have backup and be sure it's fitted properly.

Here's Suzanne Clothier's article [you may have to scroll down] on fitting and using a prong: Training with the Prong Collar. (See her link to "The Problem with Head Halters.")

And here's a Leerburg link. All the usual self-promotion, but good photos!

I have trained all of mine with a prong. Does not take long for them to figure it out. Now, I don't even know where it is.

I would just like to say, I viewed the link above and HIGHLY disagree with the placement of the prong. HIGHLY!!!! That is a very vulnarable area on a dog's neck. They have been shown to cause nerve damage up so high. Not to mention doing that on your little 9month old puppy could be very tramatic. I agree with a prong 100%, but please don't snug it up behind the ears like that. Just for a second push your finger into the soft spot right behind your earlobe. It doesn't feel too great. I always put my collars half way up. Not down as low as it could go, they can do a lot of pulling through that, but not so high I could catch an ear in it.

Be smart about it, and be careful with your puppies.

Prong collar worked for my Lucy. We didn't do so well with the Halti, but the prong collar had the desired result, to the point that all I had to do was show it to her, didn't even have to put it on her. Ethel didn't need it, she wants to please so much that all I had to do was indicate to her the desired behavior.

They have been shown to cause nerve damage up so high
Not meaning to start an argument --- I know Suzanne Clothier likes a prong to be placed a bit lower on a dog's neck --- but is there any science to back up the reports of nerve damage? That would take some terribly harsh corrections, I think. (A Google search turned up zip, and I even looked in PubMed, a.k.a. Geek Central :rolleyes: Which doesn't mean the science isn't out there, just that I couldn't find it.)

I've always read that prongs should be place high and snug: in this book, f'rinstance (a neat book, IMHO, and not just for Schutzhund people) the authors write,

"The most effective and humane collar for the great majority of working dogs is the prong collar... This fits snugly, high on the dog's neck, with both rings behind the dog's right ear. Attach the leash to both rings of this collar, not just one. There is no choking with this collar."
If the collar is fitted properly, it seems to me that there shouldn't be any chance of an ear getting caught. Disclaimer: I'm no expert on collars. My dogs never wear 'em at home or at the farm, and only wear buckle collars with their Boomerang IDs when we travel. I've used prong collars a couple times with my pit bulls, but prefer the buckle collars or harnesses.