BC Boards

vomiting

nancy

For the last couple of weeks, Fergie has been vomiting most mornings. Nothing much, so I'm not sure that "vomiting" is the correct term. It's more like what we called "cheesing" when the kids were nursing.

It's a bit of viscous liquid, usually milky, with maybe a blade of grass or two or a pine needle. Sometimes it's bright yellow. And not much - about the size of the circle you can make with the fingers of both hands.

It seems to be only in the morning. Either before we wake up (like at 5 AM) or on our before-breakfast walk (like 7:30 AM). She has her evening meal - 3/4 to 1 cup kibble - at 5:30 in the evening. But there's no sign of kibble in the vomit.

Otherwise she is fine. She just turned 14 but is in great shape.

Any ideas?

Yeah, sounds like just an empty tummy. We used to have problems with Jack doing that, so we started splitting his dinner, giving him half around dinner time, and the other half later in the night, before bedtime. That solved the problem. Fergie just might need a little more food or a couple of cookies before bed.

(I think cookies before bed should be the solution to all our problems. :rolleyes: )

My dog did that a couple years ago (and had never had a problem vomiting before in her life) and she would only do it early in the am when her stomach was empty. I thought it was odd since I'd been feeding her the same way her whole life so we looked down her stomach with the endoscope and she had this gross big clump of grass etc that was just sitting in her stomach. It looked like a hairball a cat would get only made of grass. Best thing the vet could guess was that when her stomach got right empty, it would irritate it, and for some reason it wasn't passing through. I gave her a bunch of the stuff you use for cats with hairballs (like 1/4 of the tube) and then kept repeating it for a couple days and the problem went away. I'm thinking that lubricating it with the hairball stuff may have helped it pass through and stop irritating her stomach.

My oldest dog will vomit bile in the mornings if its been too long since she's been fed. She's done it since we've owned her. We changed her feeding schedule so she eats 3 times a day (gets a bit right before bed now too). It has stopped the vomiting issue for the most part but she still does it randomly.

My vet recommended a quarter of a pepcid for Sam. She did so well I stopped for a while, just got out of the habit, and then she started vomiting again, only after she'd eaten her breakfast and had a frozen kong. Started giving her un frozen kongs and returned to the pepcid every day, and it's all better now.

If there aren't any other problems, I'd go with the pepcid. And Paula, cookies before bed for everyone is simply a wonderful idea! I hope mine don't have to be herring and salmon cookies, though.

Ruth

Nancy,

My fist thought is also an empty stomach but her advanced age I am more concerned about the vomiting than I would be if she were young. Vomiting is often and early symptom of kidney or liver issues. If she were my girl I would have a blood panel done or at least check kidney and liver function. If there is something going on if caught early it is much easier to manage.

Hope all is well

Denice, RVT

Wow, how counter-intuitive. We were ready to cut back on her dinner.

She got lots of cookies for Christmas. We'll give her one tonight, when we have our "champagne", and see how it works.

By Monday, we'll know if we should call the vet.

Thanks so much!

Touch wood - with crossed fingers, toes, and eyes. But we gave her a doggie biscuit when we went to bed last night. Hey, we even made it to midnight - our time, not England or Lithuania. And no vomit this morning. We'll continue this and see if it works.

Thank you all so much!