BC Boards

I thought my dogs were well socialized

My 5 and 6 year old Niece and Nephew are sleeping over. I always think that my dogs are so well socialized. I'm wrong. Sugar took one look at my tiny 5 year old dog loving Nephew and had a mini heart attack. She cowered on the floor and refused to come within 3 feet of him even if all the other dogs were willing to come inside and be super happy cookie eating campers. I guess I have some work to do with Sugar.

If it makes you feel any better, 5yr olds make me cower on the floor also :rolleyes: (I have a 2yr old and 6yr old twins lol).

Maya is funny like that also, she generally loves most kid, but our neighbor girl freaks her out for some reason (she is really loud lol). So I just give Maya space and give the girl cookies and if Maya wants to go see her she gets a cookie, if she doesn't want to go near her she doesn't have to. I would have your nephew ignore her and try to not make eye contact with her. Good Luck.

From my experience- if you can convince your niece and nephew to ignore the dog ( and maybe fawn over the dog that wants attention) you will be surprised what the feeling of "being left out" brings.

Excellent point. My Lhasa who is stand-offish with most strangers and actively dislikes children, becomes much more outgoing even with kids when he sees happy go lucky Quinn hogging the attention. And I also agree that ignoring the dog can do wonders to calm his worries or prejudices. That works with the Lhasa and the shy Sheltie.

Oh my! Jin generally ignores kids at the park when playing on the slides even when they come up to pet him. OTOH my granddaughter is 5 and she and Jin adore each other. It's so cute to see her to give him a down stay then lay down on top of him.

Grady is super socialized but add any child under 5 in the mix and he won't come out of his crate. I think it might have to do with their little size. Even quiet kids scare him :rolleyes:

Lucia on the other hand, spent 3 days letting my friend's 2 1/2 year old dress her up :D Even I thought that was a bit impressive because I was having a hard time keeping the kid entertained :D

Grady is super socialized but add any child under 5 in the mix and he won't come out of his crate. I think it might have to do with their little size. Even quiet kids scare him :rolleyes:

Lucia on the other hand, spent 3 days letting my friend's 2 1/2 year old dress her up :D Even I thought that was a bit impressive because I was having a hard time keeping the kid entertained :D

I think I was surprised as this is the dog I hand raised and thought she was bomb proof. Dally and Maddie were more than happy to keep them entertained and cleaned up after. Genie was more than happy to take treats. She prefers kids to adults any day. esp men. I think I tend to forget that even though she looks like a lumbering giant. She does have feelings.

Brodie has the same reaction to youngsters that are his height - three to four year olds and younger. We passed by little Jenna on the way through the kitchen the other day and he immediately began growling (he's a bit reactive). I thought about it quite a bit and I honestly think he's startled by being eye to eye with some creature with which he's not really familar.... Robin, of course, bounded by without a care or backward glance.

They're the perfect dogs for the argument about which is smarter, the one who sees you and keeps going on his appointed rounds or the one that sees you and recognizes a stranger and stops to think about it.

At any rate, I too am concerned about Brodie's reaction and the little ones are just too young to experiment on, so he's going to stay away from anybody that's not bigger than him as he generally loves people. He went right outside and played with a little boy who is five or six...can't remember which -- but definitely taller and willing to throw a ball.