BC Boards

itching + possible allergy??

Salmon oil worked wonders for my itchy girl. Dogs get dry skin just like we do in the cold, dry air of winter.

I wouldn't go through an elimation diet yet. It very well could improve on the better food. If it doesn't, you could also try a "simpler" food, like California Natural, also made by Innova.

Originally posted by di59louie:

Hey Beth G,

How did you know your dog was allergic corn and wheat - what were the symptoms and did you trial an elimination diet??

Thanks

Diana

Yes and Oh god yes it was awful.

In our female, Pepper, whenever she was put on a diet with corn or wheat, the diarrehea started up again and the heaving(she has colitis) then the itching and the rash,and the ripping out of fur.

In both pups, their paws got red and our female Pepper went totally bald. The male, Popcorn went just a little bald. We tried them on other dog foods, as well as the regular Nutro 3 times. Never agreed with them. The only difference was that those foods had corn and wheat. (At that point I was just learning that those ingredients were bad for dogs and could cause allergies and so at vet's urging did trial feeds with them- with disasterous effects!!)

Come to find out that our male pup, popcorn's father also has a bad allergy to wheat and a small one to corn. He was allergy tested.

Both my pups had a whole vet checkup. Saw 3 different vets. Both diagnosed with allergies.

When we put them back on the Nutro all Natural Lamb and Rice, (with no weaning off of, or mixing with the old food) the diarrehea stopped overnight!! And it had been so bad!

Both pups,(epsecially Pepper) have done fine ever since.

This is the only food that Pepper has ever gained weight on. She was so sick. And underweight. It was horrible. At one point we thought we were going to lose her. But man her fur is so plush now, and and her skin glows!

What a difference!!

Dublin is allergic to grains, which is why I ended up switching to raw.

I was feeding him Canidae, which is a good food. I wasn't careful of what treats I was giving him, though. They were pretty crappy and had corn and other grains.

Now that his main food is grain-free, I can give him treats that have some grains in them (though I give better quality treats now, as well) and he doesn't have much, if any reaction.

If he has been given a bunch of grains in his diet (like the time I was traveling and had to feed kibble for a few days) then even a treat with some grains will set him off.

My pups itch with the cold dry weather. It seems like nothing I do to the feed makes any difference. It comes in seasons. Winter and early fall. I figure dry winter and maybe allgeries to some kind of weed that is prevelent in the fall. Usually goes away without much hairloss or other issues when the season changes.

Good luck

Kristen

Yeah treats without all that crap are hard to find. Wheat I notice is a BIG filler in dog treats...that and corn. :rolleyes:

The only treats my two can handle are rawhide. And bones. Otherwise their feet get red and they lick them raw.

Not to take from the OP but I have a question similar to this.

My parents dogs and 6ish obbesse dog who is allergic to humans is losing all her hair. they can't afford to take her to the vet anymore, each time is about 400 dollars. and they have so many bills from dads cancer and vet related stuff already.

I am wondering if maybe her losing weight might help with her allergies? they feed them crap food and I keep trying to get them to switch. (currently on Beneful) I want them to switch to something like Nutro Lamb and Rice for the dogs... but I need a better argument then mine.

why should they go off what I say? they've had dogs all their lives and I am just a "child"

ETA: I switched Petey over to Nurto Lamb and Rice because he has been itching something awful, I thought it was flees, so I advantaged and gave him a flee bath. still itching. so I switched his food. but Does the Juices from a salmon do the same thing as salmon oil?

If an allergy shouldn't it kick in soon after Louie eats? Ouzo was very itchy for the first week. We asked the vet and she said that as puppies they do it a lot and it's normal.

Diana, don't forget that before getting them Louie and Ouzo were fed purina puppy chow which probably contains corn, wheat and/or other fillers...Wouldn't an allergy show even when the pups were younger?

I posted about this same problem with my pup awhile back. He too was eating Iams and I switched him to Canidae and his allergy went away. It was real bad. He was scratching A LOT and his skin became inflamed and was pretty red. It was hard for me to sleep sometimes because he'd be in his crate scratching and whining while scratching because it itched so bad. The Canidae is great. His skin and coat are perfect now. And he doesn't itch.

Shelb's mum, how did they come to the conclusion that their dog is alergic to humans? Obessity and losing hair could be the sign af a thyroid problem.

Check out Dog aware (thank you, thank you to whoever posted it on the other thread!!) You should be able to find something there to help convince your parents. I would also point out what worked with your dog. Tell them it can't hurt to try another brand, and will probably help. If nothing else maybe you can pick up a bag of something like Diamond Naturals L&R (the ingredients are a whole lot better than Beneful, and I think it might be cheaper, too), and give it to them to try.

As far as the dog on Beneful goes, I agree that the symptoms described might be thyroid related. However, the first thing I would do is take the dog off Beneful, ASAP. The description also matches what I've seen of multiple dogs on Beneful---sparse, lousy looking and feeling coat with nasty feeling skin. Try the diet change first, before you splurge on thyroid testing.

Maralynn,

They had an allergy test done on her, now she gets shots once a week, but I will mention the thyroid problem to them and see what they think. I will email the lik to my mom!

and I think that I will buy them a couple bags of food to try. the vet put Hannah on a lamb and rice diet but she wouldn't eat it... must try something else...

Remember to that it can take up to 9 weeks for the old food to completey be out of their system. A vet told me this.

The same vet also told me that after the food switch, the old toxins may come out in the form of diarrehea even if you were careful to do a slow switchover to the new food, and to not be alarmed by this as it doesnt mean that the new food is a bad one.