BC Boards

do dogs know what ice is?

We have had a few nights in the low 20's, the water bucket outside has had about 3/4 inch of ice on top. Usually when i let Pearl out in the morning(usually before sunup) I go  out and break the ice in the bucket. This morning I didnt feel like going out until i got my coffee. While waiting for the water to boil I glanced out the window and Pearl was trying to drink from the frozen bucket. After a few licks she took her paw and batted at the ice until it broke, then had her drink.

We dont get many nights this cold, so Pearl  has  not had alot of experience with ice, I am wondering if she knew to break the ice to get a drink  or maybe she watched me break the ice for her or maybe she was just frustrated and batted at the ice the same way she would poke me to get my attention?

Does anybody have a dog that does this?

after 11 years i still am amazed at some of the  things Pearl learns and does.

We have had a few nights in the low 20's, the water bucket outside has had about 3/4 inch of ice on top. Usually when i let Pearl out in the morning(usually before sunup) I go  out and break the ice in the bucket. This morning I didnt feel like going out until i got my coffee. While waiting for the water to boil I glanced out the window and Pearl was trying to drink from the frozen bucket. After a few licks she took her paw and batted at the ice until it broke, then had her drink.

We dont get many nights this cold, so Pearl  has  not had alot of experience with ice, I am wondering if she knew to break the ice to get a drink  or maybe she watched me break the ice for her or maybe she was just frustrated and batted at the ice the same way she would poke me to get my attention?

Does anybody have a dog that does this?

after 11 years i still am amazed at some of the  things Pearl learns and does.

I'm sure she could tell that there was drinkable water underneath the ice and just had to figure out a way to access it. I'm ashamed to admit that there have been one or two times when I have forgotten to check Daisy's waterbowl before I go to pet, only to be later woken up by the sound of her trying to lift the lid on the toilet.

I bet she was smart enough to know how to get the water. Maybe from watching you or just her knowing how to get to it. They sure can be smart though. Mine amaze me everyday.