BC Boards

Tennis Balls

My dogs have played fetch in big groups, small groups, pairs and individually. Any one of those can be dangerous and cause injury, not one is safer than the other. In groups of BCs, most tend to watch out for one another, if they're used to running as a "pack." We used to play group fetch (10-15 dogs) with multiple balls after flyball every week and I can't recall any issues. There were several "roles".. the stalkers, the chasers, the outlyers, the "herders" and the main go-get-the-ball types. I have BCs who get so focused they run into things, but strangely enough they're aware of other dogs when playing group fetch. You'll often see some "give up" and let the other dog get it, to do that they'd have to be aware of the others. Now what I won't do is let them play fetch in a group with different breeds unless I already know the dogs, especially Aussies - no offense, but the majority of Aussies I've seen playing like to body-slam other dogs.

I've had dogs get injured just playing fetch by themselves. Had to pull Wick after one run at Regionals 2 years ago because she hurt her toe landing from a frisbee catch. I've also had dogs injure themselves while just running in the backyard, or in the woods while not playing fetch. Had a dog get injured jumping down from the bed. Unless we keep our dogs in bubbles, they're going to get hurt occasionally. It's the type of dog we have - the one that loves to run, and run fast. Injuries are going to happen regardless of how you exercise your dog. No one can tell you how or how not to exercise your dog, so do what works for you and what your dog likes.

Bottom line, yes fetch can be dangerous. In groups or individually. But so is any form of running or jumping.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dogs have played fetch in big groups, small groups, pairs and individually. Any one of those can be dangerous and cause injury, not one is safer than the other. In groups of BCs, most tend to watch out for one another, if they're used to running as a "pack." We used to play group fetch (10-15 dogs) with multiple balls after flyball every week and I can't recall any issues. There were several "roles".. the stalkers, the chasers, the outlyers, the "herders" and the main go-get-the-ball types. I have BCs who get so focused they run into things, but strangely enough they're aware of other dogs when playing group fetch. You'll often see some "give up" and let the other dog get it, to do that they'd have to be aware of the others. Now what I won't do is let them play fetch in a group with different breeds unless I already know the dogs, especially Aussies - no offense, but the majority of Aussies I've seen playing like to body-slam other dogs.

I've had dogs get injured just playing fetch by themselves. Had to pull Wick after one run at Regionals 2 years ago because she hurt her toe landing from a frisbee catch. I've also had dogs injure themselves while just running in the backyard, or in the woods while not playing fetch. Had a dog get injured jumping down from the bed. Unless we keep our dogs in bubbles, they're going to get hurt occasionally. It's the type of dog we have - the one that loves to run, and run fast. Injuries are going to happen regardless of how you exercise your dog. No one can tell you how or how not to exercise your dog, so do what works for you and what your dog likes.

Bottom line, yes fetch can be dangerous. In groups or individually. But so is any form of running or jumping.

Re: your description of your dogs playing fetch together - great! Sounds like a Quiddich match. Except the snitch is green and fuzzy!

Yep, and interestingly, my dogs seem to have gotten hurt most often while playing fetch, alone or in groups (I'll amend this to note that the injuries don't apply to playing fetch in water, where we can play group fetch without incident, so far). I've *rarely* had a dog hurt just running about on walks, etc., but then I don't encourage crazy behavior on walks either. Since I don't do dog sports, I haven't had the opportunity to observe a dog getting hurt in training for that. I have had a dog hurt when slammed by a ram while working, one kicked in the face by a heifer, and another hurt herself when she jumped through the barn window to work the sheep behind the barn (actually I think she hurt herself when she tried to jump back through the window into the yard), but in general my dogs have sustained far fewer injuries while working stock than they did when we used to play fetch. Since stockwork is the main reason I have these dogs, *I* have made the choice not to play fetch with mine.

As far as this thread is concerned, I stated earlier that it sounds like plenty of people are able to play injury-free fetch with their dogs. Good for them. If nothing else, I'd at least hope my comments here would make people think about the *possibility* of preventable injuries occurring when playing fetch. And it seems it has. Yes, accidents happen, but I don't see any harm in warning people that some activities may open dogs up to more injuries than others. I don't expect anyone to stop playing fetch with their dogs just because I mostly did. I find it interesting that folks have gotten their backs up over this whole subject, when I see this whole topic as similar to warning folks about overexercising pups. I'm sure there are plenty of young dogs who don't end up with OCD or a growth-plate injuries from their owners allowing them to overdo it when they are young, but we still warn people about the *risk* of injury from such activities.....

J.

I find it interesting that folks have gotten their backs up over this whole subject, when I see this whole topic as similar to warning folks about overexercising pups.

Actually, I don't think folks have gotten their backs up over this whole subject, I think they've (I've) gotten their backs up over the judgmental and know-it-all tone taken by some posters. Which do not include you, Julie. I found your "Calamity Jane" post to be an especially effective cautionary tale. That post and some others here have given me a lot of food for thought about ways to manage play and exercise for safety.

And just to stoke the argument a bit... :rolleyes: ... while exercising by means of play including fetch happens daily here, the only injuries either dog's suffered came from sheepherding. Inhaled foxtail (big $$) and torn pads.

Ah, but as Laura (Rave) would point out, your dog could have just as easily inhaled a foxtail while running through a field with no livestock in sight! :D:rolleyes:

I'll admit I left torn pads out of my list of injuries, and though torn pads happen with play and work, it does seem to happen more often when working.

J.

Yep, and interestingly, my dogs seem to have gotten hurt most often while playing fetch, alone or in groups (I'll amend this to note that the injuries don't apply to playing fetch in water, where we can play group fetch without incident, so far). I've *rarely* had a dog hurt just running about on walks, etc., but then I don't encourage crazy behavior on walks either. Since I don't do dog sports, I haven't had the opportunity to observe a dog getting hurt in training for that.

I've had a dog hurt while jumping into a creek - stick impaled in between two toes. I've heard of a lab dying while jumping into a lake near my house in NC when a stick impaled his chest.

I don't encourage crazy behavior on walks either. All my dogs are doing is running. Rave recently had an infected leg from running over a stickly weed that was sticking up just inches from the path. They've never (knock on wood!) had injuries while training or competing in sports that I recall.

The reason my (rare) fetch games are so carefully controlled is my past experience with dog injuries. One of my working dogs had to be retired thanks to injuries sustained during fetch games (adding up to many thousands of dollars over the years). I've never had a dog hurt while training for sports, and I used to run sled dogs, did some flyball and agility. Aside from one dog getting her leg caught in a gate, they have only had very minor injuries while working stock (torn pads, cuts).

BTW, my dog that nearly died during a game of fetch did so after playing in a lake. She swallowed too much water and suffered from an acute episode of water intoxication. It was getting in around the ball in her mouth. That is what did her in and forced her into early retirement.

Hear, hear! I'm with you on the barking thing! Barking dogs - AAAAAAAAAACK! Where I live there are a lot of canine police units, and the dogs - mostly GSDs, Dutch Shepherds and Malinois bark CONTINUOUSLY while the officer is driving around. I would have a stroke and/or kill the dog... What' UP with that? I once had a friend who was a pet-sitter who actually taught someone's apartment-dwelling BC to bark! (Another imminent death - her - not the dog.) And then there's the dogs that scream and foam and claw continuously if you are within 30 feet of a parked vehicle containing one. I get a perverse grin watching them destroying the interior of an SUV that I'm walking past with one of these nutballs in it.

I don't tolerate more that a woof or two from mine when somebody comes to the door, and the occasional bark when she's playing with other dogs. I decided against getting into flyball after watching a few you-tube videos of the sport. Yikes! They should call it Yap-ball! EEEEESH!

I've really been careful with Sugar while playing fetch after reading this and the related recent thread. I'm not gonna stop - it's too much fun, we do it every day. But I am being much more mindful of surfaces, the dog's excitement level and the danger of overheating.

Why police dogs bark (albiet) crazily when in their cruisers. That is their excitement . Once they go on a call and the lights go on, some get so excited , they know they night get a chance to "play" work. Others are protective of their cruiser .

Once home , these dogs turn into goofy lap dogs. But once the badge is on, they are all work. Their barking will never be corrected in anyway . To do so goes against their training .

My dog barks in the car in the couple of minutes of me leaving him there and entering a store. He never destroyed anything in the car, nor does he bark while I'm driving. (whining is totally different issue :rolleyes: ) And he only barks at people passing by, protecting his car, not just barking for the sake of barking. 10-15 minutes later as I return from the store he's usually asleep on the back seat, and only wakes up at the sound of me unlocking the door with the remote. I do remind him "no bark" when I leave the car, but the second I get inside the store I can hear him :D Oh, well, at least no one tries to stick their hands through the windows.

Actually, I don't think folks have gotten their backs up over this whole subject, I think they've (I've) gotten their backs up over the judgmental and know-it-all tone taken by some posters. Which do not include you, Julie. I found your "Calamity Jane" post to be an especially effective cautionary tale. That post and some others here have given me a lot of food for thought about ways to manage play and exercise for safety.

Exactly!

I think there is also something here that speaks to the split between working dog folks, who use their dogs primarily for that, and the rest of us, who either get out to see stock when we can (and are painfully aware this is a mostly unnecessary hobby for us), or who don't ever work our dogs and rely solely on other activities. I think most people here realize that the very reason for this breed's past AND current existance is sheep, I know I do. I find it a noble and really amazing heritage and purpose, but like many here, it is not *my* pet dog's purpose (YET - he he, I think he will get me to a place where it can be his real purpose someday!)

But for many of the rest of us, fetch is a really, truly, enjoyable activity that we love to do with our dogs. While it may be the most dangerous of the list including stockwork, agility, flyball, obedience, hiking/biking/etc to fetch (don't know about that, but for the sake of argument let's agree it is), it is also the MOST accessible to your average owner.

You can play it almost anywhere, and all it requires is a bit of training (or as much as you want), and a $1 (or cheaper) ball. Agility, flyball, and stockwork (etc) will all cost quite a bit of money as a hobby, and I think it's important to remember we may not all have these budgets at all times. In other words, it is a game for all owners, not just a lucky few with access to certain things like land or a farm or money.

All my friends and random aquaintances can also play with my awesome fetch dog, and are amazed at his tricks, enthusiasm, and stamina, so it helps him to be an instant crowd-pleaser, which can be important for us city- or suburban folk who want to bring our dogs around to work or other people's bar-b-ques, etc.

You don't need to be fit or athletically inclined yourself to do it, as brought up by Bustopher. Anyone can lob a ball or frisbee. In fact, Odin has played fetch with a <2 year toddler, who could only throw about 10 feet at best - it was so cute and so enjoyable for both of them. The kid was even trying to say a new word - "sit!" and thus interacting with my dog in a great way and learning already to be in charge of dogs.

And as others have pointed out and I myself have learned, it can be SO rewarding for the dog that it can be a really powerful training tool - in some cases even more so than treats.

As Sweet Ceana pointed out, it is wonderful for bonding with your dog and spending time together doing something you both like, for those of us who like it. And, it can be a good way to ensure your dog gets at least semi-regular exercise too, especially if you are a owner who can't hike or bike or run with your dog. Note that DOESN'T have to be the same thing as mindless tiring out of your dog.

So given all these aspects, I think if you feel it is too dangerous and you'd rather focus on some other activity available to you, that is fine, and certainly anyone's perogative. But if you don't have access to or ability to do a lot of other stuff regularly with your dog, there ARE a lot of positives to this activity. So I think some of us who do do it were a little put out that it would be described as mindless or basically a worthless thing to do with your dog, i.e. in no way worth the risk. For those of us without farms, land, or big budgets, or whatever, it is what we like to do with our dogs! Some of us even with these things love supplementing what other actuvties we have with this one. It DOES have real value to us. At the same time, information is always great and always appreciated, especially HELPFUL information that allows us to make informed decisions about how to be safer, because I know everyone here wants to keep their dogs safe and healthy. BUT judgment is simply not necessary, and I think that was the main problem.

*shrug* I had my non-fetching dog blow both cruciates just running and doing her thing in the yard (neither were acute tears). It happens. I could not have ever said to her no you may not run around in the yard, it's too dangerous. I've curtailed her activities a little bit since her surgeries, but not much. She's still a dog and I still want her to be a dog as much as I possibly can. Yeah, it was heartbreaking that she got hurt and that she has long-lasting effects from that and can't participate in the dog sports that I'd hoped to participate in, but life happens.

Fetchy dog doesn't worry me very much when we play. Mostly we play in the house or in a clear open lawn, and I've never had him hit a wall or tree or anything crazy like that (I had him land on his head once in agility and I still don't even know how that happened since the jump was all of 12" high). Sometimes we play mindlessly, sometimes I require things of him in exchange for a ball toss. I use a ball a lot in training because he loves it. Maybe he will get hurt someday while playing ball. I minimize the risks as much as possible, but there will always be risks. I'm ok with that.

Why police dogs bark (albiet) crazily when in their cruisers. That is their excitement . Once they go on a call and the lights go on, some get so excited , they know they night get a chance to "play" work. Others are protective of their cruiser .

Once home , these dogs turn into goofy lap dogs. But once the badge is on, they are all work. Their barking will never be corrected in anyway . To do so goes against their training .

Ok, that makes a certain amount of sense, although the dogs I've seen bark all the time - even on the way to Starbucks. :rolleyes: But I keep thinking it must be incredibly wearing for the officer in the car. I was wondering... If the dog is revved up about the opportunity to work - a reasonable assumption - is it specifically bite-work, or work of any kind? Do Schutzhund dogs always bark when they are in cars? Or, do police dogs bark when they are in their civilian cars? I'm not trying to be critical here, just trying to understand why this behavior is triggered/tolerated. I don't think that BCs bark when waiting to herd sheep. Is it because BCs are simply less "barky" than GSDs, etc.? And what is the connection - if any - between the barking pre-run flyball dog and the barking Police dog in a black-and-white unit? Is it simply excitement? I've never been to or seen an Earthdog event. Do terriers bark continuously when waiting their turn to go after a varmint?

Should this be a new topic for the Coffee Break section?

I think there is also something here that speaks to the split between working dog folks, who use their dogs primarily for that, and the rest of us, who either get out to see stock when we can (and are painfully aware this is a mostly unnecessary hobby for us), or who don't ever work our dogs and rely solely on other activities.

I'm really tired of seeing honest interests in these dogs/this breed's general welfare demeaned and trivialized as "just working dog people". Yes I use my dogs for work, but I also value their mental, phsyical, and emotional health as living beings and as my companions. And I hold the same standards of behavior for my "pet only" dogs as I do my dogs that also work. I don't want any of them to spend a lot of time chasing balls, frisbees, etc....because the pleasure doesn't equal the risk.

I read of the rest of your post and all I see is excuses and whining topped with a healthy dose of serious po-pitiful me and effort to make those that do put forth effort to do things with their dogs as being elitist, rich snobs.

Like most of the public, you want to be told that the easiest solution is the correct and proper one. Sorry. It's not.

There are a lot of options out there for exercise. If you choose to use it is up to you.

I think most people here realize that the very reason for this breed's past AND current existance is sheep, I know I do. I find it a noble and really amazing heritage and purpose, but like many here, it is not *my* pet dog's purpose (YET - he he, I think he will get me to a place where it can be his real purpose someday!)

But for many of the rest of us, fetch is a really, truly, enjoyable activity that we love to do with our dogs. While it may be the most dangerous of the list including stockwork, agility, flyball, obedience, hiking/biking/etc to fetch (don't know about that, but for the sake of argument let's agree it is), it is also the MOST accessible to your average owner.

You can play it almost anywhere, and all it requires is a bit of training (or as much as you want), and a $1 (or cheaper) ball. Agility, flyball, and stockwork (etc) will all cost quite a bit of money as a hobby, and I think it's important to remember we may not all have these budgets at all times. In other words, it is a game for all owners, not just a lucky few with access to certain things like land or a farm or money.

All my friends and random aquaintances can also play with my awesome fetch dog, and are amazed at his tricks, enthusiasm, and stamina, so it helps him to be an instant crowd-pleaser, which can be important for us city- or suburban folk who want to bring our dogs around to work or other people's bar-b-ques, etc.

You don't need to be fit or athletically inclined yourself to do it, as brought up by Bustopher. Anyone can lob a ball or frisbee. In fact, Odin has played fetch with a <2 year toddler, who could only throw about 10 feet at best - it was so cute and so enjoyable for both of them. The kid was even trying to say a new word - "sit!" and thus interacting with my dog in a great way and learning already to be in charge of dogs.

And as others have pointed out and I myself have learned, it can be SO rewarding for the dog that it can be a really powerful training tool - in some cases even more so than treats.

As Sweet Ceana pointed out, it is wonderful for bonding with your dog and spending time together doing something you both like, for those of us who like it. And, it can be a good way to ensure your dog gets at least semi-regular exercise too, especially if you are a owner who can't hike or bike or run with your dog. Note that DOESN'T have to be the same thing as mindless tiring out of your dog.

So given all these aspects, I think if you feel it is too dangerous and you'd rather focus on some other activity available to you, that is fine, and certainly anyone's perogative. But if you don't have access to or ability to do a lot of other stuff regularly with your dog, there ARE a lot of positives to this activity. So I think some of us who do do it were a little put out that it would be described as mindless or basically a worthless thing to do with your dog, i.e. in no way worth the risk. For those of us without farms, land, or big budgets, or whatever, it is what we like to do with our dogs! Some of us even with these things love supplementing what other actuvties we have with this one. It DOES have real value to us. At the same time, information is always great and always appreciated, especially HELPFUL information that allows us to make informed decisions about how to be safer, because I know everyone here wants to keep their dogs safe and healthy. BUT judgment is simply not necessary, and I think that was the main problem

If you can't work the dog, walk the dog, play home training games or sports, track/scent games .... I guess that's all that's left though. Honestly, I'd probably go out and buy a cat at that point. I'm not kidding - I've had Border Collies now for almost 20 years and I just don't do the ball thing. Yeuch. No thank you.

Well, I do work 2 of the dogs, walk all of them, do the various dog sports (though we've never done tracking), even tried to teach one of them to read. We do the stupid dog tricks, basic obedience, etc. Oh, and of my current four dogs, ALL FOUR OF THEM have competed in at least two national championships in their respective activities (agility and stock dog trialing - ISDS-style, for those who want to nit-pick), and the two agility/flyball dogs have over 70 titles between them (only say this because I guess it shows that we train and then take the game on the road to compete).

We play ball. There aren't a lot of rules. No biting/fighting, I guess. But they like it, I like it, it makes me smile, it seems to give them a bit of a work-out. I know they could get injured. I've decided that the enjoyment that they get out of it outweighs the risk. My dogs, my choice. I certainly understand and respect the POV of those who are not ball players. But I think it's a false dichotomy to say that you either choose to play a mindless game like ball or that you spend quality time training your collies in activities that are appropriate/cerebral/true to the breed's heritage. Some (a lot, I'd wager) of us do a little of both.

Ok, that makes a certain amount of sense, although the dogs I've seen bark all the time - even on the way to Starbucks. :rolleyes: But I keep thinking it must be incredibly wearing for the officer in the car. I was wondering... If the dog is revved up about the opportunity to work - a reasonable assumption - is it specifically bite-work, or work of any kind? Do Schutzhund dogs always bark when they are in cars? Or, do police dogs bark when they are in their civilian cars? I'm not trying to be critical here, just trying to understand why this behavior is triggered/tolerated. I don't think that BCs bark when waiting to herd sheep. Is it because BCs are simply less "barky" than GSDs, etc.? And what is the connection - if any - between the barking pre-run flyball dog and the barking Police dog in a black-and-white unit? Is it simply excitement? I've never been to or seen an Earthdog event. Do terriers bark continuously when waiting their turn to go after a varmint?

Should this be a new topic for the Coffee Break section?

Coffee Break Anybody ?

Do terrriers bark at earth dog events ? WELL YAA !! It can be very noisy at those events. I was at a few with friends and they bark wildly before going into the holes and when they find the rat. Thats what they supposed to do. The mazes get pretty tricky and narrow. it's amazing how those little guys do it ! I went to just check it out , I'm up for anything when it comes to dogs , I want to see it all. I left the last event wanting a JRT in the worst way. Still do , and it might happen one day.

As for the K9s , they do bark alot , but they wont be corrected or told to "shuddup" . Some are protective of their cruiser . Some are revved up because they are going on a call, lights going, siren on. It helps prepare the dog ,he knows he is going to get a chance to play with his towel or ball. (once he does his/her job)

The K9 officers learn to tune out the barking and look past it . (Learning to tune it out has also helped in second marriages too ) :D:D:D ( I feel a slap coming behind me ) :D

It's not all bite , where do you live ? :D LOL...

K9's are used for tracking alzheimer patients to kids and sometimes the criminal that thinks he can get one over on a K9 . (really stupid assumption) LOL..

K9s are used at ballparks , malls and concerts. The act as a deterrant, with their (quiet) presence , stupid human tricks are usually discouraged .

Once the badge goes on these dogs and they get in the cruiser , its all business. But when they are home , they are "off duty" and know it , they are back to being goofy , slobbering lap dogs. They also know when they are in the truck , they dont have to be "on duty" and if he knows you , you can stick your hand in and give him a pat. Kids love him and he has a passion for kids . Just lays down and wants to be cuddled by them. He gets all wiggly when he sees them.

As for barking while going to Starbucks , I'll ask around and get back to you on that one , Geonni Banner.. :D

My BC girl barks wildly if you approach the truck , so much that if you were to (stupidly) stick your finger in , you might loose it..But if she knows you , you could let her out of the crate and she would give you a good licking.

protective , or crate aggressive ? Not like that anywhere else when she is in a crate , like agility practice or a trial setting , or even home. I feel she is protecting her territory. She is the same way behind a fence.

As for my boy , he doesnt waste time barking. He just wants a hug , no matter who you are ! :D

The only other time my girl would bark at me is if I send her on a wrong course at agility trial. How she knows , she just does ,( I try not to act deflated ) and she gives me a good talking too. LOL...

Schutzhund dogs( that I know) bark mostly when left in their vehicles and you come close to it. But when out , no they dont bark unless asked to or they are doing a hold and bark. I would think this is territorial barking.

At home , my guys bark at everything a dog would bark at , like squirrels and rabbits , etc.

I think flyball is much noisier then any other doggie event I know. Nothing against flyball, I love it .

But the amount of excitement at them is electric ! So I think the Barking Award would go to them.. :D

Hope this helps . GSD arent all BARK BARK BARK. But when they are , foolish be the person to not heed the warning. :D

is flyball bad on dog joints more then playing ball

I'm no expert on Flyball, but to me it seems like it would not be. Flyball, from the little that I've seen, is more like Agility. Run, jump, run, jump, run jump, get ball, repeat.

I'm no expert on Flyball, but to me it seems like it would not be. Flyball, from the little that I've seen, is more like Agility. Run, jump, run, jump, run jump, get ball, repeat.

I agree , but when they hit the box they are doing what I think would be a swimmers turn ? But like anything else , there is a risk. My dogs dont live in bubbles , just slightly padded walls, LOL....They are BC ya know :rolleyes:

We play ball. There aren't a lot of rules. No biting/fighting, I guess. But they like it, I like it, it makes me smile, it seems to give them a bit of a work-out. I know they could get injured. I've decided that the enjoyment that they get out of it outweighs the risk. My dogs, my choice. I certainly understand and respect the POV of those who are not ball players. But I think it's a false dichotomy to say that you either choose to play a mindless game like ball or that you spend quality time training your collies in activities that are appropriate/cerebral/true to the breed's heritage. Some (a lot, I'd wager) of us do a little of both.

Amen, sista!

On to flyball. ISPY, of course collisions are going to cause injuries, but with good training and handling, that just doesn't really happen, at least not often. I've been doing flyball for almost 4 years and could count the number of collisions on one hand. And exactly none of the those were serious, or caused injury of any kind. Oh, and they aren't supposed to pass over a jump. If they do that, it's a fault. :rolleyes:

I think it's very important to teach a proper box turn to cut down on the possibility of injury. I worry about a dog who just runs up and slams their front legs on the box going full speed. I see possible shoulder problems down the line for them. My dog does a great swimmer's turn and that lessens the impact and possibility of injuries. Like anything else, you have to make the game as safe as possible and weigh the "dangers". For me, so far, it's worth it as my dog loves flyball more than any other activity we do.

Amen, sista!

On to flyball. ISPY, of course collisions are going to cause injuries, but with good training and handling, that just doesn't really happen, at least not often. I've been doing flyball for almost 4 years and could count the number of collisions on one hand. And exactly none of the those were serious, or caused injury of any kind. Oh, and they aren't supposed to pass over a jump. If they do that, it's a fault. :D

I think it's very important to teach a proper box turn to cut down on the possibility of injury. I worry about a dog who just runs up and slams their front legs on the box going full speed. I see possible shoulder problems down the line for them. My dog does a great swimmer's turn and that lessens the impact and possibility of injuries. Like anything else, you have to make the game as safe as possible and weigh the "dangers". For me, so far, it's worth it as my dog loves flyball more than any other activity we do.

I love flyball .There are the same risks in a agility. And thats what I do.

My mistake about passing over the jump. :rolleyes: Now that I think of it ,they pass "right before" the jump ?

I love playing ball with my dogs . They are super aware of each other when we play. Life happens. I will not stop enjoying my dogs. We do agility , even did some herding . Accidents can happen anywhere . I a sheep or whatever is being worked at the time , cant they turn and hurt your dog in some way ? Even if your dog is very seasoned ?

I can understand people standing up for what they do with their dogs , but we and they can get hurt walking out the front door , let alone in sports or jobs. I think we all want the best for our dogs and will take every precaution to protect them.

I can understand the points made about playing ball , and other activities , I will be super cautious now since I heard some of these incidents that members have pointed out . But i wont give up anything either. Just my opinions :D