BC Boards

Tennis Balls

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have used the kong squeaker balls in a chuck it, i presume they are totally dog safe.

Usually mine get cheaper balls for the park though as i throw them out after every couple of times they go. I always use the kong squeaker ones inside. My two don't destroy tennis balls though so they don't digest any of them, but Holly does like to hold ones sometimes whilst she plays with another one when she is indoors.

I keep my eye on their teeth and so far i don't see any wear on them with doing it this way.

I like the rubber chuckit balls - very durable, don't get all gross, and because there isn't any fur, there isn't any silica. They also have a new one that whistles that I'm thinking about getting at some point. :rolleyes:

As one with a dog who's teeth show the damage from tennis balls, I can concur with the previous recomandations for rubber chuckit balls - worth the investment. He still gets to play with his favorite thing in the world (real tennis balls) when we go to dog parks - because they're so many around, he would dump whatever other ball we'd bring there in favor of a yucky dirt covered tennis ball.

He still gets to play with his favorite thing in the world (real tennis balls) when we go to dog parks - because they're so many around, he would dump whatever other ball we'd bring there in favor of a yucky dirt covered tennis ball.

This is what i can imagine my two doing, i am still going to try and get hold of some though as they are better for them and i can clean them. We haven't got a dog park but where we go a lot of dogs go, this is a public park for all but there is always someone who doesn't clean up after their own dog... which is partly the reason i chuck so many balls out after we go there.

I do wonder though on the teeth thing whether it is just some dogs who have stronger teeth or is it because they chew the balls more and that causes the damage. I had never thought about it until i joined this board and Holly was already using tennis balls then. I have kept a check on her since and can't see any worn bits. I don't know whether it is because we mostly use the kong ones and they are better than an ordinary tennis ball or she and Zac have just been lucky and don't seem to be affected by playing with them.

I know some dogs destroy them as i often see a chewed up tennis ball at the park, Holly & Zac have never done that..... yet.. :rolleyes:

Our vet recommends against normal tennis balls, as the silica content can erode a dog's teeth. There are, however, tennis balls made specifically for dogs (e.g., Air Dog). We use dog-friendly tennis balls that have squeakers built into them, as they are softer on a dog's mouth when being cvaught in the air.

There was random testing done for lead content of tennis balls. Ironically enough, the expensive tennis balls made for human games were lead free while the balls made just for pets contained lead. :rolleyes: I use the rubber Chuckit balls as well. My dogs' favorite ball ever is the Disc-O (meteorlight) ball, but I also want to try the Chuckit that whistles.

Another vote for the chuck it balls. Those things last forever, they float, they are almost impervious to dirt, mud, etc, so that they show up really well in dim light in high grass.

My second favorite is Pinky balls. I've found those all over the place - drugstores in the kids' toy section, a couple times at various grocery stores. They're solid rubber and bright pink. They do last a long time, but the pink fades and unfortunately, a dog can chew one to bits. Not true with the orange chuck it balls.

Ruth

I got mine a couple of the rubber Chuck-It balls and they enjoy them. We have an assortment - regular tennis balls (the human ones), racquet balls, and the rubber Chuck-It balls. They don't seem to care one way or the other and tend to pick up whatever is closest.

I'm planning to get more of those at some point.

There is one major problem with Chuck-it balls. They get lost. I have a problem with anything made in China but then again try to find something that;s not made in china. the tennis ball contrevesy is something I'm interested in and I would really like to find a report on what balls are god or not for your dog. I'm very leary about tennis balls and Jins' teeth.

I also wonder if different dogs had different reactions to tennis balls. My late dog Bandit was a tennis balls worst nightmare. Killing them I think was his purpose in life. Until I found this board I also did not realize there was a problem, but although Bandit was a dog who got bad tarter, his teeth were not worn down. We did not play a lot of catch, after just a few throws the tennis ball had to die.

Oh my gosh I love the new ChuckIt! balls that whistle! No more going after the ball because Jade didn't see me throw it... she KNOWS when it's air-born! I absolutely love the whistling balls. Jade likes to squish them too...

4105975337_6f74983551.jpg

They make another ball, a green one with angles that bounces around sporadically. Haven't tried it as much as the whistlers, it doesn't fit into the thrower as nicely. The regular orange balls are fantastic as well!

ChuckIt! is pretty much my favorite dog toy brand... I really love everything they make!

I'm with Rachel - I LOVE the whistle chuckit balls. Those are the only kind we use. Much less going after the ball because the dog didn't see where it went.

However, due to the whistle-holes, they don't float. I've fished those things out of my in-laws pool many a time.

I want to try the lighted kind while it's still getting dark so early. Those sound pretty cool. Once I lost a chuckit ball at night, but to my surprise I found it again 3 weeks later, in a blackberry bramble.

Just a couple of questions as we do not play fetch here...are the Chuckit balls rubber? Do they bounce or are they dead like street hockey balls? Also, the one that bounces sporadically, rubber I assume? Have you all had any injuries? Like ACL, soft tissue, shoulder, lower leg, carpal, etc..It still amazes me how many people play fetch, with a moving object.

I can't speak for anyone else, but in my case, my dog leaves before the ball is thrown, runs out, turns, and waits for the ball. We have to make due, and play ball, as I don't have acreage, and my neighborhood is 100% not conducive to dog walking.

Just a couple of questions as we do not play fetch here...are the Chuckit balls rubber? Do they bounce or are they dead like street hockey balls? Also, the one that bounces sporadically, rubber I assume? Have you all had any injuries? Like ACL, soft tissue, shoulder, lower leg, carpal, etc..It still amazes me how many people play fetch, with a moving object.

Um, well, the I don't like that version, because he "goes for it" as it lands, and rolls, and that is when dogs are most likely to get hurt....

Also, now that we play in the dark/snow, he always has to use his nose, which I like. Don't get me wrong, I have downed him, had him stay, and then thrown it, but that is when I see him be crazier. By the way, the ball doesn't always just land in front of him... It IS ME throwing :rolleyes:

Steve doesn't like the green erratic balls, and I don't really know why. I don't find that they bounce tremendously different indoors where we play. My best guess is that he doesn't like how they feel in his mouth for some reason. But he loooves the regular rubber Chuck-it balls. He also likes the medium size Orbees.