BC Boards

Natural Flea Control?

Tommy Coyote

As I posted earlier my little dog has auto immune disease - idiopathic polyarthritis. No one knows what actually causes it. But it could be chemicals in her environment. Vets don't think it was her puppy shots as it had been almost a year since she had gotten her last shot. And they don't think it was her heartworm treatment - Sentinel. But I had just given her Sentinel two days before this disease blew up and got really bad. So I am very reluctant to use any kind of chemicals on her.

Has anyone tried natural flea control that works? Its not a problem right now because it is so cold here but come spring the fleas will get bad and I need to find something that won't hurt her.

Same with heartworm control?

Chickens eat ticks in the yard. Diatomaceous earth sprinkled around the outside of the house and in bushes and thick vegetation helps keep ticks, fleas and other parasites away. Neither is 100% but they can help quite a bit.

As far as controlling ticks and fleas off of the property, you have a lot fewer options. I haven't found a completely natural product that really works. Natural remedies, however, are not exactly something I have spent time studying. That question is better answered by a holistic vet. I know there are a few in/near Overland Park.

There is a hotbed of heartworm just north of Kansas City, so I would caution you to carefully discuss your heartworm prevention plans with a vet.

I find that the natural stuff works for some and not for others. It's worth a shot though. I've been using a product for the last 2 months called "Flea Free" by Natural Pet Products. It's a food supplement that you squirt into their water or food. I put it in their food. Their last flea preventative was about 2.5 months ago and so far so good. I'm in Florida, so fleas are around most of the year. I really hope it works for us long term.

I have not heard of a natural preventative for heartworm. Other parasites yes. I would probably not risk taking my dogs off of heartworm med. long term just to see if it would work. The result would be heartworm if it didn't work.

Would it work to just have her tested for heartworm every so many months - like every six months? I don't know what to do about that. I know some holistic people use black walnut for heartworm.

And maybe the vets are right and she can take Sentinel - at least during the high risk months. I'm just so afraid she will get sick again. She is doing so well right now - prednisone is down to 5mg a day but she is still on the Imuran every day.

Would it work to just have her tested for heartworm every so many months - like every six months?

Once she tests positive it means she has adults and will need treatment. There are 2 options, and neither one is particularly safe. Dogs can die during either treatment course.

One involves giving preventative every month and waiting for the adults to slowly die off. This can take years, and in the process the dog's heart, lungs and blood vessels can undergo a lot of irreversable damage. A single dose of preventative in a positive dog can sometimes cause a massive and potentially lethal immune response (ex: anaphylaxis).

The second option is to kill the adults and the microfilaria (babies). This involves injecting a drug that will essentially kill all the adults at the same time (not 100%, repeat courses may be needed). Again, dogs can have a massive immune response to the dying worms in the blood vessels. Sometimes the dying worms will lodge in the smaller blood vessels of the lungs, killing the dog.

Once she tests positive it means she has adults and will need treatment. There are 2 options, and neither one is particularly safe. Dogs can die during either treatment course.

One involves giving preventative every month and waiting for the adults to slowly die off. This can take years, and in the process the dog's heart, lungs and blood vessels can undergo a lot of irreversable damage. A single dose of preventative in a positive dog can sometimes cause a massive and potentially lethal immune response (ex: anaphylaxis).

The second option is to kill the adults and the microfilaria (babies). This involves injecting a drug that will essentially kill all the adults at the same time (not 100%, repeat courses may be needed). Again, dogs can have a massive immune response to the dying worms in the blood vessels. Sometimes the dying worms will lodge in the smaller blood vessels of the lungs, killing the dog.

I have to talk to her vet pretty soon so I will ask him what he thinks. She is the third dog he has had this year with this same stuff. I will find out what the other people are doing for flea and heartworm control.

How big a problem are heartworms in KC? A lot of the holistic people I know don't really believe that heartworms are much of a problem and think its kind of a scam. But they all live in low heartworm areas. Areas where it is very dry or very cold in winter or places where the days might be warm but the nights are still fairly cold.

I haven't had much luck with the holisitic vets here. I have put in two calls to Linda Farris and she has not called back. She is seeing patients at the Boardwalk clinic up on Barry road a couple of days a week. And I called out to Mariposa and asked to talk to the vet. It is an hour away and Tommy has trouble riding in the car so I didn't want to make the trip with her unless there was really something they could do for her. Two weeks later I got a call from the woman at the desk who said that they could treat her with Chinese herbs. But right now the standard protocol is working really well - she is feeling really good and is not limping at all any more. But Mariposa may have some good holisitic flea products that they sell over the counter out there. That would be worth the trip.

I buy tablets. Most any brand works. Currently I use the stuff at Walmart, but recently found that Petco sells it a bit cheaper in the larger quantity bottles (just under $6 for 600 pills). All the brands I've used say to give 1 tablet per 10lbs of body weight. I round up to 5 for Lucia since she 45lbs. The tablets are pretty cheap and even with having two dogs, find it pretty affordable.

The fleas don't like the taste of blood when it has the yeast and garlic in it. I've found a flea or two now and then in high flea and tick zones, but have never had any kind of a problem beyond that. Also, keeping your girl's fur really clean and the skin well nourished. Fleas like dry skin and dirty dogs for some reason. If you need to wash often, a nice organic shampoo or a baby shampoo works good without drying out the skin. I like Buddy Wash by Cloud Star. It smells awesome too!

I don't have any suggestions for ticks :D I don't live in a high tick area and don't worry too much, but when I visit the east coast (I'm there currently), my two are magnets for them. Even when I put the stuff on their necks :rolleyes: So I just stop using the chemicals all together. I figure if they're going to get ticks anyway, why bother.

I have a tick check routine that seems to work and they both enjoy the attention. One check as soon as we get back from a hike, a second check in an hour and one just before bed. By the third check, I've gotten any that i missed the first time. Being white really helps the process :D

How big a problem are heartworms in KC? A lot of the holistic people I know don't really believe that heartworms are much of a problem and think its kind of a scam. But they all live in low heartworm areas. Areas where it is very dry or very cold in winter or places where the days might be warm but the nights are still fairly cold.

If you ask a vet who works at a clinic with clients who generally keep up with preventative, they will probably see from a few cases a month to maybe one a year. But remember, the Missouri River runs right through KC. It serves as a highway for heartworm to the Gulf Coast. There is a low cost clinic north of the city that serves families from the city as well as the surrounding towns. They can see dozens of cases a day.

I moved to the Midwest from New England. I mostly saw cases in dogs who moved from the south, especially after Katrina (rescues). However, I did see a case of heartworm in a farm dog who had never traveled outside of a 10 mile radius until the day he showed up at Tufts in heart failure. That dog was born and raised in a part of CT where dog sledding is popular because of the cold, snowy winters.

I've heard of using "neem oil" for fleas. You can get it in holistic places. Also supposedly using dish detergent like "Joy" , dilluted of course , as a shampoo helps. You might have to do it frequently though.

As with anything , your dog can have a reaction to holistic products too , so it just be careful. :rolleyes:

Good luck.

I use neem oil in fly spray for my horses. It works, but it STINKS. I don't think I'd want it on a dog inside!

I never smelled neem oil . Woopsie, sorry I suggested it..... :rolleyes: I remember someone mentioning absorbine rub down being a fly repellant besides a linamint , or was that witch hazel ? It's been too long since I was around horses...My quarter horse died from founder. She was over 23 years of age. Great old mare... :D I had her since she was just 4 years old.

One day maybe....... :D

I use neem oil in fly spray for my horses. It works, but it STINKS. I don't think I'd want it on a dog inside!

Ben is so right. It's about the stinkiest stuff in the world. To me, it's stronger than anal gland excretion and maybe even stronger than skunk. I've used it on myself, just the tiniest bit smells for hours. Blech.

Ruth

We live in California amidst many bay laurel trees. None of my animals (dogs or cats) get fleas. Actually, they sometimes bring them home from places, but the fleas don't last. I've actually thought of bottling bay essence spray. I'm sure my dogs get a bit each day as they run around. It doesn't seem to repel ticks, however. I use a low dose of biospot for that when they are dropping from the shrubs (the ticks).

Nancy B

As I posted earlier my little dog has auto immune disease - idiopathic polyarthritis. No one knows what actually causes it. But it could be chemicals in her environment. Vets don't think it was her puppy shots as it had been almost a year since she had gotten her last shot. And they don't think it was her heartworm treatment - Sentinel. But I had just given her Sentinel two days before this disease blew up and got really bad. So I am very reluctant to use any kind of chemicals on her.

Has anyone tried natural flea control that works? Its not a problem right now because it is so cold here but come spring the fleas will get bad and I need to find something that won't hurt her.

Same with heartworm control?

I cannot recall who makes them but a company sells these flea tabs/tags that you put on the dogs collar. They also make them for humans to wear as well. I know someone who swears by them as her dogs spend a lot of time in a flea and tick infested area on weekends and since using these tabs/tags she has not seen fleas or ticks.

The lady is on vacation so can't ask who makes them but I am sure someone else will have some ideas on who makes it or how to research it. Maybe ask a vet or holistic vet. The woman has a couple dogs one of which has some medical problems so she stays away from chemicals when possible.

I found a great product to use on the pups this fall when fleas were horrible and Frontline and advantage weren't cutting it. Can't remember thename, but it has clove oil in it and it REALLY killed the fleas. Apparently it dissolves the exoskeleton. I have the bottle downstairs so email me later and I'll get the name for you. I understand Petco carries it. Dressler's carries the shampoo.

Work on mosiquito repellent for your yard/house. Chickens are great as are ducks. But I doubt the neighbors would appreciate the dog herding them LOL!

TTYL

Pam

Can't remember thename, but it has clove oil in it and it REALLY killed the fleas. Apparently it dissolves the exoskeleton. I have the bottle downstairs so email me later and I'll get the name for you. I understand Petco carries it. Dressler's carries the shampoo.

I once tried Sentry Natural Defense Natural Flea & Tick that contains clove oil, among other things. I had to give it up because Senneca went crazy for a couple hours, trying to rub it off.

I found a great product to use on the pups this fall when fleas were horrible and Frontline and advantage weren't cutting it. Can't remember thename, but it has clove oil in it and it REALLY killed the fleas. Apparently it dissolves the exoskeleton. I have the bottle downstairs so email me later and I'll get the name for you. I understand Petco carries it. Dressler's carries the shampoo.

Work on mosiquito repellent for your yard/house. Chickens are great as are ducks. But I doubt the neighbors would appreciate the dog herding them LOL!

TTYL

Pam

Vet said it was OK to use flea stuff so I put Vectra on her - that's what I had for Ellie. Hopefully that will work. I really don't want her to have fleas on her.

My vet isn't even selling Frontline anymore. I guess Vectra is good against fleas, ticks and misquitoes. And its cheaper. We will see.

Vet said it was OK to use flea stuff so I put Vectra on her - that's what I had for Ellie. Hopefully that will work. I really don't want her to have fleas on her.

My vet isn't even selling Frontline anymore. I guess Vectra is good against fleas, ticks and misquitoes. And its cheaper. We will see.

The Vectra worked well this summer on the older dogs. Just had to find something for the pups. I was impressed with the stuff a friend found with the clove oil in it. Sure smelled though

This cold should take care of the fleas for a while

The Vectra worked well this summer on the older dogs. Just had to find something for the pups. I was impressed with the stuff a friend found with the clove oil in it. Sure smelled though

This cold should take care of the fleas for a while

I didn't have trouble with fleas all summer. Then about two weeks ago I started having problems. Go figure.

I do not have much opinion on flea control- except its much easier to keep an enviroment flea free, than fight them off once they come in. I only ever have a problem with fleas when I bring in a new cat (from rescue). And unfortunately, my boy Conner has a terrible reaction. I do baths with baby shampoo (its considered the "gentlest" soap formula). And I use organic apple cider vinegar for the reaction (it does help, but stinks a bit- prob not as bad as neem oil tho)! But really, getting rid of fleas just takes TIME as well as treating monthly- but I've found that treating every 3 weeks keeps the dosage full strength. And no- garlic/brewers yeast doesnt prevent them or stop them when their IN, but will help boost keeping them AWAY! (Good maintenance) As my boys are always on garlic/brewers yeast, but again, when them buggers get in, they are hard to get rid of. The fastest I've ever got rid of the fleas was 2 months. And this is NOT infestation- but one or 2 fleas per dog!

As for heartworm. If you research a bit, you WILL find several holistic people who have discovered (to their dismay) that this is a VERY REAL problem! As for a preventative, I use Interceptor. So you know, if you look a bit, you should be able to find the FDA report on Intereceptor. Of several points regarding Interceptor I will relate:

1. You only need 1/5th dosage they suggest to act as a "preventative" for heartworm- as the full amount helps prevent the roundworms/hookworms/etc.

2. You only need to dosage approx 1 1/2 months, not every 30 days. Its effects last a bit longer than 30 days.

3. I never understand why its called "preventative". It acts retroactively- it only "works" if your dogs get bit by an infected misquito. As in, you have to catch it to kill it- it does NOT prevent any dog from getting the larve- just "prevents" from going into adults worms/into the heart! And if you research heartworm, it takes time for this to happen- such as several months. Thus, I personally treat my dogs every 1.5-2 months (and yes, we have to get tested yearly- no problems)!

Of note tho- I am not sure why, but many vets I know do NOT know much about the details of the products they sell- such as Interceptor working effectively at 1/5 of the suggested dosage. They are required (I believe) to sell the product according to the drug company's specs. I do know my current vet does know most of these things, but he took forever to find, and is NOT a cheap vet at all :rolleyes: So do ask your vet (of course!) but definitely do some research on your own! Try the Yahoo border collie group, there are several holistic type people on there who have helped me out with fleas ( apple cider vinegar suggestion).