http://tinyurl.com/dm64jh

New Zealand's Sheepdogs Under Threat:

http://tinyurl.com/ygfxmhl

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is what I got from the newspaper account:

Tesco was adamant that
one
of its largest suppliers in New Zealand, Silver Fern Farms in Fairton, should stop using dogs
to herd sheep into the abattoir
. . . .[silver Fern Farms] was visited by Tesco buyers earlier this year, who were "upset" at seeing the dogs "running riot", according to a spokesman for the supermarket. . . . Tesco stood by its decision. "
We don't have a problem with sheep dogs
, but we need to make sure they move the sheep in a considerate manner, so they don't stress the sheep out
," said a spokesman.

[Emphasis added]

I guess it's hard for me to see how you go from this to "Sheepdogs herding a flock may be a familiar farmyard scene, but it could soon be confined to the past if bosses at Tesco have their way." Or even how "pressure from AR groups" fits in. Isn't it at least as likely that quality of the meat was the buyers' main concern?

It is illegal in Switzerland to use herding dogs, like BCs. Nobody herds sheep with BCs there

Maja

Are you sure?

Swiss Sheep Dog Society

There are links to next weekend's Swiss Open Finals as well as recent Open Finals. Under the "Regionalgruppen" there are also links to sheepdog trainers throughout Switzerland. Two Swiss teams appear in the World of Sheepdogs.

Are you sure?

Swiss Sheep Dog Society

There are links to next weekend's Swiss Open Finals as well as recent Open Finals. Under the "Regionalgruppen" there are also links to sheepdog trainers throughout Switzerland. Two Swiss teams appear in the World of Sheepdogs.

Well, I stand corrected. I will have to talk to my source who has lived in Switzerland for many years (starting something like: Hi, I have just made an idiot of myself thanks to your information :D ) .

Maja

Are you sure?

Swiss Sheep Dog Society

A swiss Handler (Urs Imhof) won the European Championship this year in August (in Liglet, France)

And last year the European Championship was held in Switzerland.

Greetings from

Christine

;)

Dear Doggers,

Among dog owners, there is a fairly small but vocal nexus that feel that Animal RIghts activists intend to "take away our dogs". Call them "Worried". They seize on every scrap of evidence to confirm and urge this theory.

And, if the thirty or forty most extreme Animal Rights activists numbered thirty or forty million and had more political power than Mao's communist party, we less worried might have something to worry about.

Until that day - the "worried" try to make others "worried" or, better, very very afraid. Tesco (a grocery chain) told one of its supplier farms not to use sheepdogs to move slaughter ewes into the abatoir (slaughterhouse). Why?

Tesco is - far as I can tell - as concerned about Animal Rights as Walmart. Since Tesco is in business to sell meat, my guess is because the dogs at this particular farm bit and charged and carried on pushing sheep through poorly designed facilities so that carcasses were pumped full of adrenalin (neither good, tasty, nor saleable.

Can sheepdogs be badly handled? Er . . .yep. Is that probably what happened here? Without more information than the sensational press reports, that'd be my guess. Are they coming for our sheepdogs?

Spare me.

Donald McCaig

I do apologize for the misinformation. It was from a person whom I trusted to be reliable, and that's why I repeated it on an open forum, I usually try to be reliable and not repeat what I am not sure about. Perhaps there was some miscommunication involved. I will ask her to explain next time we meet (maybe take my shotgun with me too :lol: ) .

Maja

This is what I got from the newspaper account:

Tesco was adamant that
one
of its largest suppliers in New Zealand, Silver Fern Farms in Fairton, should stop using dogs
to herd sheep into the abattoir
. . . .[silver Fern Farms] was visited by Tesco buyers earlier this year, who were "upset" at seeing the dogs "running riot", according to a spokesman for the supermarket. . . . Tesco stood by its decision. "
We don't have a problem with sheep dogs
, but we need to make sure they move the sheep in a considerate manner, so they don't stress the sheep out
," said a spokesman.

[Emphasis added]

I guess it's hard for me to see how you go from this to "Sheepdogs herding a flock may be a familiar farmyard scene, but it could soon be confined to the past if bosses at Tesco have their way." Or even how "pressure from AR groups" fits in. Isn't it at least as likely that quality of the meat was the buyers' main concern?

I was just watching Ramseys kitchen nightmares where the resturant was buying lamb at tesco and said that they injected it with something numbered that I didnt catch to preserve it. I would think a dog causing stress would be less than processing chemicals in the meats in affecting meat and taste.