BC Boards

Whats are your favorite BC grooming products?

Brushes, combs, bathing equipment & supplies, favorite Shampoo, conditioner, de Furer's, nail trimmers, trimmers, scrubbers, bla bla bla.

Stuff you couldn't live without.

I lover the dremel tool with the right angle attachment with sand drum on it.

My dog and bird don't mind it at all. treat them the first few times while using it and they almost enjoy it.

Brushes, combs, bathing equipment & supplies, favorite Shampoo, conditioner, de Furer's, nail trimmers, trimmers, scrubbers, bla bla bla.

I'm pretty basic; a pin brush (it has a bristle brush on the other side) and the garden hose. I do have an emergency bottle of shampoo for the odd occasion when they have rolled in something so gross that plain water won't work, but it's rare indeed that I have to pull it out.

Pond water and towel, snow and towel. That kindda sums it up. (ok, we still have the same shampoo bottle from 4 years ago when we brought him home) and he sometimes gets a quick shower (emphasize the butt area) if things get "caught" in there.

Slicker brush for sticker removal mostly, although it's GREAT for skimming dog hair off an oriental rug.) Whatever shampoo I'm using - (Suave, something as unscented as possible.) Pliers-type nail cutters. The garden hose. I've had her 10 mos. and have bathed her once. She has a flat coat with almost no undercoat, stays clean and shiny, so I don't do much grooming.

Pond water does add a lustrous sheen and silky softness, I've found :rolleyes:

Srsly!

Agreed :D. Someone complimented me this summer on Robin's very shiny red and white coat and said I must bathe him 2 -3 times a week. I explained it was the mud baths, followed by a good rinse in the pond or creek that kept him so shiny. :D. They all swim when the weather suits and then I towel them off and brush them out. I don't think these dogs have had more than one shampoo bath this year and that was because Robin and Brodie were playing in the barnyard at the breeders and smelled like ode d' manure -- not good for house dogs. :D We did Ladybug just so she wouldn't feel left out. I used my shampoo on them. I also towel them off when they come inside in the morning after they've gotten wet in the frost.

I have a lovely soft rubber bristled brush that I use just to comb them through and remove any loose hairs. I bought it a couple of years ago at PetSmart. The other side has a soft rubber blade to swipe off dog hair from the sofa. It really works, so naturally they don't sell it any more :D. I have and use a Furminator on Ladybug when she starts shedding but all three have very easy medium length coats so its not often I use that -- just on Ladybug's "pantaloons" when required and that thicker, curly spot on the back of her shoulders needs a bit more attention now and again. (I actually had bought it for Scotty, he had a thick double coat that defied even the shedding comb and it work beautifully, really brought out the shine). I wouldn't use it on these guys because they have much lighter coats -- still rough coat, but more flat and silky. Petting Brodie feels like touching silk brocade fabric. Robin is like a plush teddy bear.

Robin (it's always Robin :D ) backed into a burdock bush the other day and being Robin, turned around to see what grabbed him and was covered. Pulled out what I could on the spot, then went to work with the shedding comb and the Furminator when I got home and they came out very quickly with little discomfort on his part.

I just have a good pair of nail clippers and trim nails just a bit about every two weeks. Brodie's nails are longer -- his nerve roots are especially long - or at least longer than Robin's, so he always ticks a bit when he walks on bare floors. They're good about having their nails clipped.

Liz

Shiloh gets very dirty everyday at the park but it all seems to fall off by the next day and somehow he is perfectly clean for the next play session. We bathe him once every 2 months (with some natural/unscented body wash) and the pavement on the sidewalk files his nails for us.

Occasionally we use these wipes on his paws or body (when he was little his stream would hit his leg). They work well and you can wash and reuse them again and again:

http://www.eco-me.com/_product_29528/Element_Dog_Clean_Wipes

Other than that the best thing we have is a swiffer vac to collect the dirt that falls off of him!

http://www.swiffer.ca/en_CA/sweepervac.do?247SEM

My quirky girl gets bathed weekly. She's got allergic seborrhea, and the medicated shampoo makes a big difference. She also gets her ears cleaned with vinegar water 1x/week.

Samantha on the other hand, only gets bathed when necessary. She had a UTI last spring that we had trouble getting rid of, and she was leaky, so her hind end got several shampoos. Other than that, she's bathed maybe 2x/year.

Buzzie was a dog I never ever bathed. He had only the mildest doggy smell, sweet breath and was always soft and shiny.

Both the girls love being groomed. They'll lay down and sigh heavily from time to time when I get out the rake or the brush. Aaaah, a day at the spa . . .

Ruth

Lavender/Mint Buddy wash....just because I like the way it makes them smell :rolleyes: They only need to be bathed every 4-6 weeks and mostly to get the grunge out. For being white, they stay pretty white and clean most of the time. Even after a good mud bath, it comes off pretty easy after they dry out. I chock it up to a good diet and exercise.

For grooming, Lucia gets a weekly brush out with a rake style comb (straight comb with bristles that spin) and Grady gets Fuminated. They have completely different types of fur and have different grooming needs.

Ears only gets cleaned after a bath or swimming to dry them out. Neither of them really ever had dirty ears.

Both the girls love being groomed. They'll lay down and sigh heavily from time to time when I get out the rake or the brush. Aaaah, a day at the spa . . .

Oh dear, Senneca hates being groomed; actually she's OK until I get to rear end; from then on it's a battle. Rhys bach, on the other hand thinks being groomed is heavenly; pure sensuous luxury.

Pond water does add a lustrous sheen and silky softness, I've found

Interesting observation. Rhys and Senneca are in the lake pretty much every day, so maybe that is part of their "beauty" secrets? Oh and the other grooming secret is their daily fish-oil capsule. That helps maintain their teflon coats.

I think my favorite product are the metal combs and the flea/tick combs. The slicker come in a close second. The other awesome thing is the grooming table(trying to convince someone to buy me one for x-mas). It convenient for me since they are the perfect height to do a complete grooming job and they can't move much/ get away. (evil laugh)

I got a dremel tool for my b-day but Cressa and Troy are freaked out by it so it get limited use. I can get one-two toes done before they yank their paw away and not let me touch it again.

Cressa puts up with me grooming her. Troy thinks he died and gone to puppy heaven when I grab the comb or whatever groom utensal unless its nail clippers or the dremel then he acts like I pop his little dreams bubble.

I groom my dogs a lot compared to most folks here, especially Solo, who has a very heavy coat. On him, I use an undercoat rake, a pin brush, and a Mars Coat King (actually an Oster knock-off, but same difference). If he isn't groomed regularly he becomes very woolly, and I use the Coat King to thin out his coat otherwise he is very, very poofy. Solo probably gets bathed an average of every eight weeks. I am a bit vain about Solo's coat, but then again he is the Best Looking Dog on the Planet.

Fly has a medium, kind of plush, hard coat that is almost wiry. She never gets dirty and dries instantly. I go over her with the Coat King occasionally but that's pretty much it. Her coat is slightly oily. She gets bathed when Solo does.

Jett has almost no coat but sheds a TON. The only thing that works on her is a flea comb. Everything else just goes right through her soft, silky coat without removing anything. Jett gets bathed when Solo does, but she could probably go without baths forever. She is always super, duper clean and always smells great, kind of like a human baby but without the diaper and sour milk overtones.

I keep a small set of sharp scissors to trim Jett's and Solo's feet. I like to get rid of hobbit hair and between-the-toes hair because it gets really muddy here in the winter and it keeps them from tracking mud into the house. Fly doesn't have long hair on her feet. I use scissors-style clippers to trim nails. When I bathe them I use whatever shampoo I'm using.

Buster has a kevlar like wool undercoat that is shedding out NOW. He hates being groomed, but I love my undercoat rake and the local Pet Supply place has a do-it-yourself dogwash. For less than $10 you BYO Shampoo (Rio Vista horse peppermint shampoo) and they provide a raised tub, apron, towels, hot water sprayer and a dryer. I am in love, no more cleaning BC fur off the walls to a height of 4 feet!

Other than the garden hose, I have a rake that I use during the short shedding season (works really well when the grand-doggie Sheltie visits during the summer - he sheds bags of stuff) and to help remove burdock pods; a comb that I use behind the ears and to get out the little clingy seeds they pick up in the pasture in the fall; and a toenail clipper that I use when work doesn't keep the nails short enough. The dogs get a good feathers, butt feathers, and tail clean-out in th spring (well, maybe not Dan, because he doesn't have anything yet that has needed combing out), and nails trimmed every now and then. If I worked them enough, the nails would be a non-issue.

In general, they are awfully easy keepers in the grooming department...

I use a metal comb on Cheyenne at least once a week and give her a bath with puppy shampoo once a month or so. Between her obedience and agility classes, she was getting pretty dirty on those pretty white stockings. The obedience class is finally over, so she may stay a bit cleaner now. Since she climbs up in bed with me in the morning, she usually reaches my doggy smell tolerance level in a month. I haven't done her nails yet, but have managed to time her kennel stays so they can give her a bath and trim her nails.

We've had our BC over 3 years and he's never had a full bath - very occasional spot washes if he's rolled in something the hose won't get rid of.

He's short coated and a once in a blue moon a quick once over with a Furminator is enough.

We train on orange sand which stains his feet temporarily but within a few hours it's gone.

Not so the hairy BC belonging to a friend. He gets bathed regularly and she can't shift the stain. I suspect that stripping the oils from his coat has made the hair more porous. He gets wet to the skin and supposedly feels the cold - mine doesn't.

Doesn't smell or look dirty. Never needs his nails clipped.

I have a very hairy BC x too - Furminator and fine tooth comb do him plus pliers type nail clippers.

The last time Ouzo got a full shampoo bath was in May, when, after a long walk and run, we got in front of our home and I threw one last ball and it landed in the wetlands - him being a good boy went to retrieve it, and came back looking like this. Yes, it stunk like sulphur, too.

3541291818_f77042c1fe.jpg

Those black stains on the asphalt stayed there for at least a week :rolleyes:

And just because we're talking dirty dogs... His Teflon coat can stand a lot of things... however, couple of winters ago, this is the best his coat did

From this at the dog park

2259550598_b30a8b1055.jpg

To this at home - exiled on the balcony while we were rushing to get the bath ready for him

2258774493_89e8a6d053.jpg

The last time Ouzo got a full shampoo bath was in May, when, after a long walk and run, we got in front of our home and I threw one last ball and it landed in the wetlands - him being a good boy went to retrieve it, and came back looking like this. Yes, it stunk like sulphur, too.

3541291818_f77042c1fe.jpg

Those black stains on the asphalt stayed there for at least a week :rolleyes:

And just because we're talking dirty dogs... His Teflon coat can stand a lot of things... however, couple of winters ago, this is the best his coat did

From this at the dog park

2259550598_b30a8b1055.jpg

To this at home - exiled on the balcony while we were rushing to get the bath ready for him

2258774493_89e8a6d053.jpg

He's such a beautiful dog with a wonderfully expressive face, even covered in mud! Robin was a mudbug as a pup...to the point now where if we even look toward the hose, he's outta there!

post-10125-1258750158_thumb.jpg

Pond water does add a lustrous sheen and silky softness, I've found :rolleyes:

Srsly!

I totally agree!! I had someone comment on Myla's shiny black fur and it was all because of her swimming in the festy creek down the road. Unfortunately im not so lucky with my littlest one she is pure white so she always looks filthy except for the split second after she has had a bath. The moment you let her out short of hanging her off the washing line she guaranteed to get dirty!

I use a wire slicker brush, not that i really need one, my girls don't shed much, (except for the season transition holy crap!!!).

a #1 all systems slicker brush. I used to groom then farley often but I dont have time anymore, periodly I run a slicker through their coat, and trim their nails. they get bathed on occasion..latley mostly because Rusty is on Prednizone which makes him pee alot..and if I cant get him outside when he needs to go..he seems to think poor Happy makes a wonderful pee post.

otherwise most of my grooming time has been focased on Ladybug, she has such a long thick cottony coat that I have to bathe her with oatmeal shampoo and brush her aggressivly for like 2 hours..just to get enugh coat out that she isnt itchy. Ladybug however is not a BC lol

I use the Millers Forge pet nail clippers (for large dogs) and I like them because they cut through quickly. I am trying to get my dogs off chemicals for flea control, and am experimenting with some new products. I like the Richard's Organics Flea and Tick Shampoo. Nice smell and all natural product. I'm using it in combination with a food supplement called Flea Free. So far it's been two months and I haven't had to give them their Advantage yet. Usually I can only hold off for about 6 weeks, as we live in Florida and fleas love us. If it works long term it will be well worth the try.

I lover the dremel tool with the right angle attachment with sand drum on it.

My dog and bird don't mind it at all. treat them the first few times while using it and they almost enjoy it.

My BC is sensitive about brushing. I bought her a horse face brush at Tractor Supply. She tolerates this somewhat, but she has to bite my hand while I brush her. I pay the vet to clip her nails, its too much of a battle for me to do it.