BC Boards

What's next ?

IPSY

Knowing how the majority of you feel about the AKC I'm probably stepping in something real stinky about now , but why is the AKC excepting mixed breeds in their agility trials ? How did this come about ? How are they scored ?

It's been a couple of years since I've been in a AKC trial , but geez , how things change !!

When I dropped out of NADAC , due to all the rule changes , and "missing obsacles" , there was still a teeter, LOL..

I only enter NADAC if I need to "train" in the ring..IMO , that's all it's good for...

Some say rules were changed to meet the needs of 'some' competitors , WHATEVER :rolleyes:

Another, potentially huge, revenue source. In order to compete, I would assume even mixed breeds would need some sort of paperwork, and that's a revenue source. Entries are a revenue source. It's all about the money. Also, a source of "recruits" and, eventually, converts to the "sport of purebred dogs". AKC has been losing in registration numbers for some years now and this is one way to overcome those declining numbers.

Mixed breeds, as I understand it, will not compete directly with purebreds. Heaven forbid that mixed breeds might outperform purebreds in the "sport of purebred dogs".

My opinions, only.

Another, potentially huge, revenue source. In order to compete, I would assume even mixed breeds would need some sort of paperwork, and that's a revenue source. Entries are a revenue source. It's all about the money. Also, a source of "recruits" and, eventually, converts to the "sport of purebred dogs". AKC has been losing in registration numbers for some years now and this is one way to overcome those declining numbers.

Mixed breeds, as I understand it, will not compete directly with purebreds. Heaven forbid that mixed breeds might outperform purebreds in the "sport of purebred dogs".

My opinions, only.

You had me rolling with your last line... :D

Im wondering if these dogs will be scored differently then the purebreeds. And what the heck happens to my ILP dog ?

Are they scored the same as the purebreds or included with the mixes ? What a stinking mess !

Dont get me wrong, nothing wrong with the mixes , but, IMO , AKC is going up in flames ! Unbeleivable..

How many runs are they going to limit each day ? Could you imagine the wait some of us will have if we are running two dogs in different classes ? OMG ! :rolleyes:

As the owner of a mixed breed, let me just say this irks me to no end. As Sue R said, the only reason AKC is letting mixed breeds compete is for the entry fees. And even then, it's a "separate but equal" competition. Completely ridiculous. I'm not to the point of competing with my dog yet (actually we just started training!), but if/when we ever get there, I refuse to set foot in one of their trials. And they're dead wrong if they think they're converting me to the dark side.

I agree with you Frogs and Dogs. I hope there are plenty of other venues near enough to you two . Unfortunately for me , AKC has the most trials in my neck of the woods. Most only a few minutes drive , others a couple of hours away.

NADAC and USDAA are once or twice a year by and thats not simply enough for us.

I didnt want to ruffle any feathers about mixed breeds , just wanted to vent my opinion about how the AKC is falling apart.

JUST MY TWO CENTS.

Im wondering if these dogs will be scored differently then the purebreeds.

From what I understand - and I don't have direct involvement - the mixed breed dogs will not be scored differently. They will simply have their own classes and they will earn "Mix Breed" titles. But the scoring, I believe, will be the same.

And what the heck happens to my ILP dog ?

Are they scored the same as the purebreds or included with the mixes ? What a stinking mess !

ILP dogs are still considered "purebreds" for performance event purposes. So, they would compete with the purebreds.

However, I have heard via the vine that dogs who are not approved as ILP (or, I think it's called PAL now), are automatically given a Mixed Breed registration number whether the owner wants that or not. That won't effect anyone whose dog already has an ILP, but it will affect those who are trying for one.

What is going to happen is that certain purebred dogs are going to be classified as "Mixed Breed" based simply on appearance.

So, in the long run, if you want to run a dog in the regular classes in AKC, you had darn well better get an AKC registered dog.

Dont get me wrong, nothing wrong with the mixes , but, IMO , AKC is going up in flames ! Unbeleivable..

How many runs are they going to limit each day ? Could you imagine the wait some of us will have if we are running two dogs in different classes ? OMG ! :rolleyes:

The mixed breed class will not be offered with every performance event, and it can't be offered with any event held in conjunction with a breed show.

When clubs do choose to offer it, I guess they will determine number of runs, etc. From what I hear, this is most likely to be offered by clubs whose trials aren't filling. Those that are already filling are unlikely to offer the mixed breed class.

On one hand, a certain population has been on the AKC for years to allow mixes in performance competition. On the other hand, they've only chosen to do it halfway.

I personally think their motivation is to influence people to get AKC registered purebreds in the future.

I'll proudly stick with my mutt in CPE, thank you very much!! They (AKC) can take their "mixed breed class" and stuffit.

Although, I would love to register a purebred Border Collie as a "mix" and then listen to everyone whine because "there weren't supposed to be Border Collies (insert pouty tone) in this class". OK, that was mean and negative. I'm not really going to do it - I just think it would be funny.

I do not compete in agility and I understand that AKC's motivation is mostly $$ but I personally would love to see agility and flyball (maybe flyball is already) more "companion dog" oriented than a purebred competition. Neither makes any sense as a proving ground for purebred breeding stock, so why the emphasis on that? I think (hope) that less border collies would be bred specifically to compete in these sports if they were less exclusionary.

I do not compete in agility and I understand that AKC's motivation is mostly $$ but I personally would love to see agility and flyball (maybe flyball is already) more "companion dog" oriented than a purebred competition. Neither makes any sense as a proving ground for purebred breeding stock, so why the emphasis on that? I think (hope) that less border collies would be bred specifically to compete in these sports if they were less exclusionary.

Not sticking up for AKC , but , USDAA . UKC , NADAC , CPE , and many others are all "companion" dog venues , open to all. These venues are great fun and in my opinion more challenging than AKC agility.

But , when you are "hooked" there is just not enough trials, LOL....

And now AKC wants to "lure" those competitors to their trials . But I just dont think they will get a big turnover , the other venues are much more fun , more runs daily and lets face it , I dont think AKC "competiton people" are going to be too welcoming to the mixed breeds. How sad because it really just comes down to having fun with our dogs..

I am much more happier being at a trail than anywhere else. I'm with my dogs having fun..everything else is just cake.

From what I understand - and I don't have direct involvement - the mixed breed dogs will not be scored differently. They will simply have their own classes and they will earn "Mix Breed" titles. But the scoring, I believe, will be the same.

ILP dogs are still considered "purebreds" for performance event purposes. So, they would compete with the purebreds.

However, I have heard via the vine that dogs who are not approved as ILP (or, I think it's called PAL now), are automatically given a Mixed Breed registration number whether the owner wants that or not. That won't effect anyone whose dog already has an ILP, but it will affect those who are trying for one.

What is going to happen is that certain purebred dogs are going to be classified as "Mixed Breed" based simply on appearance.

So, in the long run, if you want to run a dog in the regular classes in AKC, you had darn well better get an AKC registered dog.

The mixed breed class will not be offered with every performance event, and it can't be offered with any event held in conjunction with a breed show.

When clubs do choose to offer it, I guess they will determine number of runs, etc. From what I hear, this is most likely to be offered by clubs whose trials aren't filling. Those that are already filling are unlikely to offer the mixed breed class.

On one hand, a certain population has been on the AKC for years to allow mixes in performance competition. On the other hand, they've only chosen to do it halfway.

I personally think their motivation is to influence people to get AKC registered purebreds in the future.

I'll proudly stick with my mutt in CPE, thank you very much!! They (AKC) can take their "mixed breed class" and stuffit.

Although, I would love to register a purebred Border Collie as a "mix" and then listen to everyone whine because "there weren't supposed to be Border Collies (insert pouty tone) in this class". OK, that was mean and negative. I'm not really going to do it - I just think it would be funny.

If you ever do register a purebred BC as a mix , please let me know when and where. I would LOVE to be there...LOL.... :rolleyes::D

So the AKC has opened Agility competition to mixed breed dogs. (Whatever happened to the PC term "random-bred dogs?" That one always cracked me up - picturing blindfolded dogs saying eeny-meeny-miney-mo before mating.)

Is this their first step to registering designer mutts? After all, they can say (in many cases), "Well, the parents were both AKC registered purebreds." :rolleyes: There is a growing public awareness of the puppy-mill problem. If the AKC is legislated into not being able to register puppy-mill pups, they will be scrambling to replace that income source. What better way than to register designer mutts? Often produced by Jack and Jill BYBs - they could be a nice loophole to avoid the label "puppy-mill."

Is it possible that the AKC is heading for collapse? Could this be a desperate measure to keep their organization "in the black?" Wishful thinking, I suppose. But maybe...

As the owner of a mixed breed, let me just say this irks me to no end. As Sue R said, the only reason AKC is letting mixed breeds compete is for the entry fees. And even then, it's a "separate but equal" competition. Completely ridiculous. I'm not to the point of competing with my dog yet (actually we just started training!), but if/when we ever get there, I refuse to set foot in one of their trials. And they're dead wrong if they think they're converting me to the dark side.

Ugh...I'm totally with you. It's unlikely that we'll ever actually compete, but it's still frustrating. My training club basically trains for AKC trials which drives me crazy. Sometimes makes me wish we had stuck with flyball.

If the AKC is legislated into not being able to register puppy-mill pups, they will be scrambling to replace that income source. What better way than to register designer mutts?

Hmmm...if they do that, I wonder if they'll allow for ILP designer mutts. Every random shaggy haired dog could be registered as some kind of -oodle. :rolleyes:

Ugh...I'm totally with you. It's unlikely that we'll ever actually compete, but it's still frustrating. My training club basically trains for AKC trials which drives me crazy. Sometimes makes me wish we had stuck with flyball.

Hmmm...if they do that, I wonder if they'll allow for ILP designer mutts. Every random shaggy haired dog could be registered as some kind of -oodle. :rolleyes:

Hey , I heard those lab a doodles are pret-ty fast....LOL.. :D

Is this their first step to registering designer mutts?

I'm not sure. In fact, they will alienate many of the designer mutt folks. They don't consider their dogs mixed breeds and many that I have met get very uppity if you suggest such a thing. I can't imagine that most of them would actually register their dogs as mixed breeds to do AKC Agility or Rally or Obedience. They would actually have to admit . . . on some level . . . that their dogs are, in fact, mixed breed dogs.

This also effects those who have dogs of actual breeds that aren't recognized by the AKC like Catahoulas, etc. Technically, they could register them as "mixed breed", but most of them won't want to.

AKC the All Kash Club.

Got me for a fee to registers Jins CGC for a coujple of patches and a certificate I can make in my computer.

I think (hope) that less border collies would be bred specifically to compete in these sports if they were less exclusionary.

Probably the opposite would happen if non papered BCs could compete. Competitive people want the best and BCs are particularly suited for and successful in agility.

Here in the UK it's always been the case that any dog can compete and the vast majority of dogs are BCs, more and more of them being specifically bred for the sport.