BC Boards

Who ?

IPSY

It should probably be noted that technically the Open Registration period for border collies is over. The AKC finally brought it to a close in January 2006, eight years after AKC had originally said they would close the studbook. However, at the same time they supposedly ended Open Registration, they declared that from now on they would permanently recognize and accept registrations for dogs registered with the ABCA, AIBC, NASDS, CBCA and ISDS. The AKC giveth with one hand, the AKC taketh away with the other. Or, as I posted at the time:

Open registration ended January 06, and the studbook is now closed to all dogs registered with imaginary border collie registries. However, dogs registered with real border collie registries (ABCA, AIBC, NASDS, CBCA, and ISDS) are welcome to register with the AKC forever. So the border collie registration situation after January 06 is exactly the same as it was before January 06, except that AKC can say the studbook closed.

Don't ask me to explain -- I only watch in bemused despair.

Also, the statement, "The American Kennel Club in conjunction with the Parent Club (also known as a national breed club) sets this time frame [for Open Registration] for the breed" was false with respect to the border collie, since the AKC recognized the breed without naming a parent club. The AKC alone set its breed standard, and the AKC alone determined the length of the Open Registration period, which they said would last for three years, but which they later repeatedly extended.

USBCHA-sanctioned trials are open to all dogs, registered or not. Sanctioning (or gaining points for eligibility for National Finals) only applies to Open and Nursery classes. All other classes are non-sanctioned by USBCHA but may offer points within regional or local associations (like NEBCA or VBCA) for year-end awards.

In order to compete in AKC activities of any kind, I believe your dog must be registered with AKC or have an ILP (or whatever the equivalent is now, and must be neutered). They may now even offer performance classes for non-purebreds. I assume something similar is in place for UKC events, whatever they may be.

For groups like USDAA and NADAC, I believe any dog may compete but may need some sort of paperwork, and even mixed-breeds or dogs of totally unknown breeding may compete. There are folks here that can tell you about the requirements for these venues as they are competitors there.

If you have any serious plans for your Border Collie, stick with USBCHA/ISDS-style trialling, and find a good trainer who is a successful, Open-level USBCHA trialist, not an AKC "herding" person. JMO. If I were you, I'd avoid AKC entirely, and only register ABCA (if you can - you might not be able to do so since litters are registered, not individual pups). But, what you do and where you compete will be your choice.

Best wishes

Thank you for all your help, this has been quite a trip...LOL... :rolleyes:

As far as I understand, since both parents are dual-registered, you can register your pup with either registry and with whatever name(s) you choose (within each registry's limits).
This was my take on the situation, too.

Your pup's parents (or grand parents) were ABCA registered and then AKC registered (using the same name appearing on the ABCA papers). The breeder then registered a kennel name with the AKC and all subsequent offspring were registered with the ABCA with a simple name and with the AKC using the kennel prefix and additional name(s). These later registrations were made solely from the pre-existing registration of the parents (ABCA => ABCA and AKC => AKC).

The AKC permits names to be up to 36 characters (including spaces) long, and up to 50 if you pay extra. That is why you see names like "Omegamtn Mi Sun Dancer Of Blue Rose," which I came across this week. The ABCA allows up to 14 characters (including spaces).

What a name! The names of the dogs competing in the big name conformation shows always remind me of some of the crazy Thoroughbred names I've heard on the track.