BC Boards

Books on fear aggression

Megs

I have already ordered The Cautious Canine....I need and want more suggestions! A book that I can relate to, in other words one that is particularly and focusses on fear aggression towards strangers, men, human beings :rolleyes:

Thanks.

While not directly a book about fear aggression, I'd recommend Emma Parson's Click to Calm. It does deal more with dog-dog reactivity, but you can apply the principles to fear aggression or reactivity toward men.

I'd also recommend Control Unleashed. Again, this book does not deal directly with fear aggression, but most of the techniques detailed in the book can help such a dog.

If you haven't seen it yet, there's an excellent website - www.fearfuldogs.com

That site has a wealth of info that you can apply to a dog who struggles with different types of fears.

Finally, if you want a really good read, I highly recommend Patricia McConnell's "For the Love of a Dog". This is not a training book and won't offer you specific training tips, but she has a phenomenal chapter on fear in dogs. She discusses the physical side of fear and what happens within the dog when he or she is experiencing fear. Understanding this can really help you to determine what techniques are appropriate for a fear aggressive dog and which are likely to make the problem worse.

"Bringing Light to Shadow"

is the story of Pamela Dennison's journey (training journal) with her fearful dog Shadow. Not so much a training book, but will offer incredible amounts of insight and inspiration.

"How to Right a Dog Gone Wrong"

another Pamela Dennison book, great book. It does have chapters on fear aggression etc. and program outlines on how to work with your dog in step by step fashion.

"Scaredy Dog!" by Ali Brown, I've heard this is good, haven't read it.

"Help for your fearful dog" and "Getting a grip on aggression cases" both by Nicole Wilde, again haven't read these but heard they were good.

Any book by Patricia McConnell will be worth reading. Especially the ones mentioned. "The Other end of the Leash" also has info on fear etc. too, but this book is more the science behind the behaviours, not particularly how to stop them. But once you understand the "why" you will learn how to completely help your dog. It also talks a lot about the difference between canine and primate behaviour and how we interact differently as species. Something a lot of people don't understand but incredibly important.

I also second Control Unleashed and Click to Calm.

"Bringing Light to Shadow"

is the story of Pamela Dennison's journey (training journal) with her fearful dog Shadow. Not so much a training book, but will offer incredible amounts of insight and inspiration.

"How to Right a Dog Gone Wrong"

another Pamela Dennison book, great book. It does have chapters on fear aggression etc. and program outlines on how to work with your dog in step by step fashion.

"Scaredy Dog!" by Ali Brown, I've heard this is good, haven't read it.

"Help for your fearful dog" and "Getting a grip on aggression cases" both by Nicole Wilde, again haven't read these but heard they were good.

Any book by Patricia McConnell will be worth reading. Especially the ones mentioned. "The Other end of the Leash" also has info on fear etc. too, but this book is more the science behind the behaviours, not particularly how to stop them. But once you understand the "why" you will learn how to completely help your dog. It also talks a lot about the difference between canine and primate behaviour and how we interact differently as species. Something a lot of people don't understand but incredibly important.

I also second Control Unleashed and Click to Calm.

Thanks Daisy duke - you are a star!!!!!!!! All are currently being ordered!

Thanks Guys :rolleyes:

Lots of good suggestions for you - great books.

THe other one (there's always one more) which is along the lines of "The Other End of the Leash" is Suzanne Clothier's "IF Dogs Could Pray, Bones Would Rain from the Sky'.

Both of these books delve into the canine psyche and human/dog bond and relationship and show how we can get off track in our training and relationships when we don't understand that dogs and humans are different. I am always picking up both of those books and re-reading the chapters continually - keeps me mindful of small things that are easy to forget.