BC Boards

New pup - New Personality

We just got a new border collie puppy on the 8th of November, her name is Pandora and she is 8 weeks old. She is my third border collie, my other two I got at 4 and 5 months and both were very laid back pups, my male was shy as a pup and I wouldnt have called either of them daring.

Pandora is totally different, as soon as we got her to the house she was totally at home, she doesnt mind loud nosies or new places/experiences, she's very bold. She has lots of energy and seems to run and play more than sleep. She doesnt mind going and exploring on her own, but she will also run to us as soon as we call her and likes attention and playing with us.

I'm just wondering what you think she will be like as an adult, I realize that only time can tell, but my other two were different from her as pups, although they were older when I got them.

Is the family in for a more energetic, confident dog with this one?

From my limited experience, they will grow cautious with age--especially things they aren't socialized to at that age. So I recommend using that boldness to introduce Panda to as many new experiences as possible that way YOU will be able to morph the pup into the adult you desire. Congrats on the new pup!

What were her parents like?

She sounds pretty confident and not super sensitive but they do go through changes mentally as they get older. Try to be aware of her confidence level when you introduce new things, if she goes into a shaky period you don't want to over load her or scare her.

Pups are a ton of fun, arn't they? Enjoy her! But, remember that you are already training, she is learning what is acceptable based on what you allow.

I have an 8 1/2 week old pup here now that is putting us through the paces, he's wanting to be a little monster.

BTW, be careful as to how much wandering and exploring you let her do on her own, if she is fearless it will only be a matter of time before she's off running with no interest in you. Your shy dogs may have tended to rely on you and want to stick close, wanting to know where you were, if this one is independent you may not have the luxury of her checking in with you and you may end up with one that needs to be taught to stay with you.

Deb

BTW, be careful as to how much wandering and exploring you let her do on her own, if she is fearless it will only be a matter of time before she's off running with no interest in you. Your shy dogs may have tended to rely on you and want to stick close, wanting to know where you were, if this one is independent you may not have the luxury of her checking in with you and you may end up with one that needs to be taught to stay with you.

Deb

At six months, Robin is a happy, carelessly fearless pup....plunges into anything without a backward glance. It's going to be a long time before he gets off the long lead because there's no umbilical cord...he could care less where we are when he's got the entire world to explore. Brodie on the other hand, has a more cautious nature and Ken has recently started taking him for off lead walks in the back field with good results.

Both my adults have a VERY good recall, so hopefully I can teach her to aswell, so far she comes whenever you call her, and although she explores she is always willing to come at this point.

I am taking her to her first class on November 23rd, Puppy socialization, so that should be fun and a good experience for her.

Right now I think she is teething and wants to chew everything, including my hands if she can, so she's having to learn to be gentle and that poeple are off limits as far as rough mouthing is concerned.