BC Boards

Results from Boy's visit to Texas A&M

I'm so sorry to hear about Cap. I know how heartbroken you must be to not have him by your side anymore. I'm so sorry. :rolleyes:

The neurologist suspects a brainstem abnormality for Boyden. Perhaps he has a lesion, or some sort of inflammatory process going on. Bloodwork will check for everything under the sun that might cause irritation of his brain. I've got to call and make that appointment...

What are the odds that Boy would have a brainstem abnormality like his mum? One in a billion? Why can't I have such good odds when it comes to the great things in life? You know, like finding a treasure in the attic worth millions or something!

Originally posted by Miztiki:

He's been running and playing as usual too. At least now I won't have to worry about him hurting himself in the process.

That must be a relief despite all the other stuff.

I hope the next round of tests will finally get some results! Best of luck to you and Boy.

Does he have to go back to the same place for the MRI? Does that mean you have to stay all night, too? Well, I guess the 22nd can't come soon enough. The waiting is almost as hard as the rest of whatever goes with the diagnosis. (Been there, done that)

At least he can be having fun while you wait!

Hey Miz...did the guy explain why he thought your vet may have come to the conclusion she did about Boys spine???

I'm glad that part is good news, now if you can get down to the real nitty gritty. I pray that everything will be fine for him.

You've already been having some minor doubts about your vet, and I bet this is the big warning siren going off now. If you decide to find another one for him, I hope the searching comes easy for you.

Oh and get some sleep. I know right now its probably not easy w/ all that you have on your mind, but it will do you lots of good!!

Tammy, he'll have the MRI here in Houston (at a human facility), not at TAMU. They don't even have an MRI at TAMU! They were supposed to have one installed early this month but there's a hold up. Surprising they don't have one IMO.

Nicki, yes he did. There's something called "artifact". Hard to explain. The positioning was not correct either, so that throws everything off too. Lastly, my vet apparently doesn't know what a normal neck looks like in regards to the first two bones. He showed me normal, and Boy's is normal in all respects.

I will most definately be looking for a new vet! It's a shame my family doctor couldn't be the vet too! She's awesome.

My sleeping schedule is so incredibly screwed up lately. Some of it has to do with things on my mind, but alot of it has to do with pain. I've been trying to keep up on the house and it's hard on me. There's nothing to distract me from my pain when I'm lying there quietly trying to sleep. It sucks. You should see my nice clean kitchen though. It sparkles!

"Why can't I have such good odds when it comes to the great things in life?"

But you do Miztiki! You found Boyden!

Thanks for they sympathy about my Cap. I know

about disrupted sleep. I never got more than

45 minutes at a time at night the last six months with Cap. It wears you down but you just keep going on for the dog's sake.

Hopefully when they get it all figured out they can either fix or manage Boyden's problem and you can return to a relatively normal life. Best Wishes.

Hey Miz

I'd still be glad the x-rays were ok. You don't know what he's got, but you know it isn't that. Isn't that how all medicine works? They rule out what you don't have to figure out what you do.

With Mick and the last year of fighting Lymes and RMSF, sometimes I just didn't want to hear another thing about it. Nothing they told me was making him better, only worried me more.

The turned over foot test reminded me of something that happened with Mick.

We had not diagnosed the diseases yet and the holistic vet I took Mick to weekly (sometimes 2x's per week) was testing his reflexes all the time. The first couple times she flipped his foot over he was a bit slow to respond, then as the weeks drew on he got faster cause he knew the game. Then after so many tests he'd go 3 times with quick responses, then he'd just leave it flipped over.

I finally figured out that he thought we wanted him to leave it that way. Vet didn't believe it till we proved it by knowing exactly when he'd leave it that way.

He always does/did exactly what he thinks I want. Damn BC's :rolleyes:

Anyways...so glad to hear it's not what it was and praying that it's something easier to fix or manage.

I know you?re worried, but why don't you try to back off looking for things to be wrong and look for the things that are right. Won't help, but maybe you'll get a bit of sleep. You'll figure it out sooner or later, and worrying about it sure isn't helping.

Kristen

Actually I was intruiged to hear this. I remember looking at the email Xrays and thinking, Well, *I* don't think it looks that bad, but maybe it's just the email thing. I personally feel I really can't get a sense of it that well unless I can see and manipulate the film in person (I like to be able to move it and flip it over to look at backwards and so on) so I wasn't going to contradict someone who COULD see it. (If I have personally taken the film, I usually know if there's rotation to consider.) At the time I temporized by saying I'd seen way worse necks than that (which, apparently, I have) :rolleyes: ... so I'm actually relieved for two reasons: One, apparently he's not a wobbler, and two, apparently there wasn't some lesion there that totally went over my head. Some things are hard to see except in motion, anyway, or need special imaging before you're going to catch them. Not everything shows up on Xray.

I'll be curious to hear what the MRI shows. I'm assuming you'll take the films to the radiologists at TAMU for interpretation?

Miz, are they going to do a spinal tap if nothing shows up on the MRI? That's what was done for Minnie when she started having seizures. I think meningitis was mentioned as something to check for.

Mona, I am so sorry that you had to say your final goodbye to Cap. You were so blessed to have had one another in your lives.

They can interpret the films here in Houston.

No mention of a spinal tap. If the MRI shows nothing then we will have to stop, for a while at least. Called today and they said between $2000 and $2500 for the MRI. We've already spent a fortune recently on vet bills and can't afford more right now.