BC Boards

Whistle Question

Diana A

Thanks for this, will try it! (So far the YouTube thins I can find are all 4-finger.)

B.

You know, there might be....I guess there is a youtube for everything.

But maybe this might help.

Pull your lips back over your teeth, put your forefingers into the corners of your mounth, the fingers are almost touching, but play with the distance between them.

Think of how you blow air over a top of a bottle to make that foghorn sound.

You are blowing air, kinda over the top of that little hole you created with your fingers

Your tounge is just touching your fingers on either side but it is pulled back

The trick is practice, don't give up until you feel faint then rest for a bit.

Everyones mouth and tounge and stuff are different. Move things around a notch or two

After you can do that then try with one hand thumb and forefinger, although for some reason, that is much harder for me.

Good luck! Keep going!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tea, that's actually the best description of finger whistling I've ever read. I tried it, and even the meager sound I made got Nick's attention. When I try the dog whistle he looks at me like I'm insane. I really want to learn to whistle with my fingers... only problem in most of the time they're covered in many layers of ick!

I don't know how you did it, Ben. Maybe I'm misreading because I know Tea knows what she is talking about.

I'm assuming the lip position is either a Jack-Nicholson-in-some-scary-movie grin or else the lips are covering the teeth (see, I'm having interpretation problems from the get-go).

Then I put my forefingers into the corners of my mouth - but how do they almost touch? To do that, I have to open my jaw and have my fingers going across between my upper and lower jaw. That just doesn't seem right.

Can anyone draw me a picture?

Signed, Clueless Non-Whistler

PS - Maybe I should just sign it "Clueless"

You know, there might be....I guess there is a youtube for everything.

But maybe this might help.

Pull your lips back over your teeth, put your forefingers into the corners of your mounth, the fingers are almost touching, but play with the distance between them.

Think of how you blow air over a top of a bottle to make that foghorn sound.

You are blowing air, kinda over the top of that little hole you created with your fingers

Your tounge is just touching your fingers on either side but it is pulled back

The trick is practice, don't give up until you feel faint then rest for a bit.

Everyones mouth and tounge and stuff are different. Move things around a notch or two

After you can do that then try with one hand thumb and forefinger, although for some reason, that is much harder for me.

Good luck! Keep going!

That's the only description I've read that ever made any sense. I did get a noise somewhat like blowing in a bottle. I also got really light headed so I think I'll stick with my metal whistle so I don't pass out on the trial field!

Thanks for the description!

Renee

I couldn't whistle with my forefingers, but my pinkies worked. I got a bit light-headed, too. I figured I was trying to hard. Have to breath IN between whistles!

I am totally whistle incompetent, whether it's plastic, brass, whatever. Although I think I chipped my plastic whistle, which I'm sure doesn't help.

I did have a whistle lesson with Dan today and, Ben, he showed me how to do it with pinkies. I managed one sort of toot, and a couple later (okay, so maybe I was imagining those), and am determined to give it a try. Once you manage pinkies, you might be able to manage two fingers on one hand, which is good if you want to practice while driving the car or holding a crook...

I hope no one was wondering why Dan was sitting and I was spending so much time standing in front of him, staring into his mouth. The guy's so tall that I couldn't see anything if he was standing up while demonstrating.

Thanks, Dan, I hope I can manage to do this!

I found it. The article on how to blow a sheepdog whistle. Excellent reading. This is the one that actually taught me how to use a sheepdog whistle.

Sheepdog_Whistles.txt

I am glad that thing helped. However I learned one more thing.........

At home foraging the sheep loose tromping the woods alone with no eyes upon me but my amused horse and forgiving dogs. My whistles are larks and doves.

But......at a trial....with cold freezing hands........and.....er nervous grin and a wild pup at my feet. They might be vultures.

This is nuts, but I was practicing from the video Robin posted. Getting some little tiny bottle-blowing sounds, good progress. Then I read your post and thought, "Same hand, finger and thumb?' tried, it, and let out such a crazy loud whistle! Crazy! But can I repeat it? Now I am really determined...:rolleyes:

B.

Once you manage pinkies, you might be able to manage two fingers on one hand, which is good if you want to practice while driving the car or holding a crook...

My husband immediately covers his ears today when he sees my fingers heading towards my mouth. Success has been sporadic as some attempts will yield a loud, clear whistle (I'm definitely a one-noter right now but did get a little variation earlier today) but the majority of attempts yield nothing but light-headedness. But it's progress - I'm grateful to Dan and very excited!

My husband immediately covers his ears today when he sees my fingers heading towards my mouth. Success has been sporadic as some attempts will yield a loud, clear whistle (I'm definitely a one-noter right now but did get a little variation earlier today) but the majority of attempts yield nothing but light-headedness. But it's progress - I'm grateful to Dan and very excited!

Yay Sue. You did good! my first guinea pig on a new method (explanation) of how to finger whistle. You made a decent sound in a few tries.. I swear it was several hours of constant trying before I got out a squeak. keep at it.

Funny thing was the look of surprise on your face when you made the first sound!

Dan

I am so inconsistent that it's pathetic, but I just keep on trying a bit every now and then. Sometimes I shock myself with a lovely, clear, loud (ask my hubby) whistle and sometimes I futilely try over and over and get nothing.

I did have to modify one of Dan's instructions ever so slightly to "fit" my mouth and fingers, and I think a big part of it is trying out just what you are shown, and then making any slight changes that make it work better for you.

Dan is my hero!

Ok, so I watched the funny guy's video. I've been practicing - because obviously I want everyone to love me because I can finger whistle :rolleyes: . I keep feeling like something is about to happen... you know, like I might make a squeak or something? Oh but no. Nothing even vaguely resembling a whistle. Not even a peep. I have, however, almost managed to pass out several times.

I hear you, girl! Sunday was my golden day - some really nice, clear, loud, clean whistles. And it's been practically totally non-productive since. The dogs ignore completely because all I sound like is someone who can't breathe right. I am so down about this.

Try sticking your pinkies in your mouth (45 degree angle, up to the first joint) and keeping your tongue back out of the way, and blow air out. Now try sliding your tongue forward and under your pinkies until you hear a little whistling sound. You don't have to blow hard at all to do this, you shouldn't need to make yourself lightheaded. Play around more with your tongue position than your finger position.

Blow gently. You can also try lowering your hands so that your fingers are pointed more up than level. Do the above and when you get something that sounds a little more like a whistle than just air blowing, raise your hands to level out your fingers some and see what you get.

Seriously, i'm sitting here at my desk trying this and no one has come running to see what the whistling is.

Sounds like you're on the right track. Just try to get that vague whistle noise for a while, then close up the hole a bit and see if you don't get a little more shrillness to it.

When i'm actually whistling, my fingers don't touch my bottom teeth, my bottom lip is between my bottom teeth and fingers. My fingers do touch my top teeth, pretty hard, just past my fingernails. No cramming.

I like my sterling silver whistle. http://www.bordercollies.com/shopexd.asp?id=432

I can get very loud or soft tones from it. I always thought the sterling was a gimmick and could not fathom paying that much for a whistle. Then one day I was out moving cattle with Geri and did not have my whistle. I can use my fingers, but it was very cold and i was on an ATV. I borrowed Geri's sterling whistle( you have to be a good friend to lend a whistle :D ) and i was sold.

I do like using my fingers, but it is not practical on a horse or ATV. Knowing how to whistle with your fingers is handy when you are outside and some small job turns into a big job, or you are at a trial and your whistle clogs up( which happened to me in my finals run at the 2008 cow finals and it was so windy i was lucky i had my fingers)....or you get to the post to find when you took your sweat shirt off your whistle stayed with it..back at the trailer :rolleyes: !

Lana

I'll stick with my sheepdog whistle. Hanging on around my neck like some religious sign it's easy to use and always there. It can be heard by Jin upwind from me 300 yds away.

After much practice I don't even need to think about what whistles I need to send. Just put it in my mouth and "come" Dwon, go-way, come-bye and more and when I'm finished. My hands aren't cold and wet. :rolleyes::D

I am sitting here between two friends, trying out what Robin and Laura mention, and no one's ears are hearing anything but huffing and puffing. But I am bound and determined to get it. Right, ladies?

And, Lana, I have heard compliments about the silver whistles and really, last I checked, they weren't all that much more than brass. But I have to admit, I haven't priced one lately. It would make a nice necklace pendant as well...

OMG, I just made an actual whistle sound. This is one for the books, for real! Plus I didn't come even close to fainting. Now I can't do it again (that's what I get for taking my fingers out of my mouth to type). Let me wipe off my keyboard and try again.

My dogs might all get a new set of whistles. Just one tone, open for interpretation. Oh wait, that's sorta what they get already. :rolleyes: