BC Boards

No Dog Left Behind?

Cheyenne has been in a 10-week obedience class for the last eight weeks. At the class this Monday, the instructor talked about graduation and how our dogs will be tested. My first thought was, oh great, she's going to have to repeat the course because there is no way she'll graduate. She will stay, sit, and go down, but will not heel and would rather play than work. And as for "off leash" work...let's not go there. I figured she would at least get the perfect attendance award since I have been dutiful in getting her there every week even though it can be embarrassing at times.

Then, the instructor said that all dogs will get a diploma. My first thought: no dog left behind. :rolleyes:

I've been wondering about that with my DS's highschool. I think they have a no child left behind thing going on. Scary what I see getting ready to graduate. No dis on your dog not being ready...she hasn't been in class for 13 years and counting!

Then, the instructor said that all dogs will get a diploma. My first thought: no dog left behind. :D

Oddly enough, I will fail a human pupil in a heartbeat (much to my boss's chagrin) but no puppy is ever left behind in one of my dog classes :D Each puppy simply progresses at his own speed (or more accurately, at his and his person's speed).

The humans in my people classes however are expected to progress at my pace. Apparently many of them make it to my classes based on someone socially passing them below though :rolleyes:.

Of course, my puppies just get a bandana and a box of cookies ~ no diplomas...

Lisa

The humans in my people classes however are expected to progress at my pace. Apparently many of them make it to my classes based on someone socially passing them below though

Yes, and then when I get them as college freshmen where something like 70% test in with lower-than-college-level writing skills, and they tell me that they were in AP English in HS and got As...well, no wonder I have grey hair :rolleyes:,

A

So I can blame the grey hair on my kid? Cool!

At least he tests out at college level or higher...that is when I can get him to use his brain. Which he seems to be allergic to.

I think i was referring to the kids you guys are talking about. Just not all there. How did they get to the grade they are in with the smarts they show?? DS had a new friend over on halloween (thank doG she wasn't his girlfriend) and she sat there and told me she wouldn't mind going to school (highschool that is) but she thinks she should be paid to do it. I was just speechless! Even DS cracked a big grin on that comment!

Please don't give up on these winners we call our future. There are some good ones, but what the heck are we gonna do with the ones that think like this girl...I guess there will always be a need for people to do our dirty work. I just hope my son figures it out before he's all dirty!

Yes, and then when I get them as college freshmen where something like 70% test in with lower-than-college-level writing skills, and they tell me that they were in AP English in HS and got As...well, no wonder I have grey hair :D,

A

The frustrating thing is that I am at a community college so I seem to either get the ones that weren't ambitious enough to go to a four-year college or they went, partied too much, dropped out and wound up back at home. YAY! They also don't understand why I expect proper grammar and writing structure in my classes because my classes are horticulture classes not English classes :rolleyes:.

Bcnewe2,

Many of my students are very smart but totally lacking a work ethic and unmotivated. I'm not surprised by that girl's sentiments at all unfortunately.

Lisa

Cheyenne has been in a 10-week obedience class for the last eight weeks. At the class this Monday, the instructor talked about graduation and how our dogs will be tested. My first thought was, oh great, she's going to have to repeat the course because there is no way she'll graduate. She will stay, sit, and go down, but will not heel and would rather play than work. And as for "off leash" work...let's not go there. I figured she would at least get the perfect attendance award since I have been dutiful in getting her there every week even though it can be embarrassing at times.

Annie went through Puppy Kindergarten, then Family Dog Training, then Good Canine Citizen Training. After that, she went to Remedial Puppy Kindergarten, and then Reform School. She may not be the brightest Border Collie that God ever created, but I love her anyway...

Yes, and then when I get them as college freshmen where something like 70% test in with lower-than-college-level writing skills, and they tell me that they were in AP English in HS and got As...well, no wonder I have grey hair :rolleyes:,

A

Oh, I get 'em in 8th grade. Try to make my class a bit of a challenge - so kids actually have to complete all the work AND put in some serious study time if they want an "A." I want the "A" to mean they went way above and beyond the usual. (We've got rampant grade inflation going on, as most places do.)

So, little Tori gets a B+ from me and what is my punishment? I must deal with The Mother. The Mother writes an e-mail indicating that she thinks we need some sort of INTERVENTION. Tori has never gotten a grade below an "A" before! Clearly there's a problem with my class! Mine is the only class Tori doesn't feel confident in!

I'm thinking, "Well, she shouldn't feel that confident. She's an average kid. It should be shaky ground for her to strive for that 'A." If it weren't, that would mean she has never met any challenge in school."

Parents, if I could tell you one thing teachers wish you could know, it's this: YOUR CHILD NEEDS TO HAVE DIFFICULT EXPERIENCES IN ORDER TO GROW. You need to allow them to be cut from teams, earn low grades, not win the lead in the school play. Those experiences teach your child to raise the bar for herself, to learn the value of hard work and the grace of accepting the imperfection that sits in us all. Not allowing your child to have those experiences deprives her of the chance to become her fully mature, fully adult self, able to cope with the world.

Yeesh.

Mary

They also don't understand why I expect proper grammar and writing structure in my classes because my classes are horticulture classes not English classes :rolleyes:.

Err... You need English classes for horticulture these days? I would have expected Spanish, especially given your remarks about work ethic, or rather the lack thereof.

^^ That's got to be one of the most ignorant remarks I've ever seen/heard. Sheesh,

A