BC Boards

More women handlers - is it changing the border collie?

Tommy Coyote

• 2 weeks later...

I have always been one to pick the softer dog (and i am female), my first girl i picked because of her colour but also because she was the little one sitting at the back. I picked the softer at the time because my training was not where i could cope with a hard dog. Since I have learnt a wealth of information my next puppy i wanted something harder. I wanted a challenged, i wanted to be pushed and to be able to push back. And so came Echo. My little ball of hellishly naughtiness all wrapped up in a cute white fluffy exterior that only means people get sucked in faster.

I do see the argument but i do believe that it depends of what the dog is being used for. Also with past experiences. I got a soft dog first because i grew up with soft submissive dogs. But my agility and training side called for something slightly more, well.... challenging. I do believe because of where i grew up also that men would tend for a harder looking and harder in attitude dog though. And the women would prefer the little fluffy type. Saying this i have seen ALOT lately of big hard looking men with cute little clipped "maltesers" as i like to call them and women with bull mastiffs.