BC Boards

To Halti or not to Halti?

Hi guys,

I was told that I should get a Halti for Chaos and his pulling on lead problems - I see there is a new harness halti - and then there is the Halti over the mouth? Which one or does anyone have any other better options?

I was told that I should get a Halti for Chaos and his pulling on lead problems - I see there is a new harness halti - and then there is the Halti over the mouth? Which one or does anyone have any other better options?

From my experience, the front clip harness (I used the easy walker) is a good help in solving leash pulling. Some dogs may accept the halti (muzzle version), but many dogs hate it with a passion.

The halti harness worked great for Holly when she was younger. We used the training lead that fits on the front chest part and on also on the back. Sometimes we unclipped the front part and just used it like a normal harness clipped on the back. The lead is multifunctional as well, we still use that type of lead for them both now on normal harnesses. You get a long or short lead choice then which is great as i am not fond of the extendable leads.

I would definately reccomend trying the harness.

I have both the Easy Walker chest harness andan Easy Leader halter Jin likes the harness since I can attach a lead to the top on his back or on his chest. I'm also not afraid that I;m going to hurt him if I inadvertantly give it a hard yank or pull as happens sometimes when he gets reactive. OTOH He hates the halter. He'll let my put it on and will co-operate while wearing it but he makes sure that I know he disapproves of it. I also don't like the fact if you pull on it very hard or yank it you can snap the dogs head around. Frankly I think a halter's OK for a horse.

I'd try a front clip harness - like Easy Walk - before trying the head halter. In fact, that was my choice when I needed something for Dean and it worked out perfectly. He loved the harness and it solved the problem instantly.

We tried both the nose and chest harness. The chest harness worked great for Jax. The only problem is we can transition to the regular collar when walking. He walks great with the harness and terrible with the lead to his collar. When you solve that problem, let me know. I fully recommend the chest harness.

He walks great with the harness and terrible with the lead to his collar. When you solve that problem, let me know.

Honestly, Dean just seemed to figure it out over time. I didn't really transition him back to the collar in any particular way. For a while, I would know right away if I needed the harness for him and didn't have it because he pulled like crazy. After a while I noticed that he very rarely pulled anymore. There has to be something major - like the ocean - that he's trying to get to now for him to really start pulling.

I did play a tiny bit of be a tree with him, which is what I do now if there is soemthing major - like the ocean - that he's trying to get to that causes him to pull and he needs a reminder, but not much to speak of. I think he just got in the habit of not pulling from the harness and it pretty much stuck.

Can't say that would happen with all dogs, of course, but it definitely did with him.

The one i thought you meant by Halti was this one.....

http://www.companyofanimals.co.uk/halti-harness.php

This is the one i used. :rolleyes:

I saw that one too? Hmmmm, how confusing.....they seem to work the same way though.....?

We used the Premier one that you posted the picture of. It is a little pricey, but it was very much worth it.

haha, well it's already ordered!! R205.00 is quite expensive for what seems like a piece of material but he needs it so.......everything I try to get to South Africa is expensive! Amazon wanted to charge me $68.00 just for postage of three items, two books and a halti - I just about died when I saw the price so I found a local website that sources and I got it from them!

- The Cautious Canine for his behavioural issues, Fido the zombie movie that looks like I will laugh more than be scared and then the Halti......what a mix.

Finding agility equipment is the worst here, for the agility enthausiast you just about have to be a millionare to get anywhere down here! I have two jumps ( a friend made for me ) and weave pole ( Borrowing from a friend ) I am determined!!!! I can't afford anything else right now though.....

haha, well it's already ordered!!

That's the one I use on Senneca. Take the time to adjust it properly ( the booklet tells you how). In the beginning, I had to readjust it all the time; partly because the fabric was new and partly because, well Senneca was really pulling. Now I find the fabric has "set" into place and, I guess Senneca has calmed down a bit, so no further adjustments are necessary. I think that letting the harness get wet (while the dog is wearing it) also helped.

Hi guys,

For a minute I thought I was looking at Robin -- then I realized no gold eyebrows. Your dog is wonderful!

On the recommendation of folks on this board, I got an easy walk for Robin, who was a world class puller. He transitioned easily to walking nicely on a six foot lead, but I've just ordered the next size bigger (they were on sale at PETCO online for 12 bucks) for working on the long line in the field where he tends to forget his manners.

If you do order an easy walk, be sure to measure the girth of your dog. They say that a medium fits a Border Collie, but it really depends on the size of the Border Collie. Robin has a 26" girth so I ordered him the medium/large.

Liz