BC Boards

Eye Tests

storminthenight

I have been thinking of adding another border collie to the family next year, and have been doing a little research for what health testing the parents should have. I know about the hips, but I'm a bit confused about the eyes.

I've seen dogs tested for CEA (Optigen) and CERF, should a dog have one or both? and what is the main difference between them?

Thanks

Storm

CEA blood tests only give the status of that genetic marker (clear, carrier, affected). CERF is an ophthalmological exam which gives the clinical status of the eyes for many possible diseases and injury related effects. CERF exams may find CEA affected dogs but not likely the "go normals"; CEA affected dogs (genetic status) with very mild clinical symptoms of the genetic disease. CERF exams cannot determine the CEA status clear or carrier.

Currently, the only genetic eye disease in Border Collies is CEA. Personally, I would want to know that a pup I'm about to buy is unlikely to be CEA affected; this means at least one of the parents should have the genetic status of CEA clear which can only be determined by the genetic test.

The ABCA has put together this information: Health and Genetics of Border Collies - A Breeder and Buyer's Guide 2002

Mark

Currently, the only genetic eye disease in Border Collies is CEA.

What about PRA? I know of a couple of border collies from a few years ago (came from the same situation; assuming they were related) that had PRA, which is genetic.

According to Dr. Gregory M. Acland there are very few if any pure bred Border Collies in North America with PRA. All of the Border Collies he has examined that had been diagnosed with PRA, according to him, were misdiagnosed and probably have focal/multifocal retinal degeneration.

Despite the persisting impression that this genetic disease is prevalent in the breed, extensive investigation has shown the incidence of PRA in Border Collies in North America to be extremely low to non existent. Therefore, the ABCA does not currently consider it a major health concern.

Source: ABCA Health and Genetics of Border Collies - A Breeder and Buyer's Guide 2002

Dr. Acland would be very interested in examining any Border Collie that has been diagnosed with PRA; he is looking for examples in the breed.

Mark

If you can, it's nice to have both.

That said, if the puppy is intended as a non-breeding pet, a CERF alone would be fine. The CERF, done before 12 weeks, will show if the puppy has active CEA as well as most other early onset genetic diseases of the eye. There are problems that are not genetic they look for as well - malformations of the pupil for example.

Cost is a big issue to look at. If you find a pup or dog you want (perhaps from Rescue) then you can make sure that dog is clinically eye sound for typically about $45 with a CERF. The CEA-dna test is much higher, and frankly genetic carrier status of a non-breeding pet is irrelevant to you.

you *can* do the CERF exam after 12 weeks, but there is a possibility that that dog has a low grade from of CEA that can't be seen after the eye is mature. Again though, since this is unlikely to affect vision or quality of life for a *non-breeding pet* there is really no reason to test further.

I'm not excusing breeders from checking their breeding stock with dna-cea testing - they should be doing that. I'm just presenting you some options if you elect to adopt a puppy without a good breeder to represent them, OR if you elect to buy a pup from one of the many working breeders who don't bother for various reasons.