BC Boards

Male or Female Pup...

Well, I've pretty much decided I will be bringing a new pup home this summer - I can't wait! Anyways, I was wondering whether a male or female would be better suited for our home. We have an almost 5 year female BC who can be a little snarky if a dog gets too into her face (just shows her teeth, has never attacked or bitten another dog), a female kitty, a bird, and I have a 11 year old brother. I have heard numerous things from males are normally more laid back and better with other dogs, to females dislike male border collies, and it is better to have two females. I'm not sure which is true, or if either are. What are your experiences and suggestions for my position?

My vet and any number of experienced dog owners and trainers have told me that the chances of there being serious aggression are highest in female/female pairs. It even has a name, inter bitch aggression. It's not a hard and fast rule, but my vet told me the worst bites he's seen are from one female to another.

I've experienced it some with my 2 girls, enough that I definitely won't get 2 females so close in age again, and may do female/male altogether.

My boy was certainly cuddlier than either of the girls, and much more outgoing.

Ruth

When we were looking for a second rescue dog, we were advised to get a male (neutered, of course) as the best potential fit with our neutered female, who had been with us for two years. They were indeed great pals after an adjustment period. When we lost him, we put in for a male puppy -- and got two, something I wouldn't ordinarily done if I'd been in my right mind and thought it through more carefully. I wouldn't trade them for the world now, but two same sex siblings has its challenges and having three dogs is like having three kids - the work increases exponentially.

You might actually have more problems in a dog- cat adjustment, but if the cat is dog wary, then that should be okay. Tiger Lily messes with Robin's mind and runs from Brodie.

The rescue person we got him from said, "Scotty is middle management and he needs someone to explain that to him." Ladybug was the gal to do it.

Scotty was a big, four year old neutered male. Ladybug was six, and half his size but when he made the mistake of sniffing her butt and she just exploded at him for about 30 seconds, he got the message about his level. He wasn't physically hurt, but he literally sat down and cried when she was through with him. After that, they were wary around each other for a few months and she let him know a few other times, but never as seriously, that she was in charge and that he needed her permission to breathe. Once that was settled, they became wonderful pals and she was very upset and shaken when he died.

Ladybug was eight years old this summer and we thought that there was a possibility that she might not take to the pups, though we knew she'd had at least one litter before she came to us at age four. She surprised us again by really taking a genuine interest and devotion to the little tubby critters, picking up as a "Nanny" right where their mother left off - washing their faces, disciplining them by breaking up squabbles when they needed it, playing with them. She's let them know in gentle ways that she's in charge. They don't touch her ball, but she's never curled a lip at either one of them and they all companionably share Ken's recliner with him -- a feat that needs to be properly photographed...Brodie, the smallest is curled up on the headrest, practically around Ken's neck, Ladybug is on his lap, her throne, and Robin is on the footrest, his designated spot as he tends to jump on and off a great deal trading toys, while the other two are hunkered down for the evening. They're a silly bunch but they - and the cat - all live together in a reasonably peaceable kingdom.

Liz

I have dealt with male vs. male fights. They will usually break it up when I would yell. When I used to have two intact bitches the fights were horrible. They would lock on each others throats. It would take two people to separate them. I still have one of those bitches and she has since been spayed. But, her and her daughter will get into fights every so often. They aren't as serious as when I had two intact bitches fighting. But, they will still fight if one of them pushes too much. The younger one, who is the daughter, is still intact. Now, I have never really had a fight between a male and a female. If they are both altered I would speculate that they would get along much better.

There is a saying that bitches will be bitches in regards to them fighting.

I would recommend a male to you.

Kathy

Fly pretty much raised Jett, and the two of them played all the time until Jett was about 14 or 16 months old, after which they basically stopped playing altogether. Jett went through two heats and became aggressive toward Fly each time, extremely aggressive the second time, tackling Fly and latching on and not letting to no matter what you did short of physically removing her. She would leave punctures on Fly, always on Fly's underside since Fly didn't fight back at all and indeed flipped right onto her back every time an attack occurred. Fly's been spayed since before Jett came home.

Once her heats were over Jett stopped attacking Fly but did not make friends with her again. I spayed Jett in September, probably a week or two before she was about to go into heat again and just a month shy of her second birthday. Within a couple of weeks she was playing with Fly again and they are now just as friendly with each other as they were before their relationship began to go sour. I don't know if this experience is typical, but in our case spaying seems to have significantly improved the relationship between two female dogs -- well, that and the fact that Fly is endlessly forgiving.

As for the OP, I think with two dogs it's best to have two of the opposite sex. When people have multiples it seems like it usually works best when there are multiple dogs and not multiple bitches, at least if you want everyone to be buddies, but there are no guarantees.

I asked the very same question a few months ago and

the advice I got was right on. While looking for a second

dog to go with my dominant, sometimes snarky, 3 y.o.

female, the general consensus was a submissive type

male. We found a young pup, actually younger than I

was looking for at the time, and he has worked out just

fine with her. They hit it off well right off the bat, other

than one huge screaming fight when he tried to take her

rawhide once. She set him straight, and I don't give them

"special" treats together anymore. Learning experience

for both of us.

He has actually seemed to calm her down a bit with her

guarding issues that she had when we first got her. I would

have never guessed that that he would be able to take toys

and less valuable possessions right out from under her. It

turns into a big game, all the time. He kind of has that "little

brother" way about him, always having to be close and

touching her like he's tormenting her, it's hilarious. "Dad, he's

touching me again!" kind of thing.

She is still very possessive with her things when she's around

my parent's female, so I don't think I would ever add another

female to our mix.

Mike

I'm not sure which is true, or if either are. What are your experiences and suggestions for my position?

I wouldn't let the sex of the pup determine your pick. Pick the pup "you" like, you will have to live with it for a long time. Anything over 1 dog requires management.

In my experience when you get a new dog you always want to get the opposite gender that you have now. When I worked at the shelter that was one of my questions to people adopting. I only had one dog come back because it didn't get along with their dog. So I think you should really consider a male if you want the best chance at them getting along.

In my experience when you get a new dog you always want to get the opposite gender that you have now.

For me, I have one of each, so when getting my third, none of this applied :rolleyes: My newest pup is a female, but what helped was that my current female is really good with any other dog she's been around. This is my first female puppy though, so far she's been great!

Not to imply my experience is the norm but my males have been a lot more aggressive than my females. All 4 of my females have gotten along with my other pets. Neither of my males did. The females were better with people too. We bought a male years ago because they would supposedly get along better and that backfired big time. I currently have a 14 year old female boston and two female BC pups and they all get along great so far. Female is the only way to go imo, unless you plan to breed.

In my many years of owning dogs I have always had 3 spayed females. Never had a problem, they have always been fantastic together. My older bitches have always welcomed new female puppies into the fold and have been great puppy minders!. The 3 I have currently are 9, 2 1/2 and 2 and they get on fabulously together.

They are loyal, snuggly, loving and friendly girls. My mum has 2 females and when I stay with her all 5 get on great. I have never experienced a bitch fight and my whole family has always had females for many years. I am about to get a 4th dog and first ever male pup, so I will see how he goes among the girls!

The only time we had males was when my sister rescued to sibling male pups together that were not long for this world. There were some very nasty fights as they struggled for dominance. It is all sorted now and they get on great, but there were a few scars along the way.