BC Boards

Jackson's lesson!

Well, we had another lesson today. Last week and today we practiced doing a beg-novice trial. Carol Anne set up cones to do a drive through. Then we had to make a sharp rt. and go between a bucket and the fence corner. Then straight to the next corner and at one point keep the sheep between the light post and fence. (about 4') Then down the fence line and through a panel and the fence. Make the next corner and stay inside the cone. Ditto next corner. Then straight up to the pen. Last week, Jackson was just a wild boy! He was driving me nuts! I wondered several times if my aim was good enough to use my stock stick for a javilin! However, today, he did so good! We went through it two times and then the 3rd time, Carol Anne's daddy, who is helping her with some fencing, Hubert Bailey, came up and wanted to watch us! He said he would be a "judge"! Oh, Lord! I was so honored, and scared to death! He said, Now remember, I'm a tough judge! I said that's fine, just keep your eyes closed for half the course! Well, we did it! I was so proud of my boy!!!! Hubert said, well, I give the dog an A, and you a B! I said I'll take it! So, we had a great day! We will continue this practice till after the trial in GA at the end of this month. Then we will get to more advanced training since I will no longer be eligible for beg-novice! I am so happy with the control Jackson is learning. If nothing else, beg.-novice teaches the dog to get control of his movements and of the sheep.

We had a great day! Thanks for sharing it with us! WOW!

Thanks Joan! So good to hear from you! Hope all is well with you and yours! Hope Mike is staying out of trouble! Did his nose heal ok? BTW, have you heard anything on Cowboy?

We have our first real trial towards the end of July! I will be a wreck! LOL But I want to do it so bad!

Mike is fine. I had to take him in to remove a foxtail in his ear and had him neutered at the same time. He's back to normal..well normal for Mike.

Haven't heard anything about Cowboy. I hope he's doing well. She never posts on here and I've never heard from her how the dog is doing.

Good luck in your first trial! I am hoping to move soon out of so. Ca and into a better place where hopefully I can start trialing more. Too bad the East coast is so far from the west coast. I'd get to see you're first trial.

Linda, that's awesome! And good luck on your first trial! Which one are you going to?

Joan, I had a foxtail taken out of Zip's ear two weekends ago ... and then my friend who comes to my house to work her dogs all the time had to take her dog in for a foxtail in her dog's nose. Ugh! Those things are such a hassle. Glad Mike's ok.

Jodi

Waaaay to go Linda and Jackson.. As you know Phoenix and I are "very beginner", and I can feel your excitment. How long have you been working with Jackson, how often, how old is he? Sorry for all the questions, but like you told me some time ago in different words perhaps, watch out cause, when ya get bit by the herding bug, ya get bit hard!!! and I want to pick everyone's brain that knows more than me (and that's bout everybody!)

Since our first clinic, Phoenix has made such a major turn around in his aggressive attitude with people and dogs. He never ceases to amaze me. We actually went to local farmers market today and walked around. Not real close to people, but close enough that he would have been acting like a little black and white maniac before our clinic with Jack.

Anyway, congratulations to you and your boy Jackson!!! I am happy and excited for you both.

:rolleyes:

Jodi, it is in Hull GA it is a Georgia Stock Dog Assoc. trial.

Well, Sheryl, now I know where I saw the post! LOL

JoeAnne, Jackson is 18mos. I have just been working steady(sorta) since March. And yeah, they do change no matter how they were before when they start working with the sheep. I suppose it is the same with anything they start doing. But it seems Jackson is more "grown up". He seems more confident in his self. Not that he doesn't still act like a dork sometimes! Just something different about him. Hey, won't it be great if Jackson and Phoenix could run in a trial together?! It could happen!

Joan, where about are you planning to move? Gee, I wish you could be there too! But I will make DH take lots of pics to post! Unless it's one of me on my butt, the sheep on top of me, Jackson running in a mad circle around them, and me screaming, "THAT'LL DO, JACKSON, THAT'LL DO!"

:rolleyes::D

Joan, where about are you planning to move? Gee, I wish you could be there too! But I will make DH take lots of pics to post! Unless it's one of me on my butt, the sheep on top of me, Jackson running in a mad circle around them, and me screaming, "THAT'LL DO, JACKSON, THAT'LL DO!"
I'm probably going to move to Montana. Not as soon as I want to though. yes, take lots of pictures so you can post them on here. You'll do fine!