BC Boards

grazing an alfalfa field

sjones

I would like to extend my grazing for my sheep as long as possible. With the way the weather was we wern't able to get the alfalfa cut for the last time this year, so I was thinking about grazing the sheep on it. The weather has been cold, and frost has zapped the field several times now. So does anyone know if it would be safe to graze the sheep out there without worrying about bloat?

Samantha

I would like to extend my grazing for my sheep as long as possible. With the way the weather was we wern't able to get the alfalfa cut for the last time this year, so I was thinking about grazing the sheep on it. The weather has been cold, and frost has zapped the field several times now. So does anyone know if it would be safe to graze the sheep out there without worrying about bloat?

Samantha

Have a look and see if the leaves are wilted and if they are you should be safe to graze it. I would check every 15 minutes for an hour or so the first time they go out just to be sure and safe though.........Bob

PS......There was quite a discussion on this subject during the summer. You should be able to access that thread and read it....Bob

The leaves are wilted and mostly brown. Based on what everyone has said I should still be cautious when they go out there. Since I work all day, this won't be possible so I've decided to let them graze the alfalfa when I get home so I can keep an eye on them.

Thank you,

Samantha

Just dont take them off and then put them back on. Once there are on leave them to it. There is always risk, but if you have had good freeze and you fill them up before the move the risk is not high.

Lana

Lana's right. Putting them on and pulling them off is way more dangerous than just putting them on and leaving them. If the leaves are mostly brown, there's probably not much danger anyway. There's also not very much feed value left in it, either. If the sheep are dry ewes that are open or in early gestation in good flesh, you're probably fine. If you're expecting early January lambs, I wouldn't leave them on it much past Thanksgiving, and I'd watch them for body condition loss in either case.

Samantha, I don't know what your temps have been, but we have had lows in the 20s the past few weeks. Here is some alfalfa that was 3rd cut we did not take. The second one is alfalfa stubble, both pics taken with am frost. There is some brown, but still a bunch of good food. I would think it would take a lot to get it all brown, but we have also had all days well above freezing.

stubble2009nov002.jpg

stubble2009nov003.jpg

Lana

Lana, the alfalfa here looks less green than yours does. Temps this morning were in the low 20's and looking at the forcast tomorrow there could be some flurries.

Darn, I have no way to keep them out there and leave them. I've now run into another problem, not enough daylight. I have a limited amount of electro net and move that everyday. Now with having set clocks back my daylight that I have left doesn't last long enough for me to get all my fence moved and up for the next day. I guess they won't be going out there at all, but I will keep this information in mind for future reference though.

Samantha

• 3 weeks later...
Lana, the alfalfa here looks less green than yours does. Temps this morning were in the low 20's and looking at the forcast tomorrow there could be some flurries.

Darn, I have no way to keep them out there and leave them. I've now run into another problem, not enough daylight. I have a limited amount of electro net and move that everyday. Now with having set clocks back my daylight that I have left doesn't last long enough for me to get all my fence moved and up for the next day. I guess they won't be going out there at all, but I will keep this information in mind for future reference though.

Samantha

You can graze Alfalfa after one good frost. You need to add soap to the sheep's salt for a week before you put them on. Then fill them up in the morning and turn them out after lunch or early evening. DO NOT USE DOGS ON THEM. Keep your dogs at home once they are on the Alfalfa, unless they are well broke. Even if your sheep start falling over from bloat DO NOT MOVE THEM OFF THE ALFALFA. Leave them alone. You will make is much worse if you try to move them once they start bloating. We graze feeder lambs on Alfalfa fields most of the winter and it is always a risk, but the gains outweigh the risk. Once ewes have lambed you can graze them on all the Alfalfa you want, you cannot bloat them.

Good Luck,

Eric

"May the sheep be with you."

www.harlowshillswestcoast.com