BC Boards

Playing tug or war?

The beginning of the video is so cute. At the end though it looks like she was probably teasing him the whole time. I'll be interested to see what people say.

Looks like normal play to me. Remember that dogs aren't children and so "sharing toys" isn't a concept they understand. She was asking him to play at the start and was simply done playing at the end, and taking her toy with her. The video is too fuzzy to see what was going on when she barked, but it's possible his teeth landed on her instead of the toy (happens a lot when I play tug with my pup because he just doesn't realize where the toy ends and my fingers begin) and she let him know it hurt.

J.

100% agreement with Julie. I see that between Jin and Abby all the time. Jin want's to play so he offers a toy to whomever, dog, cat or person and when he's finished he just leaves.

Looks like very nice play to me. Peyton reminds me of our Megan - she wanted Jax to play and kept inviting him but, when she was done, she took her toy and "went home". All was very polite in dog behavior and quite subdued.

I should video Megan and Dan playing tug (and it was the same with Bute and Megan when Bute was still alive) - the level of tug play is "extremely rowdy" with lots of toy-shaking and pulling, and the noises are horrific, but it's all just a good time and no hard feelings happening.

And, like Peyton, when the princess is done playing, the game is over.

PS - Edited to add that some people do not approve of dog tug games, with other dogs or with people. I'm not one of those people.

I agree with everyone else. Looks like typical play.

Hmmm, looking at the video it all seemed so familiar to me. Gypsy the aussie on the floor, Chase on the sofa :rolleyes:

Ok, thanks. I think you guys are right, here's one that more clearly shows she wants him to grab on. I think this confirms it as just play even though Peyton is growling. The growling is not aggression, play just noise.

Your second video doesn't seem to be working.

I have to say that, with regards to "play growling", Megan and Dan (or, previously, Bute) make sounds that are positively horrifying - unless you realize that it's all play and all fun, like a couple of kids going "bang, you're dead" (at least kids in the good old days when I was growing up).

My dogs all know when it's play and when it's for real, no doubt about it. I can't hear the difference, but they know it or know it by context.

Ok, thanks. I think you guys are right, here's one that more clearly shows she wants him to grab on. I think this confirms it as just play even though Peyton is growling. The growling is not aggression, play just noise.

If growling during play was an indication of aggression, all our dogs would be considered dangerous killers. It often sounds like a war zone in our house when everyone gets going.

Way more worry than I think need be.

When my dogs are playing they sound like war of the worlds. If someone gets hurt, there's a correction by the one that's hurt and it's game over. But it might start again 5-10 minutes later.

You'll know if it's something to worry about. There's a huge difference.

We had a bitch brawl here last night. Not for one second did it seem like play, no one with any dog sence could ever be confused. You just haven't had the chance to witness the real thing so it's probably hard for you to imagine. I'd be counting my blessings for that!

I agree with the others, just looks like normal play to me! you should have seen Happy and Shadow when they got together for a game of tug! nobody won..the game would last about 10-15 minutes solid, would be all over the entire house, and by the end no matter what the toy it was in 5000 peices all over the floor, and the game only ended beacuse the peices they each had left were too small to continue!

I agree that in general once you see a real brawl, then the two cannot even be compared. I would not however say that that is always the case lol, my own Ladybug I have to very careful with, and the thought of ever leaving her in someone elses hands terrifies me. why? beacuse she will go from playing to fighting at the drop of a hat, and she looks and sounds EXACTLY the same either way, I cant tell anything has changed until the other dog is screaming. considering she is a lot larger and a lot more aggressive then the rest of my dogs? that is more then a little frightening!

My dogs all know when it's play and when it's for real, no doubt about it.

There's a pretty obvious change of tone when it goes from play to serious--usually when one dog has hurt the other (and usually just when the puppy is involved). When an older dog or two pups go from play to serious, the game ends and they back off.

Way more worry than I think need be.

Agreed.

J.

Totally looks like play to me, too. At the end, Peyton seemed like the game needed to be over with the sharp bark and then leaving. But up to that point, both dogs looked like they were having fun. Did you notice that sort of "ha!" or slight huffing sound they were making?. There was a recent study where the scientists stated that noise appeared to be the doggy equivalent of laughing. It's always struck me that way -- even before the research came out. :rolleyes:

I didn't watch, but from other responses, wanted to relate some things that happened with our pack once Buzz joined us.

One day, I heard awful growling and thumping sounds coming from Shoshone's airline crate. Running to the living room, I saw Buzz's butt hanging out the door, flashes of Shoshone's red and white fur turning over underneath him, and very loud growling, barking, humming. I grabbed Buzz by the hind legs and pulled him out of there.

Shoshone's little face popped out of the door, and she looked very puzzled. She looked at Buzz, looked at me and howled just a little, tail wagging like mad. It was very clear I had interrupted her fun! I let Buzz go, and this time, she was the one on top.

Buzz and Samantha used to take turns grabbing each other and dragging 'the kill' down the hallway, 'the kill's' head thumping against the wall. Same scenario as above, I interrupted once, let the two of them go, and they raced back to the hall, tussled a bit for supremacy, and partied on.

And, like Julie, I could tell the second one of them had had enough. There's a depth and intensity to a serious growl that just isn't in a play growl.

Ruth

I didn't watch, but from other responses, wanted to relate some things that happened with our pack once Buzz joined us.

One day, I heard awful growling and thumping sounds coming from Shoshone's airline crate. Running to the living room, I saw Buzz's butt hanging out the door, flashes of Shoshone's red and white fur turning over underneath him, and very loud growling, barking, humming. I grabbed Buzz by the hind legs and pulled him out of there.

Shoshone's little face popped out of the door, and she looked very puzzled. She looked at Buzz, looked at me and howled just a little, tail wagging like mad. It was very clear I had interrupted her fun! I let Buzz go, and this time, she was the one on top.

Buzz and Samantha used to take turns grabbing each other and dragging 'the kill' down the hallway, 'the kill's' head thumping against the wall. Same scenario as above, I interrupted once, let the two of them go, and they raced back to the hall, tussled a bit for supremacy, and partied on.

And, like Julie, I could tell the second one of them had had enough. There's a depth and intensity to a serious growl that just isn't in a play growl.

Ruth

Our two pups (littermates) have wrestled and tugged since they were, well, pups :rolleyes:. First their mother, then Ladybug, would break it up when they got too out of hand so they learned just how far to go. Even now, at six months, if they get a little rough and Ladybug is right there to remind them of their manners. They see her coming and they spit up going, what? who? us? They also play tug of war with just about anything they can get, and entice each other to "trade" whatever one has that the other doesn't. Robin will start prancing around with whatever he has, trying to attract Brodie's attention. He'll drop it, back off and when Brodie darts in for the swipe, Robin gets whatever Brodie had. Brodie, on the other hand prefers a more ninja-like approach. He just creeps up and lays beside Robin or Ladybug, then, when the victim isn't looking, eases away with whatever they had. Sometimes I think he makes them drop whatever they have just by staring so intently.

Liz