BC Boards

How many sheep do you usually train on?

Debbie Meier

Just thought I ask as to how many sheep each of you train on and what breeds are you using?

I've gotten lazy and typically split the flock in half when I'm working dogs, using anywhere between 15-20 at a time. Sometimes I use the entire flock, which ranges from 30-50 depending on the time of year. There is a mix of ewes, lambs and a ram. If I'm working young dogs I sort the ram and the ewes with younger lambs out and don't use them. The more experienced dogs get what ever is available at the time.

The other day I sorted a group of 4 off just for Jake, I wanted to do a quick check on where he was before our next trial (arena trial using the Denver Stock Show course).

I'm using a mixed bag of sheep, we have some Moulfons, Barbados, Katahdins & Dorpers and cross breds of the 4 breeds. I can change the way they respond to the dog by selecting all of one breed or mix and matching different individuals. We can go from really light to heavy and challenging. The only thing I can't reproduce is undogged, though I keep a group of rams out with the horses that get handled by the dogs very rarely.

Just thought I ask as to how many sheep each of you train on and what breeds are you using?

I typically train Jet on 3-5 sheep at a time, to help her develop some eye. Sometimes I work the entire 10-20 depending on what I have and she gets to sort them and work the entire group a little anyways at the beginning.

I've developed this small flock for the last 8 years and have two distinct groups that really descend from two unrelated ewes. I have a DorperXBarb ewe that is very light (she'll bolt if she thinks she can, but if the dog keeps on top of her, she'll settle) and a DorperXKathadin ewe that is very gentle and calm. I've used Kathadin rams mostly, with the exception of last year when I used a DorperX ram. I've found the descendents of my very light ewe stay fresh and light for many years and work well in the desert- that is we can take a small group out and work 3-4 dogs on them without stressing them (they tend to be very fit as well). The DorperXKathadins are sweet and practically come out dog broke- I use them as puppy sheep and lesson sheep (especially for non-border collies). I can also add one of these sheep as an anchor if I'm taking sheep to the desert for the first time or have an inexperienced dog to work out in the open, but taking a group of them out to the desert is torture for everyone- give them some sand and brush and they will plod and make the dogs work right on top of them. I kept back 4 lambs this year for Jet and we will start taking them out to the desert alone in a month or so.

I usually train on 6-10 because that is what i shed off the flock; I will work on the entire 250 occassionally depending on what i want to teach.

For the young one with lots of eye we've been working on at least 100 to free her up some.

But about a week before a trial i try to take off 3-5 so my dog remembers manners on a small group.

We have dorpers X and woolX with some PB Dorsets thrown in; I don't use the PB Dorsets by them selves unless i'm going somewhere with big dopey sheep that like to fight

cynthia

We have some fairly wild Katahdin/St. Croix yearling ewe lambs and 3 ewes and a docile ram. Should we split this group up? We have Aussies who are also wild; not a good combo. Should we use the round pen (90 ft diameter); 60 ft diameter or one acre field to train?

If your dog is wild, you need good calm sheep. You really should take video of your dogs working, and then better advice can be given. I would say that unless and until you have your dog going around both ways, laying down (or stopping) when told, and calling off, and NO drive byes, then you should stay in a round pen.

We have some fairly wild Katahdin/St. Croix yearling ewe lambs and 3 ewes and a docile ram. Should we split this group up? We have Aussies who are also wild; not a good combo. Should we use the round pen (90 ft diameter); 60 ft diameter or one acre field to train?

Narita,

Do you have a livestock operation for which you actually need the help of dogs or do you just want to train dogs to work so you can trial? I ask this because it seems as if you're stuck in an endless cycle of not knowing what to do with the sheep and dog(s) you have (how to train) and not having the means (time or money) of getting outside help with training. If working dogs aren't essential to your operation then maybe you should consider that right now trying to train your dogs to work sheep just isn't feasible and pursue something else with them until such a time as you can afford to go to a trainer and do it right. I'm not trying to be ugly here, but it seems like your options are very limited and I can't see how you our your dogs (or the sheep, for that matter) can benefit from the situation as it is now. It must be very frustrating for all of you, but I don't think anyone on this forum can really help from a distance.

J.

We try to mix it up so the dogs have experience with small (3-4) and larger (30+) groups.

We currently have katahdins and romney x border leicesters.

Mark

That's a good way to do things Mark and I really like the idea of Katahdins and Border Leicester x Romney. Talk about a large spectrum. Good way to go........Bob

Bob,

When we decided to add wool sheep to our flock we wanted ones that would be significantly different than the katahdins. The romneys add another dimension to the handling (for us and the dogs) due to the wool on their faces compared to clean faced sheep. Unfortunately, we may end up getting rid of our wool sheep for a while, our new property is loaded with cockleburs and all their fleeces are a mess.

Mark