BC Boards

Knuckle bones

Hi,

Just wondering on thoughts about white knuckle bones, i bought one today and my dog has been on it almost all day! he loves it! also is redbarn a reputable company to purchase these things from (ie. knuckles, bully sticks etc)

Thanks!

Hi,

Just wondering on thoughts about white knuckle bones, i bought one today and my dog has been on it almost all day! he loves it! also is redbarn a reputable company to purchase these things from (ie. knuckles, bully sticks etc)

Thanks!

Why not just get him a knuckle bone from the grocery store or butcher shop? I looked up the knuckle bone on the Redbarn website. It said it was a meat-by-product, which to me just means I'm not sure what you're getting.

I don't know about "white" knuckle bones, but I like USbones.com . The quality is great, and their knuckle bones and bully sticks seem to be bigger than those I've seen from other companies. The prices are great too. On top of that, you can also pick the rescue of your choice (so long as they've registered with the site) to receive a donation equal to 25% of your order.

Check out your local supermarket. My Kroger (and I do admit I know one of the butchers) gets in 50# boxes of frozen knuckle/cannon bones that they sell for $1 a pound (in any amount). They will also cut them into three-inch lengths for me since, with marrow inside and some scraps of fat attached, I don't like to feed bigger pieces to avoid digestive upset. Plus, the smaller pieces mean fresh bones more frequently, and better utilization of the marrow.

We have our own bones most of the time and so I don't use this option all the time, but it is cheaper than sterilized bones, provides some nutrition (fat and cartilage), and keeps the dogs very happy. I feed them frozen in warm weather for a cool treat.

Be forewarned, though, that very hard chewers and dogs with tooth issues may have problems with such hard, weight-bearing bones - cracked teeth are a possibility, although I have not experienced that myself in years of feeding hard bones.

I rent space from a butcher, and he never has bones... unless I want to buy a 25# box. I don't feed raw I just want meaty bones for good teeth so a box that size would be freezer burnt before we were finished. We do get the occasional lamb bone. So I went looking and found this site raw bones

edited to add: he gets asked all the time for bones and just never has them, nor do our local supermarkets. Our cows tend to come in plastic without bones :rolleyes:

Ask your grocer if he could order you in some knuckle bones, he should be able to, people use them to make beef stock all the time. It would be cheaper than ordering them online