BC Boards

Border-doodles.......

KathyF

I am not happy to find out this morning that someone right here in Minnesota is breeding border-doodles. I find this horrible in the first place and then I found out that she is charging $2000 per puppy! I am at a loss for words.

Kathy

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not quite. The candy colours were $2000, boring old b/w were only $1250. Still a lot money for a mongrel.

Yeah, but I see regular colored Golden Doodles selling for up to $3000. Just depends on how much money you want to milk from the suckers. Heck, I could even get myself a homozygous merle stud and have entire litters of merle pups. Doesn't matter if he is blind and deaf as long as he can produce puppies.

While I was being sarcastic, I have heard of Collie breeders with purposefully produced homozygous merles (their web pages are sad/scary). Their sole purpose was to sire litters with 100% merle pups. :rolleyes:

I've had a borderdoodle come to a playgroup - he looks like any other poodle cross and acts very unlike a BC - if they hadn't told me what he was, I'd have assumed he was a labradoodle or maybe lab/terrier since his coat was wirey.

I've had a borderdoodle come to a playgroup - he looks like any other poodle cross and acts very unlike a BC - if they hadn't told me what he was, I'd have assumed he was a labradoodle or maybe lab/terrier since his coat was wirey.

The few Border Doodles I have met look like PWDs. Personality wise they were more poodle like.

BordoodleLola7Months2.JPG

2592694861_01342792e0.jpg

_Casey-Jaz-Biscuit2.jpg

The tall one is the "Bordoodle"

:rolleyes::(:D:(

ETA:

And along the lines of Doodles, the weirdest looking Labradoodle (dog??) I've ever seen:

3930719138_9b07e6ea2d.jpg

First two aren't bad. The last two look like they've been hit with an ugly stick. All are bad if they were sold for thousands of $$.

BordoodleLola7Months2.JPG

2592694861_01342792e0.jpg

_Casey-Jaz-Biscuit2.jpg

The tall one is the "Bordoodle"

:rolleyes::(:D:(

ETA:

And along the lines of Doodles, the weirdest looking Labradoodle (dog??) I've ever seen:

3930719138_9b07e6ea2d.jpg

Want some ugly doddle? I give you Tanguay - a gigantic gray goldendoodle with a nasty personality

3223224391_be50bf4f43.jpg

This thing is HUGE - it makes Ouzo wonder if it's a bear cub or what?

3375622779_9223a05e0f.jpg

3297524331_5629286569.jpg

3298342964_50a75480d0.jpg

3297310843_030e199e31.jpg

He is the strangest looking doodle I've ever seen. Have I mentioned he's got a nasty personality when it comes to other dogs, too?

He is the strangest looking doodle I've ever seen. Have I mentioned he's got a nasty personality when it comes to other dogs, too?

I don't know if it is inherent in -doodle mixes or due to the cluelessness of people who buy (but never train) them, but almost all -doodles I have met are socially inept or just plain nasty.

The labradoodle I posted is not only poorly behaved but has one of the most annoying owners ever. At the dog park, she was asking this guy that she'd never met to throw the ball for her dog.

Generally, I don't like doodles (specifically labradoodles, but maybe that's because of my EXTREME dislike of labs) but I met a golden doodle once that was just a wonderful dog, had a very sweet personality and very well behaved.

DR, the reason you couldn't find any photos, is because the "correct" name for this mix is a BORDOODLE, not a borderdoodle.

I can't think of one "doodle" that I have met and liked. They have all been big obnoxious oafs. I am SURE it's because most of the type of people who would BUY a doodle, are NOT the type of people interested in teaching their dogs good manners. Doodles are "hypoallergenic" -- doesn't that mean they also come pre-trained? :rolleyes:

Personally I don't really think most doodle mixes are very cute, but I am not really a fan of dogs with long fur on their muzzles. Out of the borderdoodles pictured above, the one that is marked like a border collie is pretty cute though. I have a friend with a BC who has a curly coat, we tease him and call him a borderdoodle!

I've met exactly one 'doodle' of any type, and he was not an unreasonable dog - well behaved and polite, from what I observed. Of course, he was running with a young-ish couple whom seem to have an abundance of energy and smarts, so he may've simply been well-trained and socialized.

When 'doodles' of any type are going for more $$ than well-bred and genuinely rare pure-breds with proven backgrounds, good dispositions, and the lifetime support of their breeder... Something has gone seriously wrong with the general puppy-buying public.

OK Found a pic. 3180875736_9dab501b9e.jpg

"This is a Bordoodle" sez you cringing.

"Find me the original breeder of these dogs", sez I, sharpening knives.

I've seen labradoodles. I don't like them and I don't like they way they feel. Now a BC with poodles coat, disgusting. Who would want to take care of that coat, it looks like a nightmare.

So if we cross a poodle with a bear do we get a pooh bear?

Some years back a PWD breeder I knew through rec.pets.dogs (some of you may, vaguely, remember Usenet) had an "oops" litter that was sired while she was caring for a friend's intact male Border Collie. By certain standards it was actually a pretty good breeding -- the Border Collie was a high-level obedience dog (show/obedience breeding) and the PWD was an agility dog and show champion. The pups went mostly to sport homes and many years later I randomly met one at an agility match. He looked exactly like a working Beardie, which I suppose will only mean something to those of you who have seen working Beardies, which I bet is not many.

As for retriever/Poodle crosses, they're not my type of dog but I understand exactly why they exist. It isn't because they turn out cute, because they don't -- they usually just look like really, really ugly Poodles. And most of the people who buy them would be better off with Poodles, which is something I don't say lightly because I literally have never met a Standard Poodle that I liked. (They are pushy, horrible, obnoxious dogs with five foot vertical leaps.)

But the thing is, Poodles are considered feminine, and foofy, and uncool, and kind of Euro, and just not very manly. So, you add a little bit of nice, sweaty, armpit-scratching, manly, ball-playing Lab or Golden, and voila -- you now have a socially acceptable dog that a man can walk without feeling like he needs to wear a beret and carry a long loaf of bread. Basically, as far as I can tell, the driving force behind the market for -doodles is the fact that so many men out there are simply not secure in their own masculinity.

But whatever. I don't know that breeding -doodles is any worse than any other kind of shitty misbreeding.

I sent a picture to DW.

It looks like an overgrown King Charles Spaniel. The nose is too short and I don't like the coat. Whose ever idea this was, should stop thinking they're Mr. Wizard and go back to sitting in the corner and picking lint out of their navel.

1) Who cares? Really, they're not Border Collies anymore. Won't be registered as Border Collies. If someone wants a Bordoodle for some reason known only to themselves, and is willing to pay big money for one, who am I to tell them they're idiots?

2) Every breed was a mutt once upon a time. Border Collies did not spring into being on the sixth day of creation. Someone took some of this and some of that, made a mutt, inbred the mutt, bred it to something else, linebred that a bit and voila - the Border Collie which is defined functionally rather than visually (in our world at least) but one of reasons the AKC kept the Border Collie out for such a long time, was that they considered their diversity of form, coat, colouring, and markings as proof that they were mutts (then they realized that there were a lot of them and they were cleaning up in agility and obedience and decided that they might be purebred dog$ after all).

It's all very well to get all self-righteous about people creating novel mixes or "breeds" but it's pointless in the end. Better conserve your energy for improving and defending the one we've got.

Pearse

Not to sidetrack too much....but our lovely little free ad paper recently advertised: CHIWEENIES. Yes, Chihuahua and Dachsund mixes. "Parents purebred. No papers." I wasn't sure (like I cared...) whether that meant that neither the Chi nor the Dach had papers, or if just the puppies had no papers! Yikes. Can't remember the cost - but it was definitely in the three digits. Four digits here just wouldn't sell...thank goodness, I guess.

I know two accidentally-bred PWD and BC mixes. Both are very very good at agility - then again, both belong to very experienced agility trainers.....

diane

But the thing is, Poodles are considered feminine, and foofy, and uncool, and kind of Euro, and just not very manly. So, you add a little bit of nice, sweaty, armpit-scratching, manly, ball-playing Lab or Golden, and voila -- you now have a socially acceptable dog that a man can walk without feeling like he needs to wear a beret and carry a long loaf of bread. Basically, as far as I can tell, the driving force behind the market for -doodles is the fact that so many men out there are simply not secure in their own masculinity.

Um, Melanie, I see where you are going here... but please explain to me how the word "-doodle" sounds manly :rolleyes: