BC Boards

Another reason to hate the AKC

I got my dog microchipped when I got her at the age of 6 mos. This was on 3/25/09. When I got the chip the paperwork that the vet gave me was for the AKC/CAR ID System I filled it out, sent it in and paid the fee of $19.95 plus an additional $5.00 for a stainless steel tag.

The tag came in the mail, I put it on my dog’s collar and relaxed, knowing that if, heaven forbid, my dog got lost she had a good chance of being returned to me by the miracle of microchip technology.

Today I was perusing the BC Boards and came upon a thread about the split between “Home Again” and the AKC. A little rodent of worry began to gnaw the inside of my head. So I did some Internet research which yielded the information that this split took place in 2005. Now remember – my dog was chipped in 2008.

I called the nice man at Home Again, introduced myself and told him my story. He looked up Sugarfoot’s chip number and told me that they had no information about that number – that the AKC had “taken it with them” when the split between Home Again and AKC/CAR occurred. He then told me that if I sent in a letter from the AKC confirming that they had Sugarfoot in their registry, Home Again would put me in their database free of charge. I said I had a letter dated 3/27/08 confirming my enrollment with the AKC/CAR.

“Well,” said the nice young man, “You would have to have a letter dated before March of 2005 in order to get the free switch-over.”

I took a deep breath. “And how,” I asked sweetly, “Would I get such a letter when the dog in question wasn’t even BORN until June of 2008?”

The nice man said, “Oh.”

Long story short – I ended up paying a total of $30.00 for the entrance of my dog’s information in their database and a stainless steel tag with her chip number and Home Again’s phone number. (At least I won’t have to look at that AKC logo on her collar tag anymore.) This $30.00 also got me one year’s “free” enrollment in their program which pays up to $5,000.00 in vet bills should my dog be recovered in a sick or damaged condition, and up to $500.00 air fare to get her home if she should be recovered in a distant location. (I can renew this swell deal for $14.95 annually, when my free trial runs out.)

So why didn’t the AKC transfer their potentially life-safing info to Home Again’s database when they split? And why did NO ONE notify me of the potentially disastrous consequences for my dog when the Home Again chip yielded NO INFORMATION when my possibly collarless dog turned up in a shelter or vet’s clinic? And why, oh why did my VET give me the AKC/CAR paperwork to fill out when the AKC had split with Home Again 3 years before?

This is not over. I’m pissed!

Oooh, thanks for the "head's up". I read the earlier threads as well, and fretted a bit over the fact that my vet uses "Home Again", but consoled myself that it's been a while since they split from ACK.

I haven't yet microchipped my pup (he's not allowed outside except when leashed while recovering from surgery), but I'd been planning on having him chipped in the near future. I'd love to hear an update on "what microchip [if any] do you use and does it subsidize ACK?"

Oooh, thanks for the "head's up". I read the earlier threads as well, and fretted a bit over the fact that my vet uses "Home Again", but consoled myself that it's been a while since they split from ACK.

I haven't yet microchipped my pup (he's not allowed outside except when leashed while recovering from surgery), but I'd been planning on having him chipped in the near future. I'd love to hear an update on "what microchip [if any] do you use and does it subsidize ACK?"

I can't say I have a bone to pick with Home Again. They can't force you to register your dog once its chipped, but my vet should have known better than to give me useless AKC paperwork. And the AKC... They "took the records with them? " Isn't the whole point of having a chip that if the dog gets out without a collar you can get info from the chip? If the chip is not registered with Home Again, (and how would they know that that chip was not still sitting on my vet's shelf?) and there's no collar tag to provide a link with the AKC database, then my dog is DEAD IN THE WATER! The AKC's bland assertions that they have the welfare of our dogs at heart is a tissue of lies when they do nothing to protect that dog that I spent good money to safeguard with a microchip. They took my registration money and I was left with the completely illusory notion that that microchip could save her life. To be fair, they didn't know that I hadn't registered her with Home Again - on the other hand, the paperwork I filled out was on a vet's handout, and it would seem to be a courtesy to let me know that they and Home Again did not share a database. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that I might not have double registered her, and since they already had my money they could have put a half-sheet insert into the letter that contained my confirmation with them and my tag. RRRRrrrrrrrrrrr!

Hey, um, AVID is okay right? Vala's microchip is with AVID. Nothing to do with AKC/Home Again yes? Their website looked great, very professional...

Nellie got lost (she ran in a thunderstorm early one morning) and the people who found her called the yellow tag from CAR/HomeAgain. They were told that the database had no record of her number. Luckily she had her regular collar tags as well (she got lost on the OBX so people assumed she belonged to a tourist visiting the area) and when they called my cell number I was able to go get her. I still don't know what would have happened if she had lost her collar and had the chip scanned. When I called the CAR number on her tags, they said that they had sent out new tags after the change but I never got one. Thanks for the reminder though because Nellie and one of my cats have the old chips and I need to check into getting them updated.

Lisa

After reading this it's worthwhile to make sure if your dog is chipped (like Jin is with Avid) that you check out the registration. I will later today.

After reading this it's worthwhile to make sure if your dog is chipped (like Jin is with Avid) that you check out the registration. I will later today.

Yes, chipping is worthless if the paperwork isn't done properly. Senneca was chipped at the shelter and they gave me the forms to transfer the registration to my name (which I did immediately). Rhys was chipped by our rescue (as are all our dogs that aren't already chipped). We actually offer micro-chipping at our booth at rescue events and get the papers filled in right on the spot as people loose/forget/don't bother otherwise.

I'd be pretty angry at my vet if they had done something like that to me. I expect my vet (and techs and assistants) to know and care about little details like that.

I'm not sure that I understand your concern/beef. You bought an AKC/CAR chip and registered your dog with them. You didn't buy a HomeAgain microchip, so why would you expect your dog's info to be in HomeAgain's database?

HomeAgain has it's own database called Pet Recovery Service.

AKC/CAR has their own database called Companion Animal Recovery.

Avid has their own database called Pet Trac.

24PetWatch has it's own database.

ResQ has their own database called PetLink.

Etc.

None of the databases share their information. However, a universal scanner should be able to read any of the standard microchips.

I'm not sure that I understand your concern/beef. You bought an AKC/CAR chip and registered your dog with them. You didn't buy a HomeAgain microchip, so why would you expect your dog's info to be in HomeAgain's database?

Ah, I see. But if someone scans the chip, will they know if it is an AKC/CAR chip or a HomeAgain chip?

Is the issue because she actually bought a HomeAgain chip, but her vet gave her the AKC/CAR registration and therefore that's who she registered with?

I admit I'm confused too - not that hating the ACK isn't worthwhile and all, but it really seems to me that it's the VET who really messed up here - and presumably has done so with every animal they've chipped since 2005? That's the type of thing to make me go looking for a new vet!

Etc.

None of the databases share their information. However, a universal scanner should be able to read any of the standard microchips.

Yes but if you have a dog that was chipped by AKC/CAR before the split in 2005 and have your original tags, someone calling the tag number will be told that there is no record of your animal in their database. As I have expressed in an old thread, I think it is only appropriate for people to be referred to the registry that was split off rather than told that there is no record of that animal. I have two animals chipped with AKC/CAR chips before the registry split and despite up-to-date contact information was never sent updated tags. I wasn't sent updated tags after Nellie was lost either despite requesting them. I realize that it is not AKC/CARs responsibility to update my tags at this point since we should be listed under the other registry (who I did request updated tags from) but if they cared about animals being returned to their owners, they should refer callers to the new registry and not just act as though these chip numbers belong to people who never bothered to register their animals or update their information ~ especially since that is the organization that the animals were originally chipped and registered with. Right now, I rely on my personal ID tags and hope that the chips, if scanned, will still be sorted out through the correct registry.

So my situation is different than the OPs but I feel that the AKCs behavior during this process indicates a higher concern for money than actually reuniting owners and their lost pets. I'm glad this thread was posted becaused it has encouraged me to look into this situation again and make sure that my chip information will indeed get my dog and cat back home to me.

Also, I make sure that my dogs are scanned each year at their annual checkup to make sure their chips are still readable. Just something people need to think about ~ chips may not last the life of the animal. Nellie's chip is 6 or 7 years old now.

Lisa

Lisa

Etc.

The microchip I bought at my vet's (in 2009) WAS a Home Again chip. Not knowing any better, I assumed that the (AKC) registry papers given to me at that time were the ones I was supposed to use. I did not get anything that suggested that I should also register the chip with Home Again. I figured that the AKC was responsible for the registry and Home Again just manufactured the chip. As I now understand it, AKC/Car never manufactured chips - they were in partnership with Home Again. When they were partners they had a common database, or at least their databases were linked somehow. But after the split the AKC took "their" registry with them and Home Again no longer had that information.

My vet should not have given me AKC/CAR registry forms. I should have been given Home Again paperwork. Having only been experienced with Avid chips I had no way of knowing that there were separate registries for Home Again and AKC/CAR.

It's possible that my vet didn't know about the split, but he should have. After all, it happened in 2005!

Ah, I see. But if someone scans the chip, will they know if it is an AKC/CAR chip or a HomeAgain chip?

It depends. I know we've had the issue come up scanning a stray at the vet clinic where I work. The dog had a chip, and we could read the chip, but HomeAgain told us that it wasn't a HomeAgain number. This was awhile ago, and the chip ended up being with a registry nobody at the clinic knew about (it wasn't AKC/CAR... maybe Petwatch?). I want to say the HomeAgain people pointed us in the right direction. At any rate, the dog got back home, but I have to question how many shelters would follow through on trying to find which registry the chip is from.

Personally I think all these new registries popping up with microchips are a bad thing for people who just want to get their pets back. I wouldn't chip my own pets with anything but Avid or HomeAgain, but we seem to get a lot of pets with AKC/CAR chips.

I did a bit of research on this and what I find is a horrible mess. I do note that the Home Again registry will allow any make of chip to be registered -- and I think that applies to others as well. "Universal" chip readers may (or may not) actually read all types, and if they do, may or may not actually give the the number. In some cases it may only detect the presence of the chip. How do shelters cope with all this?

The microchip I bought at my vet's (in 2008) WAS a Home Again chip. Not knowing any better, I assumed that the (AKC) registry papers given to me at that time were the ones I was supposed to use. I did not get anything that suggested that I should also register the chip with Home Again.

I thought you said you chipped your dog in 2009? It doesn't matter, though. It sounds to me like your beef should be with your vet and you should probably inform your vet that he should be telling his clients to register with HomeAgain (which you can do online). I'm not sure how your vet could be so misinformed, but he's really doing a disservice to his clients.

I did not get anything that suggested that I should also register the chip with Home Again.

You shouldn't have ALSO registered your chip with HomeAgain. You should have only registered your chip with HomeAgain, unless you wanted to register with multiple databases to be extra safe, which is an option for anyone wanting to pay multiple registration fees.

I did a bit of research on this and what I find is a horrible mess. I do note that the Home Again registry will allow any make of chip to be registered -- and I think that applies to others as well. "Universal" chip readers may (or may not) actually read all types, and if they do, may or may not actually give the the number. In some cases it may only detect the presence of the chip. How do shelters cope with all this?

That's why it is probably best to stick with the Big Two - Avid and HomeAgain. Unfortunately, many folks' pets come to them already chipped and they have to either chip them again (I've done this) or take their chances that the person scanning their pet has a scanner that will read the chip.

That's why it is probably best to stick with the Big Two - Avid and HomeAgain. Unfortunately, many folks' pets come to them already chipped and they have to either chip them again (I've done this) or take their chances that the person scanning your pet has a scanner that will read the chip.

Chipping again also has a problem; chip readers stop when they find a chip, and don't necessarily read another one. It's a matter of chance (or better said, too many factors to be able to predict) which chip would get read first.

Chipping again also has a problem; chip readers stop when they find a chip, and don't necessarily read another one. It's a matter of chance (or better said, too many factors to be able to predict) which chip would get read first.

As long as both chips are registered, it shouldn't be a problem.

I thought you said you chipped your dog in 2009? It doesn't matter, though. It sounds to me like your beef should be with your vet and you should probably inform your vet that he should be telling his clients to register with HomeAgain (which you can do online). I'm not sure how your vet could be so misinformed, but he's really doing a disservice to his clients.

You shouldn't have ALSO registered your chip with HomeAgain. You should have only registered your chip with HomeAgain, unless you wanted to register with multiple databases to be extra safe, which is an option for anyone wanting to pay multiple registration fees.

That's why it is probably best to stick with the Big Two - Avid and HomeAgain. Unfortunately, many folks' pets come to them already chipped and they have to either chip them again (I've done this) or take their chances that the person scanning their pet has a scanner that will read the chip.

Thanks for pointing out the 2008/2009 error. My dog was born in 2008. She was chipped when I got her in 2009.

The reason I registered her initially with AKC/CAR was because that was the ONLY registration paperwork I was given at the time she was chipped. As I said before, I didn't know then that Home Again had its own registry.

I have thoroughly raked my vet over the coals this morning. They had no excuse for supplying me with useless registry papers. They promised that they would contact Home Again and get the proper paperwork to give to clients from now on. I also told them to call each and every client that they have supplied with the wrong registry paperwork. I don't know if they will or not, but my cat is due for booster shots and I'l be asking them what they've done when we get there for that.

As I said, I have my dogs scanned whenever I can think of it (annual checkups, animal shelter/rescue events) just to make sure the chip is in the same position and still working. I had one shelter worker tell me that Pip Squeak wasn't chipped and didn't find the chip until I said, "Oh yes she is" and they scanned her a second time and more thoroughly. I don't count on the fact that my dog would be scanned if lost or that, if scanned, the chip would be found but they are all chipped and collar tagged in an effort to cover all my bases.

Lisa

I had one shelter worker tell me that Pip Squeak wasn't chipped and didn't find the chip until I said, "Oh yes she is" and they scanned her a second time and more thoroughly.

I watched while one of our rescue people chipped a dog. He is thorough; he first checks to see if the dog has a chip and then once again afterwards to validate that the chip is implanted properly. In this case, he chipped the dog -- and obviously knew exactly where the chip should be, but had to try repeatedly to actually get the reader to show the chip was present. Anyone who didn't know that the chip was there would probably have said the dog wasn't chipped. Technology is good, but imperfect.

I think I am still confused. Your vet, imo, should refund you the cost you paid to have the dog registered with the paperwork they supplied. But still, there is some "owner responsibility" here as well.

Hmmmm. Well, I haven't asked my vet for a refund on the AKC paperwork fee. But now that you mention it I think I will. As for owner responsibility, I thought I had fulfilled that when I filled out and mailed the paperwork my vet gave me at the time he put in the microchip. I fail to see how I did not act responsibly there - and when I discovered the problem/error by reading about the split between AKC/ CAR & Home Again here on the Boards, I quickly contacted Home Again and registered my dog. What more could I/ should I have done?

Still confused...you said initially

I got my dog microchipped when I got her at the age of 6 mos. This was on 3/25/09. When I got the chip the paperwork that the vet gave me was for the AKC/CAR ID System I filled it out, sent it in and paid the fee of $19.95 plus an additional $5.00 for a stainless steel tag.

The tag came in the mail, I put it on my dog’s collar and relaxed, knowing that if, heaven forbid, my dog got lost she had a good chance of being returned to me by the miracle of microchip technology.

Then you called Home Again, right? Did you ever call AKC/CAR and see if she is registered with them? So, why pay Home Again, if you already registered her with the other program? This is the "owner responsibility" I am speaking of. You yourself filled out the paperwork, why the indignation, unless AKC said they did not have her registered and they simply took your money? I don't get it, it's not like the dog wasn't registered at all was she? Or is it that she was registered somewhere you did not want her to be, yet you filled out the paperwork?