BC Boards

Anybody read this?

geonni banner

Has anybody read the e-book by Debra Jacobs on working with a shy or fearful dog? Looks pretty good - no "Throw 'em in the deep end" garbage. It seems that there is not a paper edition of this book. I'll have to print it out. I hate reading books on the computer - I can't take them outside!

May I make a suggestion Geonni? There comes a point where you can read too many books. Information gets lost some info gets crossed and all of a sudden you have something that is a piece of this and something of that when put together looks good but in fact it won't work. This is especially true when working with a smart dog. Use caution and thought before applying something you've read.

May I make a suggestion Geonni? There comes a point where you can read too many books. Information gets lost some info gets crossed and all of a sudden you have something that is a piece of this and something of that when put together looks good but in fact it won't work. This is especially true when working with a smart dog. Use caution and thought before applying something you've read.

Undoubtedly true, on the other hand a hi-res picture is clearer than a lo-res one. Why? More "information." If you get lots of POVs on an object you can see all the way around it - front, back and sides - top and bottom. I trained dogs for about three years - one on one basic obedience. I started out pretty much a straight "Koehler" trainer. I scorned those that I referred to as cookie-pushers. But after awhile, watching different people work different dogs, (Or some time the same people working different dogs.) and reading whatever came to hand on the subject, I found that gosh darn.... cookies DO have their place in a training program. I "discovered" clicker training by watching people working with animals in films. All of these trainers, yes, even Bill Koehler have something valuable to say about training. I love working with dogs. I am blessed with the ability to "read" them accurately in most cases. But I have plenty to learn - and well, a full arsenal is usually better that an single side-arm.

As I've said before, Sugarfoot is a dog with some issues - some anxiety - some fearfulness. But I am watching it gradually melt away. A really happy, confident dog is in there. And she's coming out! Easy does it - and we are both getting better!

BTW, I went and visited your Desert Ranger page. Great! I have to order one of those bandanas after Xmas. Very cool idea!

• 1 month later...
Actually Debbie's book is GOOD....and she's got the experience.

Have you seen the website?

http://www.fearfuldogs.com ?

Went to the website, downloaded the book thru PayPal, but can't find it on my computer. I e-mailed the site and asked for a resend.

Edit:

Got my resent pdf of the book and was able to access it and print it out. From a quick perusal while printing it looks good! Now to implement...

With all due respect, this has actually been the total opposite of my own experience.

Maybe it depends a lot on the person. I've had great success from reading many books, considering many viewpoints, and applying many different approaches with my own fearful dog.

He passes for normal now in most situations and he glows with joy most of the time.

Geonni, I've never read that e-book, but I love the website and I think the book is probably worth a read.