BC Boards

Define for me "Hi value treat"

desertranger

High value treats are a challenge with Layla. She has a VERY sensitive stomach. We use EVO baked treats and she's been reacting well. Also, Pet Botanics lamb/rice roll. This product has a smokey aroma and flavor... Yes, i've tasted it... 1/8" slice then cube, then freeze in ziplock bags.

yup high value is whatever the dog goes gaga over. I prefer to avoid the use of store aought cookies, I usually only have them as bedtime snack, each dog get ONE per night..thats it, ever. they go nuts over them but I would not use them as training treats! I usually use just plain old Kibble..my dogs eat raw so kibble to them IS cookies..you should see the odd time they get a kibble meal..they think they just hit the jackpot,I mean a entire supper bowl filled with cookies! for some of my dogs kibble IS a high value treat, for others its not. for Happy "high value" means fetch..NOT a toy..just "Fetch" a toy alone means nothing..she will play fetch with ANYTHING..she tried to bring me the broom at work yesterday..she brought me a barbed wire fence once..try to reward her with food? she will drop it at your feet and bark at you to throw it for her. I think one she always keep in mind though that for some dogs "high value" is TOO high, where they get so obessed with the reward that they completly loose their minds and simply cannot focas at all in the presence of it. you have to find a balance and it varies by the dog. for my retiever I cant use anything higher value then a cat treat or she looses her marbles.

When we do agility, for Senneca, a "High Value Treat" is anything that someone else has. I have cheese (and she loves cheese), but the other persons cheese is so much more tempting than mine. I have Natural Balance dog roll pieces (usually covered in braunschweiger)? Those hotdog pieces are always more attractive. The instructor tempts with string cheese? Much better than mine -- even if it from the same pack. Sigh.