BC Boards

Flexi leash isn't flexing

4.5 years, 3 Flexis so far. They last a good long time around my house, but at some point, something seems to give, and they stop flexing... which does make them no better than a long lead with no spring. Useless if you're walking on the street.

Still, I love it. Buddy never pulls on it, and it lets him roam much wider than he could roam in my neighborhood without it.

Mary

You know what I love about flexis? That some of them have a bags-on-board dispenser built right into the handle. You can't forget your bags!

That said, Odin broke his flexi we used when he was a puppy and we've never gotten another, mainly b/c around the time it broke he decided to become a draft pony and we needed to go back to a basic 4-ft lead to retrain.

When our Flexi leash quit retracting DH very carefully took it apart. When he noticed the coil wasn't broken he kept spraying it with WD40 until he got all the trash (sand, bits of grass, etc.) out of it. He then oiled the coil and put it back together. It's worked perfectly ever since. Good luck!

I've also read how dangerous flexi's can be. Broken frongers and hands, rope and webbing burns. Would rather carry a 25foot long lead.

You do have to be careful with them. Nevertheless, I loved to use mine with pups in the pasture. They could do a little roaming and I didn't have a long line dragging in the cow poop. I also liked it for pottying the pup in the yard as it gave him controlled freedom to find just the right spot and have a little privacy.

I use my flexi leash every day, and it's a great. Not when jogging, then we use the 6 foot leash, but for our 3/day walks are all done on a flexi leash. He broke two - severed them with his incredibly sharp puppy teeth - grrr! - and after my husband saw the last one back, a year later it got stollen at a small dog park - I left it on the table while I was throwing balls for my dog, and when I turned around it was gone. That was 2 years ago, and I had to go get him a new one $47 or so - we still have it and for now it's going strong.

I had the flexi-leash only temporarly get "limp", but once I unroll a few feet and pull it back in it detangles and works again.

OK, I'll see if I can take it apart this weekend and clean it. DesertRanger, a lead of that length is unmanageable for me in the dark, and with another dog along to keep an eye on as well.

I've had this one for at least 3 years, and have only used it daily for the last 18 months. We'll see if Ms. FixIt will prevail!

Thanks,

Ruth

My flexi is 11 years now now...same age as my dog. If it gets wet or sandy, it stops retracting. If I leave it all the way out until its totally dry, it will start working again. My parents dog's flexi broke - wouldn't retract....It was several years ago but I remember taking it apart and whatever it was taht was broken, I couldn't fix.

When our Flexi leash quit retracting DH very carefully took it apart. When he noticed the coil wasn't broken he kept spraying it with WD40 until he got all the trash (sand, bits of grass, etc.) out of it. He then oiled the coil and put it back together. It's worked perfectly ever since. Good luck!

This is how we fixed DH's leash. I hate the things but he loves it and was sad when it kept catching. A little WD40 worked wonders. I think we got it inside using the little red straw that comes with the can.