BC Boards

Pressed into Service

It was dark and misty this morning, still a bit cold at 6:00. It was the day for fall shearing. I glanced at the old dog, Tess. She was snoring loudly on the bed and had put in a full day the prior before, moving sheep from down the road and sorting. She also took on a pair of belligerent rams, head on and won. Her feet, soft from retirement, were sore from running on hot pavement and I could see she was dreaming, perhaps running as a youngster again.

I let her sleep on with her head on my pillow and gently called her daughter, Rainey. Rainey, still a youngster, not quite two, just started to learn the farm chores, leapt up from the bed, eyes bright and gleaming.

RainB.jpg

I shivered as I walked outside and Rainey danced in glee. The main flock was hidden in the mist, soft, shadowy shapes, and Rainey turned to me, a gentle wag of her tail. I gave her a flank and she shot off like bullet and I waited. I could see nothing but white. Nothing appeared.

Suddenly they appeared. A white wave of wool followed by a black dot. I counted and the young one had brought the entire flock, without a word from me.

RainA.jpg

I opened the gate and they streamed in. The old dog, Tess did well with her daughter. Tess can sleep in and I now, have a good partner.

Rainey smiled at me, her white teeth sharp against her pink tongue. I reached down to her, petted her on her silky head and said, “That’ll do, Rain.”

And she will do, just fine in fact.

It was dark and misty this morning, still a bit cold at 6:00. It was the day for fall shearing. I glanced at the old dog, Tess. She was snoring loudly on the bed and had put in a full day the prior before, moving sheep from down the road and sorting. She also took on a pair of belligerent rams, head on and won. Her feet, soft from retirement, were sore from running on hot pavement and I could see she was dreaming, perhaps running as a youngster again.

I let her sleep on with her head on my pillow and gently called her daughter, Rainey. Rainey, still a youngster, not quite two, just started to learn the farm chores, leapt up from the bed, eyes bright and gleaming.

RainB.jpg

I shivered as I walked outside and Rainey danced in glee. The main flock was hidden in the mist, soft, shadowy shapes, and Rainey turned to me, a gentle wag of her tail. I gave her a flank and she shot off like bullet and I waited. I could see nothing but white. Nothing appeared.

Suddenly they appeared. A white wave of wool followed by a black dot. I counted and the young one had brought the entire flock, without a word from me.

RainA.jpg

I opened the gate and they streamed in. The old dog, Tess did well with her daughter. Tess can sleep in and I now, have a good partner.

Rainey smiled at me, her white teeth sharp against her pink tongue. I reached down to her, petted her on her silky head and said, “That’ll do, Rain.”

And she will do, just fine in fact.

Diane,

Your description is just beautiful . Your respect for Tess and your enthusiasm for Rainey shine through

with love for both.

I met both girls at Klamath and from their demeanor it is clear they are two happy campers with Diane. Now Diane, if you can just put some weight ( or take some off??) Rainey she will be perfect!! Ha Ha!

Carolyn