BC Boards

Is this a bug bite? Remnant of a Tick?

Guest maya's mom

Guest maya's mom

While petting Maya this morning, I felt a small raised bump on her "shoulder" area. My first concern was that it was a tick, as we have had her on a few walks in the woods lately, including yesterday morning. I moved the hair back, and saw this red spot. There did not appear to be a tick in that spot right now. I saw nothing black, no blood, etc. It just looks red, and maybe a little "dry". It doesn't bother her when I touch it, nor did she care that I was taking these pictures of it. She is on Frontline Plus, and is almost 2 years old. She has never had a tick, or a flea on her. She is not itching the spot, or itching anywhere on her for that matter, so I do not think it is fleas. Just trying to get an idea of what this might be, so I can decide if it warrants a call to the vet tomorrow if it still looks the same, or if it were to get worse. Thanks in advance for any responses!

***I have edited this post after hearing that the pictures weren't able to be viewed. Please see my post a few down and let me know if you can see them this way. Thank you.

108_1796.jpg

I cannot see the pictures either, but a raised red bump could be from a tick. We have been fighting the tick war as well here and have found raised red bumps on the dogs...(here comes the super ewwwwww) and both Chris and I have had a raised red bump from a tick biting us while asleep. There isn't any blood on them, and they are itchy as HE**. It could be that a tick latched on and then died. It could be an ant bite or another insect as well.

Guest maya's mom

I'm sorry about the pictures. (JohnLloydJones, thanks for inputting the link.) Thank you for the replies. I guess I will call the vet tomorrow just to be safe. We didn't get the Lyme vaccine, b/c both we and the vet didn't think our area was in a high enough risk category. I am hoping that if it was a tick that bit her, maybe the Frontline killed it........

I edited this post after I uploaded my photos to photobucket. Please let me know if they are viewable now.........thank you!

108_1795.jpg

108_1796.jpg

I'm sorry about the pictures. (JohnLloydJones, thanks for inputting the link.) Thank you for the replies. I guess I will call the vet tomorrow just to be safe. We didn't get the Lyme vaccine, b/c both we and the vet didn't think our area was in a high enough risk category. I am hoping that if it was a tick that bit her, maybe the Frontline killed it........

I edited this post after I uploaded my photos to photobucket. Please let me know if they are viewable now.........thank you!

108_1795.jpg

108_1796.jpg

As an ex-vet tech, I've seen lots of tick bites that looked like that, but I can't rule out something else.

I have found a few ticks embedded on Duncan the first few months we had him (between ages of ~ 2 months to 3 or 4 months; some were on his torso/abdomen while one was in his ear), even though we started him on Vectra 3D when he was two months old. (We live in "tick and Lyme" heaven). We've removed all ticks we've found with tweezers. The first tick we found (several days after his first Vectra application) left a raised red spot (similar to what I think I see in your photos) that took a couple of weeks to go away. The vet said that this sort of response to a tick bite was common. He recommended we use a topical antibiotic (Neosporin ointment or equivalent) whenever we pulled a tick.

Apparently the topical antitick meds will kill ticks but not before they've left a "bite" mark.

Still, it doesn't hurt to get it checked out.

Good luck!

- Lynn

Guest maya's mom

Thanks for the additional responses. My dog walker will be here tomorrow, and she is a very experienced dog owner, running a greyhound rescue organization and being a trainer. She said she'd look at it for me, and give me her opinion also. Hopefully it looks better and I can stop worrying. But if it doesn't, I will call the vet. Thanks again!

Guest maya's mom

Just thought I'd post a follow up after my vet visit, in case anyone else sees sores like this on their dog. It wasn't a tick, but I found three other sores on her head and snout. The vet said that something either bit her, or some jaggers got her. The sore on her leg was infected. (It actually looked worse today than in the picture I posted yesterday. Red and seeping.) So, they shaved the areas around the sores and gave me an antibiotic/steroid cream to apply. So, all in all, I'm glad I went to the vet. Thanks all!

It could be something that's pierced her skin. It's grass seed season here and I'm pulling alot of grass seeds off Bonnie everyday, some of them have pierced her skin by the time I find them and they leave a raised red bump like that when I pull them out. I'd probably keep an eye on her for a temperature or more swelling around the site that could indicate that the grass seed has moved under her skin - just in case...

Guest maya's mom

AussieRed--You bring up something I've never even thought of. I did a search on grass seed, grass awn and foxtails online, and now I am worried. I can not seem to get a clear answer on if these things are prevelent in Western Pennsylvania. When I had Maya at the ver yesterday, she didn't even mention those things, though I did tell her we'd been on some walks in the fields/woods lately. I'd hope that if it was an issue here, that she would bring it up. But you know how the internet can be. It can make every problem seem like your problem, you know! I anyone knows or thinks that grass awn could be Maya's problem, please let me know. Currently, two of the four "sores" are somewhat open and scabbing over........Thank you.

AussieRed--You bring up something I've never even thought of. I did a search on grass seed, grass awn and foxtails online, and now I am worried. I can not seem to get a clear answer on if these things are prevelent in Western Pennsylvania. When I had Maya at the ver yesterday, she didn't even mention those things, though I did tell her we'd been on some walks in the fields/woods lately. I'd hope that if it was an issue here, that she would bring it up. But you know how the internet can be. It can make every problem seem like your problem, you know! I anyone knows or thinks that grass awn could be Maya's problem, please let me know. Currently, two of the four "sores" are somewhat open and scabbing over........Thank you.

I'm sorry, I really didn't mean to scare you. I've just got grass seeds on my mind constantly at the moment because it's that season, and also because I've recently moved to a more grass-seed-problem prone area. Although we had our fair share of problem grass seeds where I used to live, they are much more common here due to the types of grasses. I'm in Australia so I don't know if they're prevalent in your area but you could call your vet and ask if he/she has ever seen problems related to grass seeds - if not, then I'd say you're pretty safe :rolleyes:

Edit: Also, you guys would be in spring now right? Grasses come to seed in autumn (late winter/early autumn here) when the days get warmer and longer, so you shouldn't have seeds around to cause a problem right now.