BC Boards

I don't know why but she made me so angry...

Who was she? Did she identify herself as being part owner of this soccer field or something to that effect? If not she may have just been one of the moms that had no business telling you what to do at all.

I understand how you feel...just like you told her...your not her child, your an adult and don't need someone hovering over you while you are doing just what you taught your dogs to do for the reason that you taught them.

Some people don't understand that courtesy and politeness can get you alot further than just being plain nasty.

Soccer Mom's Pfst!! She was just mad because your dog is smarter then her honor roll student, and more agile then her soccer kid! :rolleyes: I definately would have handled it alot worse. :eek:

I'm the guy who ended up going "down town" *Foo and I both got a ride in the police car :D hey i wasn't leaving her behind and the cop didn't want any trouble out of me LOL* because i was ready to take on a group of drunk idiots. Well they kept threatening my dog! (who was laying at my feet, not bothering anyone!) I let it slide for a few minutes, and instead of leaving... I opened my mouth! :D I believed I called them "The offspring of a motherless goat!" or something to the effect.

Anyway some people just suck! If she was polite about it you probably would not return to the soccer field right? If i was you i'd go everyday, with a leash of course!! And smile and wave everytime i saw her! Maybe even go to the kids, and let my dog get some socializing OoOOo!!

lol.. I'd have (of course) kindly informed her she'd be waiting a while. "I'll leave when Im good and ready. Last time I checked you arent the park police and until you are back the hell off".

I'd go again and let her gripe at you, so what. She wants to be an old hag fine, but she is in no way better than you and in no way has any authority over you. If she'd have said "we dont want dogs here", I'd be like.. we who? I dont see your "we" I see a person alone and frankly I dont care what you want....

Sorry, people like that really tick me off. What a jerk.

Wow. Some people have more time than they really need. I mean seriously, what was the point of kicking you off the field?? Jeez... you'd think your dogs were frantically scattering poop all over the field for her kid to step in the next day. In fact, that's not a bad idea....... (JOKING!)

I would have had my blood boiling as well. Ugh.

First of all I would find out in minute detail the laws ,regulations and usage allowances pertaining to this paticular property.

If I found that I was permitted to use the grounds with my dogs then I would most likely make it a point to use it ALOT!

I would get her license plate #,run a check and ID her,assertain if she has any actually authority in regard to this property (most likely just some corncob up the A#% self rightous hag whos little "johnny" got some GOD FORBID! dog poop on his designer soccer shoes once and she had to seal them in a bio bag and send to the landfill)and if she doesn't have any authority I would lay ambush for her and the next time she got in my face like that I would give her 3 choices,,Mace in your face,,,a good old fasion butt kickin or run away like a scared little girl and NEVER approach within lesh length of me again or I would concider it an invasion of my personal space and would protect myself from her threat with all means at my disposal.

NAA to much hassle,I would just find out where she lives and go rearrange her shrubbery some dark night.J/k :rolleyes:

So you guys are saying you wouldn't have left? Does she not have the right to command me to leave?

I think I will find out the law...and show up at the soccer practice to socialize my dogs with the kids. I am pretty sure dogs on leash are allowed or they'd have to put a sign up.

Hallelujia! I second that advice. Find out the law and your rights, and get her plate.

Don't stop going there. And if she doesn't leave you alone report her to the cops, carry mace and get a restraining order if you must!

PS

Do you have a cell phone? If so be sure and bring it to the park. Call asap when she shows up and runs her mouth! Let the cops deal with her b!tchy butt...lol.

I agree totally with you. Just be sure and know your rights and carry poop bags and since your dogs are so well trained, and now will be onleash(a pain because I agree, they really need off leash excercise everyday)I can't imagine how you could be in the wrong...

ARGGG!!! That would make me M-A-D!

Was she just some person or did she work for the park or something? If there was no sign or park rules then how would she know?!?

Did you hear about the new CGC rules? They are making the test easier every day. Now just about any dog that can sit can pass it. But originally that was kind of the point of CGC but no one went alone with it. Now the test doesn't really prove much of anything. :rolleyes:

I am so glad that around here at our park everyone knows my dogs and loves to see them run and play!

INU ! Hisashiburi ! I was wondering how you were.

I'd check the law if I were you. I wish you had asked her who she was... Sounds like she was "policing" the area like she owns it but if they are public soccer fields then ......???? I think I may have done the same thing as you - demonstrated that my dog was under my control. I let Dylan off leash or let his long leash drop every day and am always demonstrating the fact that he is under my voice control to people who don't know us. I want them to know I am being responsible so I really understand why you acted that way.

I just hate getting mad because you lose a fight the minute you lose temper - I went through that with my hubby a lot
Did you get divorced already ? :rolleyes:

Don't bother checking the law. Most municpaliities in the U.S. now have leash ordinances. And many parks, like soccer facilities, even have rules that say no dogs, even on leash. That's because many (most?) people still don't clean up after their dogs. Legally, you've got no ground to stand on, as far as the off-leash is concerned. I'm sure she was a soccer Mom and I'm also sure many people who let their dogs run on those fields do NOT clean up after them. It's probably something all the other soccer Moms gripe about while they watch games.

I live in the suburbs. I know all the fields where I can sorta kinda got let my dogs play frisbee off leash. I am appalled when I see other dog owners there not cleaning up after their dogs. And every now and then there's somebody who takes it upon him or herself to let me know I'm violating the leash law.

I try to be very polite and humble because I am, of course, violating the law. But if someone gets confrontational I usually ask what made them so miserable and unhappy in their own lives that they feel they have to step up and prevent other people from having a smile on their faces.. Then I say that dogs make people happy and, trust me, you need some happiness in your life, because you just look mean.

Try that next time. You won't win, but you'll feel like you've won a small moral victory.

Originally posted by GeorgiaBC:

And every now and then there's somebody who takes it upon him or herself to let me know I'm violating the leash law.

I try to be very polite and humble because I am, of course, violating the law. But if someone gets confrontational I usually ask what made them so miserable and unhappy in their own lives that they feel they have to step up and prevent other people from having a smile on their faces.. Then I say that dogs make people happy and, trust me, you need some happiness in your life, because you just look mean.

Try that next time. You won't win, but you'll feel like you've won a small moral victory.

I love it. So true and very good advice!

BTW, I used to dog sled in a local park. It was maybe 200 acres of woods and fields with miles of trails. It was a fairly wealthy town, so I was usually sharing the trails with stay at home moms out for a jog. Many had their kids in those expensive jogging strollers. I was always extremely polite and pulled off to the side if the trail got narrow and put my dogs in a down stay. I NEVER got a complaint from the people I shared the trails with. As a matter of fact, most of them paused long enough to compliment me on having such well trained dogs!

Then one day I was running my team on a perimiter trail and a cop pulled me over. Yes, I got pulled over, flashing lights and all, while riding a dog sled. The cop ordered me to leave the park because "no motorized vehicles were allowed on the trails." Motorized? They allow horses in the park! So, I went to town hall and asked. I was told by the dog office that there were NO laws against dog sledding in the park as long as there was no motor on my cart or sled. From then on if I was bothered by a cop I just told them I had gone to town hall and been told I was within my legal rights as long as I didn't have a motor. The only one who gave me a hassel after that was the animal control officer, but she had issues to begin with!

"no motorized vehicles were allowed on the trails." Motorized?
LOL - that is too funny. Yep, I pour a gallon of gasoline down their throats every morning - get good mileage out of 'em too! :rolleyes:

INU - I would check the laws. She probably has you on the leash law, but if there is no rule against dogs in the park, I would tell her to stuff it.

Originally posted by INU:

She said ?I know there isn?t any sign but you shouldn?t be here with your dogs?.

Says who?

The woman said ?No I ain?t leaving until you leave?.
Guess what? I just changed my mind. They need another hour or two of exercise. Hope you like waiting.

?You pretend like you don?t hear me?It?s a soccer field and it is not for dogs, understand?.
Again, says who?

?She said ?It is very condecending and It's very disrespectful.
So is your attitude.

?I do not want you to ever come back here. We don?t want no dogs here?
Is this, or is this not a public park? When you show me proof of ownership in your name, then I will accept that you have a right to limit my access. Until then, you can expect to see me again. And by the way, who is "we"?

Maybe she was just having a bad day! I teach 1st grade in a public school and I can't tell you how many shoes I've had to clean because the public thinks they have a right to be on public property, regardless of what that property is used for. Inu, I know you clean up after your dogs, but there are many people who don't.

Barb S

If it isn't posted, it isn't posted. Period.

If it is posted, then a dog shouldn't be off leash unless its an act of civil disobedience.

I'm unfortunately one of those people who is pretty irate when in an on leash area and I'm assaulted by a dog off leash.

Puts flame retardant jumpsuit on and runs for the cataract.

Well the thing that gets me is when people infer or say outright that you should take the dog elsewhere - when there IS nowhere else to go. Until recently the closest "dog park" to us was an hour's drive away. I am not going to drive an hour there and an hour back just to play ball with my dog for 20 minutes. If they had more dog-accessible areas I wouldn't mind at all. Not like Zeeke was ever let off-leash though... he's so not trustworthy.

And the other thing that bugs me is that perfectly behaved dogs - like INU's - get that sort of attitude when they're behaving perfectly and not bothering anyone. I understand people get irritated with dog poop left behind and their dog/kid being accosted by uncontrolled dogs, but... I don't think that's any reason to get lippy and rude with someone who ISN'T misbehaving. You know? Don't punish everyone for the morons.

I had an incident happen last year. A friend with greyhounds and I were meeting at local community baseball fields to let our dogs run since baseball fields are fenced in with gates. We did this all winter with no problems. We always picked up after our dogs but saw other people letting their dogs play in other fields not picking up.

Later in the year when practice was starting up we still went but only used the field that appeared unused (unmowed, no bases, etc). At one point we had a woman walk over from a practice in progress to tell us that we weren't allowed in the field. We said that there were no signs and we weren't hurting anything, we also pointed out that we were picking up after our dogs. She was actually fairly nice and explained that the kids were always stepping in (or in one case, falling in!) dog poop that had been left in the fields. She again asked that we leave.

We leashed our dogs and left. I wasn't too offended as she actually did have a reason and we were clearly on a sports field. I understand how frustrating it must be for the kids to step in poop while playing ball, I hate stepping in it! I was upset, as a dog owner, at all the other people that don't clean up after their dogs! It is rude and gross. If you don't want to clean up your yard (I don't), fine, but clean up public property if your dog "goes".

Olivia

Some people have too much angry time on their hands, IMO. I practice "civil disobedience" every day with my dogs as there are no dog parks where I am - unless your dog is under 20 lbs and wants to walk around in gravel in a 20X 20 area designated for it. I have lived here for 10 years and had my share of pissed off park users to deal with, but had my share of lovely experiences with passerby who love to watch my dogs too.

I practice a "mind my own business" policy. And in some areas people are more tolerant than others. Where my BF lives, we regularly share the park with "soccer mums" and their kids playing and there is never an issue, as it's just a more relaxed area. In my area, I have had confrontations with some very angry people indeed. Generally I ask them to see a) their police badge or :rolleyes: their park ranger status. If they can provide neither, I tell them I'm done listening and if they continue to harass me, I'll call the cops on them. I have been threatened with physical violence, probably because I am a woman, and people like this are accustomed to intimidating other people. I find that standing my ground forces them to give some.

Personally, I am tired ofo indulging other people's hatred - of dogs, of not wanting to share "their" park etc. - and while I understand the park may be designated not off leash, if my dogs are doing no harm I expect people to practice a MYOB policy. My dogs are very well known in the area, to the point where the Park Rangers often ask if they can play ball with my dogs and the local cops tell me I can unhook my leashes again as soon as they have left the area If the authorities afford me these liberties, I do not feel I have to take orders from my neighbors regarding park usage.

Interestingly, in my area it is 90% of the time TOURISTS who tell me what the laws in my local park are. I generally ask them where they are from and then suggest they cause trouble for people in their own neighborhoods rather than come to mine and bother me.

RDM

RDM, you are very lucky that the Park Rangers play ball with your dogs and the police say it's OK to break the law behind their backs. Our two closest parks share a pair of rangers (with bikes) who go back and forth looking for rule breakers. There's a 6 foot (no long lines/flexis) leash law with a hefty fine if you're caught.

We do have a dog park in our city, but it's not very big and the people who use it definitely don't clean up after their dogs; guess the city park people don't care since it's for dogs.

Barb S

I just had an interesting conversation with a neighbor in the laundry room of my building. She told me that she has learned to despise dogs since moving to my area. She then went on and on about how lovely my dogs are and how well behaved, then ranted for a good five minutes about how much urine dogs produce and how disgusting it is. Then she said "but your dogs are wonderful and it's obvious they are well trained." Well yes, this is all true - but they still PEE. I didnt, in the end, understand why she hated dogs. I think it's because they urinate, and she seems to believe mine don't do this horrible thing.

This is why it's hard for me to take anti-dog people seriously

Barb - I AM lucky, but it's not just luck. it's things like: I have taught my dogs to come to the side of the path and sit down when joggers are approaching. I have taught them to never bother other people in the park and keep all four feet on the ground. I have taught them all to stay and come on command and we only play in places that no one else is using at the time. I've earned the respect of my local authorities by being a GOOD dog owner. It's definitely not just dumb luck.

RDM